It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Greetings, Hunters!

<span class="bold">Victor Vran</span>, an action filled next step in aRPG design, is available now for Windows and Mac - complete with GOG Galaxy Achievements, DRM-free, and 10% off for the first week!

In a genre that's seen immense highs and extended lows, it seems that we're always waiting for the secret formula for the perfect action RPG. Some say it's all about an overwhelming amount of loot, upgrades and treats galore. Others choose to experiment with new and innovative ways to connect their players, or to give them new types of control over making their character one of a kind. Victor Vran brings its own answers to the table.

It's a game that places movement and action first, truly putting the "action" in the aRPG, eliminating the boundaries of a traditional class system, and opting for freeform gear-based progression. A combat-oriented approach doesn't mean that Victor Vran is lacking in the other departments either - there's plenty of loot to collect and increasingly awesome weapons to find (including what looks an awful lot like a lightsaber) as well as innovative character progression. All that's there, however, is enhanced by an unprecedented movement system that will have you (and up to 4 of your co-op buddies) leaping, dodging and wallrunning. It's a game where survival is based on so much more than how hard you can hit.

GOG.com Exclusive Bonus
For a little something special, your copy of the game will come with a one-time-use GOG.com-exclusive Treasure Key! Just log in to your GOG.com account, start your single-player game, and redeem it in-game for a fountain of gold and the following drops:

- Med Kit (Legendary) - An endless healing potion.
- Hope Destiny Card (Uncommon) - Provides additional health when equipped. Can be equipped on level 2.
- Diamond Demon Power (Uncommon) - Creates a protective shield. Can be equipped immediately.
- Gift Box - A box that can be opened for random loot.
- Red, Green and Blue dyes - Used to colorize your outfit. Transmutation unlocks at level 16.

Q&A With The Devs
Have questions about the game that only the devs can answer? Join the team behind Victor Vran for a special Q&A session this coming Monday!
Boyan (Lead Designer) and Momchil (Designer) from Haemimont Games will be visiting our forums on Monday (July 27) starting 6pm GMT (8pm CEST / 2pm EST / 11am PST to answer all your questions about the game, the life behind game development, or their favorite type of sandwich. Save the date, stay tuned for the announcement thread, and come hang out with us.

Experience the definition of "a" in aRPG with <span class="bold">Victor Vran</span>, DRM-free on GOG.com! The launch discount will last for one week, until Friday, July 31, at 9:59 AM GMT.
zeffyr: 15 pages? What's going on here, can you summarize it for me? :)
CarrionCrow: Long story short, it's a heated argument over who ends up in which bracket for the nude/intoxicated thumb wrestling tournament.
Tried to ask why nudity had to be involved at one point, but never got an answer. =(
Everything's better nude. Well, okay, there's a *small* number of things that aren't, but thumb wrestling isn't one of them.
CarrionCrow: Console gaming especially is really expensive. If you try to keep up, the cost of 60 dollar day one titles will get larger than the cost of a new computer in a hurry.
Ah, but I also have the good habit of waiting for price drops, especially if I have a backlog, or a few of them on different systems, so I keep my costs low, except for collector's editions. Damn these things! Why do they have to have such shiny art books, and soundtracks, and statues, and steelbooks.... oh the steelbooks. The feeling of holding one....

CarrionCrow: PC gaming has the constant obnoxious mantra of "upgrade, upgrade, upgrade", but the software market is totally flooded, driving the price of so many games down just to try to be competitive.
I haven't upgraded in years. YEARS! Money is just too tight, especially for a student. Luckily I got an amazing scholarship which pays for pretty much everything except text books and room and board for the first year, so I'm saving money since I've been eyeing some nice cars around that I want to buy.

CarrionCrow: Bad position to be in when people can get bundles of games for a dollar whenever they want.
I stopped buying bundles. Humble bundle wrecked me with the backlog. And I figured "Is it really smart to buy so many games that I may never play simply due to the size of my backlog?" My motivation drops when there are too many games to play. I mean I paid for them. Why does it feel like a chore to play them?

CarrionCrow: And I'm not even including the collector's edition stuff. Those prices are through the roof.
Yep. I can attest to that. Gotta love when they make amazing CE's and they only charge you something like 10 extra dollars instead of a full blown 150$ price tag.

CarrionCrow: There's one thing about that game that is intensely annoying, that being trying to do keyboard button combinations that are also mapped to movement keys.
Had a few times that I was trying to heal and it didn't want to register since I was also trying to run like hell from some demon that wanted to smash my torso in.
Hello, game over screen.
Talking about Shadow Warrior, I still need to play the classic.

CarrionCrow: Saw a Let's Play for Bound by Flame (the start of it, anyway), and it sounds like your description.
Not world-shatteringly good by any means, but decent.
Get it cheap if you'll even get interested in it. Not something worth 60$, but easily enjoyable for 15-20$. Even more so for less.

CarrionCrow: I still remember how long that took me - 135 hours across the entirety of the Mass Effect series.
Serious time sink right there. (Is time sink one word or two? I've seen it both ways more than once. Need to check that later.)
That's so much faster than me. I like doing everything just so I could say I got bang for my buck, but dang there's so much to do, even though the last 2 major entries felt claustrophobic compared to the first one.
DoctorPirx: That I understand.
Excuse me for being a bit thick, but again, why is there an acoount in the single player to log in to? What is the benefit for having an account for the game? Don't care if it's neccessary to play or not - why is it there?
Well, the game has multiplayer features, eg. co-op play.

As for why they have logins for single player, there can be games that thread the edge, like Dark Souls. Though maybe you might consider that a multiplayer game. Other cases are things like leaderboards, or affecting the game economy despite never interacting with other players.

This game is trying to have a few "social" features, so you can "share" things with your friends even if you aren't actually playing with them live.

Overall, though, I view single-player modes with online features as a form of copy-protection, and believe that's largely why they exist. That view is certainly debatable.
Lodium: Now im getting confused again :(
HijacK: Never mind that! Just enjoy the games. That's why we're here, right? Right? Or am I the only one that's here for that...?!
Excuse me for being a bit thick, but again, why is there an acoount in the single player to log in to? What is the benefit for having an account for the game? Don't care if it's neccessary to play or not - why is it there?
HijacK: Dedicated servers. They help keep the online community of the game healthy by banning toxic players. So let's say you want to play this game with your friend from Africa online. You don't want some one from who knows where to troll you and ruin your game. Oh, and also some treasure hunt system that apparently nobody can properly understand. I won't bother explaining that since there seems to be no common consensus on it, only opinions, and I won't buy the game just to check this and see which side is right.
Ok, thank you. It's basically a multiplayer and/or social feature. So for an unsocial, friendless single player gamer it's completely superfluous. And the GOG bonus goodie is targeted at the mordern social gamer, who is used to having accounts and so on. This I can understand - businesswise.

Thanks for clearing that up.
SeduceMePlz: Everything's better nude. Well, okay, there's a *small* number of things that aren't, but thumb wrestling isn't one of them.
I'm glad you mentioned that small number of things. Otherwise I might have to argue the point with you in a clearly argument-free zone. -laughs-

First thing that came to mind? Extremely large nude people sitting in a room with no air conditioning and eating half-congealed bean dip with their hands....just shoveling it in, them looking like they're trying to frantically consume something resembling the aftermath of a vicious elephant fisting, beads of sweat pouring down their faces, and when the light hits just right, you can see the moisture dance with the flesh ripples...-shudders-
Hot topic. 15 pages... :)
OK, thanks for the answers.

Please correct me if I'm misunderstanding it: the game is DRM-free, but has an optional bonus item and you're not forced to reclaim this bonus item in order to play the game DRM-free.

If that's true, the riot is ridiculous :-)
DoctorPirx: Ok, thank you. It's basically a multiplayer and/or social feature. So for an unsocial, friendless single player gamer it's completely superfluous. And the GOG bonus goodie is targeted at the mordern social gamer, who is used to having accounts and so on. This I can understand - businesswise.

Unfortunately the treasure hunt business is not specific to multiplayer, though you may find that it feels superfluous specifically to you, at least if you don't mind some content being DRM-controlled on GOG.

https://www.gog.com/forum/general/release_victor_vran_92633/post714
DoctorPirx: Ok, thank you. It's basically a multiplayer and/or social feature. So for an unsocial, friendless single player gamer it's completely superfluous. And the GOG bonus goodie is targeted at the mordern social gamer, who is used to having accounts and so on. This I can understand - businesswise.

My pleasure. Hopefully you get to enjoy the game and feel satisfied with it if you ever so decide to purchase and play it.

zeffyr: If that's true, the riot is ridiculous :-)
Eh, I decided it's better to just enjoy life and the games that we get to play.
high rated
zeffyr: OK, thanks for the answers.

Please correct me if I'm misunderstanding it: the game is DRM-free, but has an optional bonus item and you're not forced to reclaim this bonus item in order to play the game DRM-free.

If that's true, the riot is ridiculous :-)
This is not complete, as I just explained above.

There are two problems. The first as you mention is that there is a bonus item which was described as DRM-free which requires an online check, and may only be used one time. Some people feel this control is in itself a DRM-control over the bonus item. I feel that way too, but can certainly see how there is room for debate.

The second is that one game feature will not work even in single player, unless online and logged into the game servers. This is not merely a validity check, but rather the logic is implemented only server side, so it will cease to function if the servers are turned off / cannot be accessed.

There's certainly room for you to not care about that too!
Post edited July 25, 2015 by jsjrodman
HijacK: Potential correction: I believe you are required to create an account on their server to access that feature, hence the backlash.
Corrected, thanks!
Lodium: Im not too sure what im even talking about now.
Got confused again because of claims lol.
Though my understanding is that if you want an easy play lets say with unlimited ammo just to say something then you log online to gain it at the start of the game.
If you dont want an easy play, play the game withouth logging in and withouth the cheat and unlock the feature in the game or at the end of the game.
So i imagine the account is there to prevent people activating the cheat by accident or for people that want a challenge/pure first gameplay withouth being too easy to just activate the cheat.
Ok, thanks, I think I'm beginning to see why the devs are using such a system: "Social/multiplayer reasons". It seemed a bit overkill for simply entering a single player cheat code... ;)
Starmaker: Holy crap. 14 pages.

GOG should hire Justine "hope I don’t get AIDS" Sacco, she'd do a better PR job.
jsjrodman: Your point remaining quite valid...

In the interim, it was determined that some endgamey content is also server-controlled, and will never be available if you do not go online or if their servers go down, so the problem turned out to be a bit larger than originally thought.
Oh? That's not something I am aware of, can you expand on that please?
jsjrodman: Your point remaining quite valid...

In the interim, it was determined that some endgamey content is also server-controlled, and will never be available if you do not go online or if their servers go down, so the problem turned out to be a bit larger than originally thought.
Riotact: Oh? That's not something I am aware of, can you expand on that please?
See https://www.gog.com/forum/general/release_victor_vran_92633/post714
Lodium: Im not too sure what im even talking about now.
Got confused again because of claims lol.
Though my understanding is that if you want an easy play lets say with unlimited ammo just to say something then you log online to gain it at the start of the game.
If you dont want an easy play, play the game withouth logging in and withouth the cheat and unlock the feature in the game or at the end of the game.
So i imagine the account is there to prevent people activating the cheat by accident or for people that want a challenge/pure first gameplay withouth being too easy to just activate the cheat.
DoctorPirx: Ok, thanks, I think I'm beginning to see why the devs are using such a system: "Social/multiplayer reasons". It seemed a bit overkill for simply entering a single player cheat code... ;)
I guess you could consider it something like an extra life in Candy Crush saga. Psychologically I can see this as a system that attracts more buyers. You have one teenager that play this ARPG and tells his friends "Yo, we can have the same legendary items" and they all jump in and play the game. I mean, I've noticed some peculiar behavior regarding social games. People really seem to bond over and increase their cooperation when they do things like this. Myself included.
Post edited July 25, 2015 by HijacK