It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Sometimes great power comes with great (ir)responsibility.

<span class="bold">Sorcerer King</span>, a turn-based fantasy strategy/RPG about cancelling the Apocalypse, is available now DRM-free on GOG.com with Galaxy support and a 50% launch discount.

Becoming the King usually requires a touch of magic, either in the form of a ridiculously fabulous getup or a vast knowledge of the arcane. Lacking the pizzazz to pull off the former, the evil Sorcerer King set out to take over the world one spell at a time, absorbing its magic in a misguided attempt to become God. As the leader of one of the few defiant cities, stopping the Sorcerer is both your duty and your privilege, for butting heads with a wannabe-god has never been so fun!

Not only will you build your own army while carefully out-diplomancing your arch-enemy, but you will also make your Sovereign of choice a force to be reckoned with. Gear and level up through hundreds of delightful quests, then join forces with the rest of the desperate sovereigns — by forming alliances or by conquering their kingdoms. But while you are meticulously planning your turns, keep an eye on the Doomsday Counter: if the Sorcerer King manages to complete the spell and turn himself into a god, it will be a most unfortunate turn of events. The final turn of your turn-based adventures.

So turn the tables on the upcoming Apocalypse and smack some sense into the evil <span class="bold">Sorcerer King</span>, DRM-free on GOG.com. The 50% launch discount will last until January 17 1:59 PM GMT.

Q&A Alert!

This Friday, January 15th at 6pm GMT (7pm CET / 1pm EST / 10am PST), we'll be hosting two guys from the Stardock team for a special Q&A event on the forums. Join Patrick Shaw(Producer) and Scott Tykoski(Mad Scientist) for a chat about all things Sorcerer King for a great start to the coming weekend!
adaliabooks: It sounds fun... but I can't tell what it is..
Are we talking 4X, RTS or some kind of RPG thing?
Same doubt in here, too ;)

And Galaxy Support = achievements?
Thanks a ton, folks!
Procedurally generated I'm guessing?
adaliabooks: It sounds fun... but I can't tell what it is..
Are we talking 4X, RTS or some kind of RPG thing?
Its 4x, tbs and rpg together.
Hickory: It's 4X/TBS. If you like Fallen Enchantress you'll like this.
Is there anything better in Fallen Enchantress that it still costs the same (and even nearly twice as much with the expansion) as Sorcerer King although it's 3 years older?

And a strange kind of 50% discount, $12.59 instead of $12.49? It correctly rounds to 50%, but still feels wrong.
high rated
I love that the one review is not about the game at all, but a complaint that the game used to be listed among the "free classics" (results when searching the catalog with the 'free' price filter, I guess), but now they're charging money!!! XD
(To be fair, though, it's pretty stupid that an upcoming game not yet having a set price could cause it to display as a free game.)
Smannesman: Those screenshots are horrible, I think there's one that depicts actual gameplay the rest is just menus.
It's a strategy game. Menus make up a huge part of the gameplay in a lot of strategy games. : )
Another nice addition, definitively wishlisted for later :)

Sidenote: Someone at GOG should really change / improve the screenshots, they really don't show off the game in a good light (most of them are just menu pics).
triock: Wishlisted!

*prepares popcorn for "GOG releases only strategy games" drama*
Bought!
Well if Stardock comes to gog and releases all their games there is not much one can do about it! *g*
No really I love the fact that we get our full treat on TBS games on gog and maybe one day we will have even more Point and Click Adventures, Survival Horror(!!!) and whatever games people want ^^
Even though to me gog has quite a diverse list of genres and quite a lot of games for all genres.
And maybe... one day... gog will get their hands on all the fancy new blockbuster releases to bring us the latest gritty nitty games DRM Free :^) *dreams*
Habanerose: Another nice addition, definitively wishlisted for later :)

Sidenote: Someone at GOG should really change / improve the screenshots, they really don't show off the game in a good light (most of them are just menu pics).
I don't think GOG chose them. If you look at the game page on Steam, the screenshots are identical. I'm guessing those are the screenshots that Stardock wanted to use.
high rated
The Army of GOG continues its march into strategy territory. It's frankly refreshing after a comparative drought in such titles for a while. Certainly a step up from the indie platformer du jour.

Will very likely get this at some point, at the moment I have a buying moratorium for all but the most wanted games. Furnishing the condo has really walloped the old bank account.
Wow! What a nice looking game at 50% off! I'm tempted to buy it, but I have so many to play now :-D
I'll wish list it for now.
eiii: Is there anything better in Fallen Enchantress that it still costs the same (and even nearly twice as much with the expansion) as Sorcerer King although it's 3 years older?

And a strange kind of 50% discount, $12.59 instead of $12.49? It correctly rounds to 50%, but still feels wrong.
It's a different game. In Fallen Enchantress you are fighting other faction for control on more or less equal footing - think Master of Magic or Master of Orion.

In Sorcerer King there is one super faction that you must fight but is off doing his own thing and ignoring you because he doesn't consider you a threat - until he does, kind of like AI War.
There are other factions you can get to join you if you do stuff for them. It plays like a fantasy TBS version of Star Control 2. It's also hilarious - nowhere near as serious as Fallen Enchantress.
low rated
This game (Sorcerer King) was categorized under freeware games with the label SOON. But now you need to pay for it ... I don't understand.

The same goes for the game SERVO, that is listed there with SOON/TBA label.
Will that one be freeware or you will need to buy it?
eiii: Is there anything better in Fallen Enchantress that it still costs the same (and even nearly twice as much with the expansion) as Sorcerer King although it's 3 years older?

Fallen Enchantress is a better game choice. In Sorcerer King you are limited to one gameplay style. In every game be it random or campaign you have to destroy one enemy aka Sorcerer King while fighting to beat the doomsday clock aka Sorcerer King finishing the spell that would turn him in to a god while you also have to protect the shards Sorcerer Kings needs to destroy. The games reception in comparison to Fallen Enchantress wasn't good so the budget for dlc and other additions was scrapped. Only a few updates to the game will be made in the future.
op2016: This game (Sorcerer King) was categorized under freeware games with the label SOON. But now you need to pay for it ... I don't understand.

The same goes for the game SERVO, that is listed there with SOON/TBA label.
Will that one be freeware or you will need to buy it?
Its just a glitch in gogs famously broken system :)
Post edited January 12, 2016 by Matruchus
Matruchus: Its just a glitch in gogs famously broken system :)
Aha, OK, thanks for the information.
deleted