It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Brought to you by GOG.com

<span class="bold">Pacific General</span> and <span class="bold">Fantasy General</span>, the accessible, Panzer-like grand strategy classics, are available now DRM-free on GOG.com!

<span class="bold">Pacific General</span>, available for Windows, is a spiritual sequel from the studio behind the acclaimed Panzer General series - an improvement over the classic, but one that retains the same feel and concepts as its inspiration. Once more we return to the overhead battlefields of World War II in a series of quick-play scenarios and full-blown campaigns: everything from Pearl Harbor to hypothetical invasion scenarios is here, all packaged in a relatively newbie-friendly grand-strategy package. <span class="bold">Fantasy General</span> takes that same experience and sets it in a fantasy universe. This one's for you if you're a fan of large-scale hex-based battlefields and steampunk-infused fantasy. Fantasy General is available for Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux.
<span class="bold">Pacific General</span> and <span class="bold">Fantasy General</span> are being published by GOG.com. We are happy to release these titles not on behalf of another party, but by acting as the sole publisher for the very first time!

Unleash your inner armchair general with <span class="bold">Pacific General</span> and <span class="bold">Fantasy General</span>, available now, DRM-free on GOG.com!
BillyMaysFan59: Welcome aboard, GOG! Hope to see you guys release more of your games on GOG.

:D
Do you think that GOG should go into this list?
IAmSinistar: Wow, great releases! And kudos on being the actual publisher. Clearly GOG is expanding the business in new directions. Maybe you'll be interesting in buying outright some of the games I've been trying to track down. :)
BTW, could you shed some more light on the Dungeon Master rights situation? GOG getting the opportunity to publish the series for the first time ever digitally would be huge.
Post edited May 05, 2015 by Barry_Woodward
IAmSinistar: Wow, great releases! And kudos on being the actual publisher. Clearly GOG is expanding the business in new directions. Maybe you'll be interesting in buying outright some of the games I've been trying to track down. :)
JudasIscariot: Yes, this is the BIG THING I was hyping a while back :D
IAmSinistar: Quite hype-worthy. It may look small at the moment, but it has the potential to be huge.
See, when I hype it's for a good reason :P
BTW, somebody with a Reddit account should share this on r/games. (I'm banned there for appearing as a GOG spammer. ;)
Grargar: Do you think that GOG should go into this list?
I do think we need a new GOGmix - GOG Games Published By GOG :)

Barry_Woodward: BTW, could you shed some more light on the Dungeon Master rights situation? GOG getting the opportunity to publish the series for the first time ever digitally would be huge.
Hopefully I'm not speaking out of turn, but I have been in contact with Doug Bell regarding the game, and he confirmed that the somewhat aptly named Wayne Holder is the rightsholder for this, and to expect reticence or even silence on the matter of DM. His warning proved prophetic in my case, and I have since learned that GOG was in direct talks with him about the game when he went silent on them as well.

I have had the same happen with one other rightsholder before, who also expressed interest in seeing their game return to market, only to drop off the scope with no further word. I had put GOG in contact with them and the same occurred in their case.
IAmSinistar: I do think we need a new GOGmix - GOG Games Published By GOG :)
On GOG? :P
Btw. are they regionally priced? Does anyone know?
Trilarion: Btw. are they regionally priced? Does anyone know?
Well, they are flat priced save for the RU/CIS region so, technically, yes, they are regionally priced.
Lodium: Hmm, i have only played Panzer general games
never tried Fantasy General
can anyone give some pros and cons to Fantasy general and also an explanation why its considered a good classic by somone.
Whislisted pacific general but im still unsure about fantasy general.
I haven't played Panzer General so I can't really compare the both.
Here is a short review that sums up the essence of FG:
http://www.hotud.org/component/content/article?id=20086

Also, one of the comments there points out some key aspects of FG:

Which brings me to what I think is the primary reason that this game is truly superb. You're not just destroying your opponent's armies, you're slowly building your own. Each unit must be carefully nurtured and protected, so that it can advance and upgrade into newer, more powerful types of units. In many strategy games, individual units are just a resource to be spent in order to achieve the objectives. If some are destroyed, it is no great loss so long as the battle is won. In this game, each unit matters. Having an experienced unit destroyed can seriously weaken your entire army in future battles, and can be very expensive to replace.

Furthermore the vast selection of unit types allows players to customize their army mix to try different strategies, further increasing the replay value.

Balancing this need to protect your units and keep them at peak capacity is the need to advance and capture objectives quickly. This will make for many agonizing, frustrating, and/or heartbreaking decisions throughout the campaign.

Ultimately this is one of the first, and best, strategy games that realized that the ability to customize and grow an army over time was far more interesting in the long term than simply erasing enemy units off a map.
Post edited May 05, 2015 by Mondkalb
I like the General games but the price too steep for me now, will wait for a sale.

By the way, how did you guys clawed it from Ubi's fingers? They owned SSI's backcatalog AFAIK.
Great... now I know who to pester when I have a game to publish! (Whenever that is)
JudasIscariot: Well, they are flat priced save for the RU/CIS region so, technically, yes, they are regionally priced.
Not only technically. It's a bit behind what GOG promised last year with regional pricing for classics, and I see it as unfair gift to the RU/CIS region (there are certainly poorer regions on earth), and since the publisher is GOG itself it is completely in your power. No excuse this time.

So yes, I'm still a bit disappointed about the regional pricing affection of GOG and want to express that here... but otherwise: let's celebrate for the great games! :)
Post edited May 05, 2015 by Trilarion
Yes! Fantasy General is an insta-buy for me, I can't remember if I played Pacific General or not.
Well, as I love Panzer General it is a no-brainer to buy Pacific as well.
Great news are a great way to start the day.
Anyone else thought that the May the Fourth sale was the big thing Judas was talking about?

Edit: Bought both.
Post edited May 05, 2015 by justanoldgamer
Looks like Risk... I could have sworn i said this about a couple previous games that came not that long ago as well...