It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Greetings, Hunters!

<span class="bold">Victor Vran</span>, an action filled next step in aRPG design, is available now for Windows and Mac - complete with GOG Galaxy Achievements, DRM-free, and 10% off for the first week!

In a genre that's seen immense highs and extended lows, it seems that we're always waiting for the secret formula for the perfect action RPG. Some say it's all about an overwhelming amount of loot, upgrades and treats galore. Others choose to experiment with new and innovative ways to connect their players, or to give them new types of control over making their character one of a kind. Victor Vran brings its own answers to the table.

It's a game that places movement and action first, truly putting the "action" in the aRPG, eliminating the boundaries of a traditional class system, and opting for freeform gear-based progression. A combat-oriented approach doesn't mean that Victor Vran is lacking in the other departments either - there's plenty of loot to collect and increasingly awesome weapons to find (including what looks an awful lot like a lightsaber) as well as innovative character progression. All that's there, however, is enhanced by an unprecedented movement system that will have you (and up to 4 of your co-op buddies) leaping, dodging and wallrunning. It's a game where survival is based on so much more than how hard you can hit.

GOG.com Exclusive Bonus
For a little something special, your copy of the game will come with a one-time-use GOG.com-exclusive Treasure Key! Just log in to your GOG.com account, start your single-player game, and redeem it in-game for a fountain of gold and the following drops:

- Med Kit (Legendary) - An endless healing potion.
- Hope Destiny Card (Uncommon) - Provides additional health when equipped. Can be equipped on level 2.
- Diamond Demon Power (Uncommon) - Creates a protective shield. Can be equipped immediately.
- Gift Box - A box that can be opened for random loot.
- Red, Green and Blue dyes - Used to colorize your outfit. Transmutation unlocks at level 16.

Q&A With The Devs
Have questions about the game that only the devs can answer? Join the team behind Victor Vran for a special Q&A session this coming Monday!
Boyan (Lead Designer) and Momchil (Designer) from Haemimont Games will be visiting our forums on Monday (July 27) starting 6pm GMT (8pm CEST / 2pm EST / 11am PST to answer all your questions about the game, the life behind game development, or their favorite type of sandwich. Save the date, stay tuned for the announcement thread, and come hang out with us.

Experience the definition of "a" in aRPG with <span class="bold">Victor Vran</span>, DRM-free on GOG.com! The launch discount will last for one week, until Friday, July 31, at 9:59 AM GMT.
throgh: Then why this is regulated by an activation? Why this is not a downloadable package comparable to "Omerta"? The problem of DRM is that content is behind an account or restricted to a defined number of activations. After that the content is not accessible!
It's not content, not really. Content says your getting something tangible... which your really not in this case. Since you have the content in-game, the content itself is not being given to you. As far as why it's regulated as an activation, I'd imagine because it's attended to be used one and by including it as a downloadable package could mean somebody could find a way to do it more than once?
synfresh: Keep in mind I agree with you, but your first sentence is the problem. That fact that ANYTHING is authenticated online after the initial download is the problem for some. They equate THAT to DRM.
shmerl: It is DRM if you can't back up what you bought and need auth every time you install the game. I.e. it's limiting what you can do (install the game) even after you already bought and downloaded the game package.

To make this discussion more general. Are we OK with GOG games providing content that's installable only at a later time and needs some auth to install it? Or we want GOG to provide full self sufficient packages?
This would stop me looking at the game. Slippy slip slippery slope. Thanks for the heads up. I wonder if we will see more of this kind of thing?
What I understand from this thread:

- If we buy the game from GOG we get exclusive DLC as bonus,
- BUT... the DLC is against GOG's core values as it has DRM,
- BUT... we shouldn't care because the DLC is actually worthless since it's just content we already get in the game.

Or I could just sum it up as follows: DRM is worthless.
BKGaming: You know what the problem with that is? DRM is highly subjective and means something different to many people... there is no one fit all definition for DRM.
shmerl: It's not about definitions here. DRM means limiting what you can do with the game after you bought it. Once you bought it (and got the package) you should have full game (no limitations). That's being DRM-free.

Having something that requires you to access external service (after you already bought the game and got the package) should be avoided if the store wants to remain DRM-free.
You have full access to the game and there is no limitations though. That is the point. The "cheat" is limited, you access to the game or its content is not.
HijacK: So don't go online while playing the game and yous till get 100% of the game. Same thing if you ask me. The fact that people have a problem with games that offer nonsensical bonuses through their in game interface while the game themselves are 100% DRM-free, not 90% like you say they are, is frankly ridiculous.
In fact one part of the game is therefore not usable under the circumstance to have a DRM-free usage. Again: This should be mentioned. From my understanding the game should also be removed from the catalogue at all because it doesn't fit the "100% DRM-free"-argument.
HijacK: Don't buy the game then, go to humble bundle instead maybe, cry in a corner if you have to, just don't come to me with nonsense like this is imposed drm or it is only 90% drm free as if the publisher is giving you meaningful content by authenticating the copy.

Sure, you voiced your choice and you vote with your wallet. So does everyone else. Looking at things only from a victim viewpoint weakens your argument though.
I want gog to be 100% drm-free.
I want to support this.
I don't want gog to be steam just because there are people like you that don't understand the importance of drm-free.
Logged in, saw the thread size on a brand new game, thought "uh oh, this can't be good". Starting reading, yup...

The only thing that surprises me in all of this is that apparently GOG didn't see this kind of reaction coming. Either that, or they didn't care. SMH
BKGaming: You have full access to the game and there is no limitations though. That is the point. The "cheat" is limited, you access to the game or its content is not.
Cheat is a feature of the game. Let's put it this way - you should have full access to its entirety (content, features etc.). Why should some features be carved out for special access?
BKGaming: Let me explain this in another way:

This would be like saying a GOG game with Galaxy achievements has DRM because you got to authenticate online while playing to unlock them.
Smannesman: Only if those achievements unlocked ingame content and then erased itself and you could never get those achievements ever again.
That really doesn't matter, the point being argued is locking an online feature to a one time use is DRM. And achievements are a one time use online feature.

The only difference here is most people don't care about achievements on GOG...
Post edited July 24, 2015 by BKGaming
Also I forgot to say 1 thing.
NWN2 require a cd key so it's drm... but this is an old game with already built in drm, they try to remove it...
with Victor Vran the game is new.
low rated
synfresh: So is the problem the 'one time activation' vs how your are activating it?
I'd say the latter.

Personally I think everyone should invest some XP in the merit 'teflon covered genitalia', it guarantees unrustled jimmies and decreases e-drama by 200%.

Unfortunately it can only be unlocked after spending 200 hours in /tg/.
BKGaming: You have full access to the game and there is no limitations though. That is the point. The "cheat" is limited, you access to the game or its content is not.
shmerl: Cheat is a feature of the game. Let's put it this way - you should have full access to its entirety (content, features etc.). Why should some features be carved out for special access?
No it's not. A cheat gains you special rewards without completing said requirements. A mod can be used as a cheat, which is not a feature of the game.

Features are not being carved out, rather your being rewarded for by the special access.
high rated
LiefLayer: gog say 100% drm-free games, not me.
also batman would be popular if it was on gog, but that does not change the fact that the DRM and that should not be sold on gog.
BKGaming: You know what the problem with that is? DRM is highly subjective and means something different to many people... there is no one fit all definition for DRM.
true
it might be better to actually look at the business practice used here instead of just saying it is bad because it is DRM. and then argue endlessly about the exact semantic definition of DRM :p

so for me i can say:
- i don't like store-exclusive game bonuses. we need less of those. not more
- i don't like buying a game bonus that I can only use once
- a single player cheat code that has to be activated online is just absurdly stupid from a technical point of view.
Post edited July 24, 2015 by immi101
HijacK: So don't go online while playing the game and yous till get 100% of the game. Same thing if you ask me. The fact that people have a problem with games that offer nonsensical bonuses through their in game interface while the game themselves are 100% DRM-free, not 90% like you say they are, is frankly ridiculous.
throgh: In fact one part of the game is therefore not usable under the circumstance to have a DRM-free usage. Again: This should be mentioned. From my understanding the game should also be removed from the catalogue at all because it doesn't fit the "100% DRM-free"-argument.
Again, this is one viewpoint, and a fairly weak one. Take it this way. The game is done. Finished. Now the publisher signs a contract with GOG to sell it here. The publisher *adds* something extra to stimulate sales. (Mind you in a horrible way given GOG's community attitude towards DRM) What exactly part can't we access? The cheap micro transaction-like "bonus" content that waters down an already finished game?

By all means. If people want to complain about that then let them do it. I don't like this situation either, I won't buy the game, but I won't victimize myself or only see this whole situation from one tunnel vision viewpoint. Arguments don't work like that, unless you want an argument to transcend into a full scale fight.
high rated
Hey everyone, we just want to let you know that we haven't abandoned ship on this topic, we're paying attention and we'd like to clear up a few of the things you brought up in the thread:

The game does not require GOG Galaxy at all, and it does not require an in-game account to access any offline features. You can access all of the game's offline content without ever being logged in or connected to the internet.

Online features:

The game does not require a GOG Galaxy account to connect to the online features, but it does require an in-game account to connect to the online features.

The online features include multiplayer, as well as the in-game key redemption system. Like a few of you mentioned, the latter is used for things like the Treasure Key that the devs provided with your game, and if they choose to distribute additional keys for any reason, that part is totally up to them.

Bonus content:

In short, you get specific in-game drops more quickly. Everything included in the GOG Treasure Key is present in-game, like regular loot. The items available are simply a few useful items that you can find during gameplay. The treasure key is basically a cheat code to get them right off the bat, nothing is locked behind it and nothing new is added to your game.
Post edited July 24, 2015 by Konrad