It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

low rated
Thanks for bearing with us in this thread. We’d like to announce that today we’ve introduced the addition of new installers, with implemented GOG Galaxy client.

Like Destro described it back in May, we decided to separate the „new" and „classic” installers, for your choice. So if you don’t care about the features like achievements or cloud-saves and don’t want to use GOG Galaxy, you can download the „Classic Game Installer", just like it was handled before. For games that have new installers, the default download view on „My account” will show the "GOG Galaxy Game Installers" - you will notice that, as it is visibly described in „My account” game view. To download the „classic” ones, just go to „Options" and choose „Classic Installers”.

The new GOG Galaxy Game Installers were added to +100 games - a selection of all games that make use of GOG Galaxy features. I'll post the current list of games with the new installers in a separate post.
Going forward, all new games that will use GOG Galaxy features, will now receive both GOG Galaxy Game Installer and Classic Game Installer.

Introduction of GOG Galaxy Game Installers doesn’t change anything in terms of keeping the Classic Game Installers up to date. As soon as we receive an update for any game, we will prepare an updated version of the classic installer, just like it was done in the past.

Edit: Pinned.
Post edited July 06, 2017 by fables22
high rated
Wishbone: Poor Fables. I imagine yesterday must have been one hell of a day at the office:

GOG Management: Fables, we want you to make this announcement on the forum.

Fables22: [reads announcement] You can't be serious? They'll rip me to shreds! They'll travel to Warsaw with torches and pitchforks and burn down the offices! Please reconsider this!

GOG Management: Shut up and do as you're told! This is what we hired you for. Oh, and don't make the thread blue. We don't want to draw attention to it, we just want to be able to say that we informed people ahead of time.

Fables22: [mumbles] I think "attention" is going to be an understatement...

GOG Management: What was that?

Fables22: [sighs] Yes, Sir...
48 hours later…

Fables22: Sir?

GOG Management: For the love of Galaxy, what is it now Fables?!

Fables22: Um, they… they keep asking questions and demanding answers. You see, they expect me to provide them with the details.

GOG Management: Details, what details?! Just wing it. Stall ’em, do whatever it takes! They’ll run out of steam eventually.

Fables22: With all due respect sir, I’m afraid they won't.

GOG Management: Then announce the giveaway and release the gremlins along with the news threads, dammit!

Fables22: Pardon me sir, but do you mean the game or the server gremlins?

GOG Management: Both. All of them. And let GOG bear out of his cage, will you? The fools adore the fluffy fellow.

Fables22: As you wish sir… but I have a bad feeling about this.

GOG Management: Look Fables, I'm not saying we won't get our hair mussed. But I do say no more than ten to twenty thousand users lost, tops! Uh, depending on the breaks.
Post edited May 11, 2017 by Lemon_Curry
Djaron: i am not sure 100% but i think i recall having a galaxy.dll missing error alert when i tried the built in mp browser since i updated from 1.0.0.4 to 1.0.0.9 yes

could doucle check though

strange enough, i played online titan quest anniversary a couple of month ago without problem :)
I played this game online since the first day it was finally released on Gog (being a backer) and I don't remember ever being able to play online (as in except in LAN mode) without using Galaxy.

Also if I remember correctly the devs justification for not supporting cross play between Steam and Gog was because they were using Steamwork for the Steam version and Galaxy for the Gog version and that to support cross play they would have to either implement their own servers or use Galaxy servers for both versions (as it's apparently that how Gog cross-play feature works).

Are you really sure than when you played the previous version you weren't using Galaxy (you don't need to run the game through Galaxy, simply having Galaxy running in the background is enough) ?
high rated
Is this optin or optout ?

If optin, ah well.

If optout *headdesk* I'm already fed up unclicking unwanted software with other installers.
That would make the pirated isos the least annoying to install things again :P
Post edited May 11, 2017 by Reaper9988
Breja: And now, in the middle of all this, let me introduce you to GOG bringing peace, freedom, justice, and security to their new Empire in the form of Goblins Inc., a game not playable offline even in single player mode. Still being sold as DRM-free and "No activation or online connection required to play."
I'm very critical about this stuff, but if there is really a standalone download for an offline version (against bots) I don't see a problem here.
high rated
Reaper9988: Is this optin or optout ?

If optin, ah well.

If optout *headdesk* I'm already fed up unclicking unwanted software with other installers.
It's opt-out only (and you'll need to remember to do this every time as it's not stored like the other installer settings are), and from what we've been told so far it sounds like the full Galaxy installer is bundled with each game.
high rated
Reaper9988: Is this optin or optout ?

If optin, ah well.

adamhm: It's opt-out only (and you'll need to remember to do this every time as it's not stored like the other installer settings are), and from what we've been told so far it sounds like the full Galaxy installer is bundled with each game.
thanks for the info *headdesk*
high rated
adamhm: It's opt-out only (and you'll need to remember to do this every time as it's not stored like the other installer settings are), and from what we've been told so far it sounds like the full Galaxy installer is bundled with each game.
Once unwanted stuff gets bundled and selected per default you have crossed a line that can not be uncrossed.
You will have to check and make sure.. EVERY.. SINGLE.. TIME

Because:
- The setting may have gone lost
- The Feature remembering your deselection may have been cut
- The Bundleware is NOW so awesome, even you have expressed your wish not getting it in the past.. it NOW is so AWESOME.. we HAVE to SHOW it to you.. because we think you can and will not live without it anymore

Basically, you are not trustworthy anymore.
Breja: And now, in the middle of all this, let me introduce you to GOG bringing peace, freedom, justice, and security to their new Empire in the form of Goblins Inc., a game not playable offline even in single player mode. Still being sold as DRM-free and "No activation or online connection required to play."
russellskanne: I'm very critical about this stuff, but if there is really a standalone download for an offline version (against bots) I don't see a problem here.
The problem is the release itself: Hands up in the air ... does this smell like some sort of deflection?
Users should forget about the disaster here and just buy the released software. It's kind of a shame to use this divide and conquer-tactics from GOG.

And it will be of use as people will buy these without thinking. Again: This kind of resistance here will stop soon enough and GOG can go on with whatever they want. The users will take this pill instead searching for alternatives or just saying NO. There are many possibilities, but the most easy one will be used ... which in fact is write down something in the forum and then do everyday-business. :)
Post edited May 11, 2017 by throgh
high rated
PaterAlf: You want to play Multiplayer mode? -> you often have to use Galaxy (I can understand that for some games)
Gersen: And before Galaxy the multiplayer feature was simply disabled/removed for those games.
Right. That why I said I can understand it for certain games. For other games devs could simply create LAN or hotseat multiplayer modes, but I can hardly blame GOG, if they are to lazy to do that.

PaterAlf: You want to use the Rollback feature? -> you have to use Galaxy (why not give the option for offline installers?)
Gersen: Again, before Galaxy you either had the old patch version downloaded and you could "rollback" yourself by installing a previous version and then the patches you wanted or if it was a game where the installer was updated and if you didn't download the previous version you were out of luck.
Yes, before Galaxy there was no Rollback. But now there is and there is no reason why they can't offer it on the website as well. They said they don't want to confuse the customers with different versions, but they could easily "hide" Rollback in the "More" section of the gamecard (More -> Rollback -> Different versions). Wouldn't be any more confusing than in Galaxy.

PaterAlf: You want beta-branches and updates for certain InDev-titles -> you have to use Galaxy
Gersen: Before Galaxy there wasn't any InDev titles, and patch release for newer releases were few and far between. You can still go back to the way things were before Galaxy simply by waiting for the game to be released and fully patched before buying it.
How is that even an argument? InDev and Galaxy aren't connected. I can easily wait some days to get the latest patch, but hiding whole versions in Galaxy? Why can't they create offline installers like they do for other patches too?

PaterAlf: You want an uncomplicated way to get notifications for forum replies, chat and game updates -> you have to use Galaxy, we might bring it back to the webpage "eventually™"
Gersen: Everybody who has been on Gog for sometime knows that breaking half the existing features with a new upgrade of the site/forum software is one of Gog specialties, Galaxy or not, nothing really new here.
Yes, but it's a fact that it works in Galaxy and doesn't work on the website. And we don't even get a "Sorry for that, we will bring it back as soon as possible.". Instead they said they will bring it back "eventually". Seriously, how hard can it be? Barefoot_Monkey fixed it within a day.

PaterAlf: You want offline installers? -> sure, but we'll bloat them with Galaxy and make sure that it is as hard as possible to avoid the installation
Gersen: The only valid complaint of the whole list, at least for the bloat part, but then again before Galaxy you also had Foxit PDF reader, VC runtimes and other third parties application that were bundled into the installers and some of them were also in "opt out" mode like Foxit reader.
I'm here since 2012 and I never had to opt-out for Foxit reader. So I'm not really sure what you are talking about.

PaterAlf: Would it help, if I send you a dictionary, so that you can look up what "optional" really means?
Gersen: Well you can still play GoG games without Galaxy exactly the same way you were able to play them before Galaxy existed (which mean for some being unable to play multiplayer, having to handle rollback yourself, not having InDev games, etc...); don't know what dictionary you are using but it still definitely fits the definition.
Congratulations! Out of 700 replies in this thread, you are the first one who defends GOG's shitty move. ;)

And seriously, when you need Galaxy for more and more basic features, it is still optional for you???
Post edited May 11, 2017 by PaterAlf
high rated
russellskanne: I'm very critical about this stuff, but if there is really a standalone download for an offline version (against bots) I don't see a problem here.
Maybe if not for the galaxy issue I would be inclined to agree, but as things are, I have lost all patience. Like GR00T said, this is still questionable. There are basically two games bundled together, and one of them is in no way DRM-free. The other is supposedly the DRM-free version of the same but that means that a)a non DRM-free product is in fact being distributed by GOG b)if you want the single player DRM-free game you still have to buy that DRM-ed product too.

I don't like it, and given the direction GOG has taken in other matters recently, I have no inclination to be forgiving, understading and accepting. I am possibly overreacting. I know that, and I don't care. That's the mood I'm in, and GOG has no one to blame for that but themselves.
high rated
Gersen: The only valid complaint of the whole list, at least for the bloat part, but then again before Galaxy you also had Foxit PDF reader, VC runtimes and other third parties application that were bundled into the installers and some of them were also in "opt out" mode like Foxit reader.
Congratulation, you just used relativisation. The Visual C-Runtimes are needed for the games. Otherwise some of them won't even start. But hey: Bloatware, you know the exact definition? Just look at Galaxy combined with the installers. This is bloatware because Galaxy is NOT part of the games and only needed if you wish to use it. And that's it: Your wish, not mine, not from others. Your own. Pressing this on our harddisks: That's the definition of it. ;)
high rated
GOG why you make it so hard to give you moneyz ?
low rated
PaterAlf: Congratulations! Out of 700 replies in this thread, you are the first one who defends GOG's shitty move. ;)

And seriously, when you need Galaxy for more and more basic features, it is still optional for you???
Well he is not wrong, doesn't make what GOG is doing here okay... but doesn't mean he was wrong either. People like to complain about Galaxy, but the alternative is without Galaxy the site would still be exactly the same as it is with Galaxy.

Nothing Galaxy offers as far as features is required or needed (outside of online MP for obvious reasons) to play your game... so yes it is very much optional given the literal definition of the word. Or are we debating what the word "optional" means now?
Post edited May 11, 2017 by BKGaming
While I agree with that, that is actually not a wish, but an opinion/discussion (so its right place is the Forum). Also, the wish I posted is about something else.

nightcraw1er.488: How is that win-win? Win-win would be they drop galaxy totally, stop focusing on the steam crowd, and focus on releasing some good old games like they used to. Thats not going to happen however, so win-lose would be not having non-optional download of galaxy in all installers at all - i.e. the current norm - and lose-lose is what we have got now.
Well... we should never forget that many users actually like Galaxy. Do you know what will we achieve by acting like this? Nothing. Instead, we should make proposals, suggestions, we need to make good use of the wish system. By now we are just spamming wishes and this will accomplish nothing!

There is an userbase that uses Galaxy, and we must coexist with them. The best option is to make so that Galaxy does not annoy who just want offline installers.
Post edited May 11, 2017 by TheUbik
high rated
Well, that's probably it for me then. I already only bought a few games here over the past 6-9 months, when I used to buy quite a lot, and now I think I just might stop completely. I tried Galaxy on two separate occasions in the past but it's got too many problems for me (like having to redownload the entire game to update it - seriously, what?). And now I'll have to remember to uncheck the box for Galaxy every single time I download a game, and then, if I forget, I have to go uninstall the stupid program again. At this point, there's not much difference between GOG and Steam anymore, so I might as well stick to Steam, where there's a greater variety of games on offer. For me, the things that make GOG unique have been gradually disappearing. I already mostly quit visiting the forum, now I might just stop buying games too. It makes me quite sad, but it seems the GOG I appreciated is gone.