It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

low rated
Thanks for bearing with us in this thread. We’d like to announce that today we’ve introduced the addition of new installers, with implemented GOG Galaxy client.

Like Destro described it back in May, we decided to separate the „new" and „classic” installers, for your choice. So if you don’t care about the features like achievements or cloud-saves and don’t want to use GOG Galaxy, you can download the „Classic Game Installer", just like it was handled before. For games that have new installers, the default download view on „My account” will show the "GOG Galaxy Game Installers" - you will notice that, as it is visibly described in „My account” game view. To download the „classic” ones, just go to „Options" and choose „Classic Installers”.

The new GOG Galaxy Game Installers were added to +100 games - a selection of all games that make use of GOG Galaxy features. I'll post the current list of games with the new installers in a separate post.
Going forward, all new games that will use GOG Galaxy features, will now receive both GOG Galaxy Game Installer and Classic Game Installer.

Introduction of GOG Galaxy Game Installers doesn’t change anything in terms of keeping the Classic Game Installers up to date. As soon as we receive an update for any game, we will prepare an updated version of the classic installer, just like it was done in the past.

Edit: Pinned.
Post edited July 06, 2017 by fables22
bump
eiii: Voted! Although I would have worded it more like "Do not integrate a Galaxy installer into the offline game installers" (a pointer to Galaxy would be OK for me).
0Grapher: I agree completely but for some reason, I was the first person who discovered the wishlist entry for that. After I posted it here, people obviously voted on it.

So, please everybody re-post these links in this thread whenever the links get buried.
Can anyone who has posted on the first page maybe add these links to their first post? That would be amazing! :D

<span class="bold">Remove</span> the so-called "optional" <span class="bold">Galaxy</span> client <span class="bold">from</span> any &amp; <span class="bold">all offline installers </span>

<span class="bold">Don't make installing Galaxy the default</span> setting in standalone game installers

Galaxy-free installers: account-based option

<span class="bold">Be optional till the end of days</span>
high rated
AB2012: Not really paranoia to think about the possibilities for those of us who've seen the creeping "slippery slope" of all sorts of anti consumer things in the gaming industry becoming "normalized" over the space of 10-15 years.
Funny (not really, it's just a figure of speech) you should mention that...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slippery_slope#Non-fallacious_usage
Logic and critical thinking textbooks typically discuss slippery slope arguments as a form of fallacy but usually acknowledge that "slippery slope arguments can be good ones if the slope is real—that is, if there is good evidence that the consequences of the initial action are highly likely to occur. The strength of the argument depends on two factors. The first is the strength of each link in the causal chain; the argument cannot be stronger than its weakest link. The second is the number of links; the more links there are, the more likely it is that other factors could alter the consequences."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creeping_normality
Creeping normality or death by a thousand cuts is the way a major change can be accepted as the normal situation if it happens slowly, in unnoticed increments, when it would be regarded as objectionable if it took place in a single step or short period. Examples would be a change in job responsibilities or a change in a medical condition.
Btw. there are still almost no AAA games on GOG which are younger than say 20 years. I could put up with a lot of things, if the right games were here.

Of all the games that are here I already have bought the right ones.
Post edited May 11, 2017 by Trilarion
high rated
Serren: I called this a long time ago but was mocked for my foresight.

This is nearing Microsoft levels of arrogance and underhandedness. I'm going to have to reconsider whether or not I buy anything from gog.com in the future.
Pretty much every time I said anything to similiar effect about the direction GOG was going I was called a tin-foil hat Mulder-level paranoiac. And now we're here. At least now the vast majority is no longer in denial over what's happening.

For now I removed all to-be afflicted games from my wishlist. Those I will not buy. The others, for now, I might. But even for those, GOG is likely to no longer be me my first go-to store if an alternative exists.
Trilarion: Btw. there are still almost no AAA games on GOG which are younger than say 20 years. I could put up with a lot of things, if the right games were here.
You shouldn't. Either we're being treated right or not. What we're getting in return doesn't change that. It's reasoning like that (well, I'll put up with it because I just have to play this or that) that got us into this DRM-filled, Steam-dominated, client fueled nightmare of a gaming market.
Post edited May 11, 2017 by Breja
GOG Galaxy installer should be a small .exe that downloads and installs the latest version of Galaxy, like the Steam and Blizzard ones, so it would not increase the Games installers size so much. Have you ever considered this option?
TheUbik: GOG Galaxy installer should be a small .exe that downloads and installs the latest version of Galaxy, like the Steam and Blizzard ones, so it would not increase the Games installers size so much. Have you ever considered this option?
It should be, but the current version of the installer exceeds the 100 MBs.
Post edited May 11, 2017 by Grargar
high rated
Attachments:
high rated
Grargar: It should be, but the current version of installer exceeds the 100 MBs.
I know, and it will increase as they adds features. Also, it is just dumb to bundle the current Galaxy installer (1.2.6) into bigger games installers, while it will become outdated as soon as Galaxy will be updated to 1.2.7.
Will they update ALL installers every time Galaxy gets an update? It would just be more useless and time consuming work.
high rated
fables22: Don’t fret, nothing’s changed with our approach to GOG Galaxy being optional...
We all know how "optional™" the Galaxy client is by now:

You want to play Multiplayer mode? -> you often have to use Galaxy (I can understand that for some games)
You want to use the Rollback feature? -> you have to use Galaxy (why not give the option for offline installers?)
You want beta-branches and updates for certain InDev-titles -> you have to use Galaxy
You want an uncomplicated way to get notifications for forum replies, chat and game updates -> you have to use Galaxy, we might bring it back to the webpage "eventually™"
You want offline installers? -> sure, but we'll bloat them with Galaxy and make sure that it is as hard as possible to avoid the installation

Would it help, if I send you a dictionary, so that you can look up what "optional" really means?
Post edited May 11, 2017 by PaterAlf
TheUbik: GOG Galaxy installer should be a small .exe that downloads and installs the latest version of Galaxy, like the Steam and Blizzard ones, so it would not increase the Games installers size so much. Have you ever considered this option?
This right here. I don't understand why Galaxy has to now be included in each offline installer increasing the size. It's a needless inconvenience to the users and gog when the Steam and Blizzard methods of keeping it separate work fine.
Post edited May 11, 2017 by haydenaurion
DebbieL: The stupidest thing about all of this is that Galaxy is a good client. Not perfect, sure, but it's lightweight, unobtrusive and only does what you want it to. It's perfectly possible to just use it as a replacement for the GOG Downloader (and maybe for keeping track of updates) even if you're not interested in any of the other features.
the setup alone is already ~150MB, that is really not "lightweight" (for a downloader).
high rated
TheUbik: Will they update ALL installers every time Galaxy gets an update? It would just be more useless and time consuming work.
In the immortal words of an entity that loves gold very much:
"I highly doubt it".

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if the outdated bundled versions of the client have issues updating to the latest one.
Post edited May 11, 2017 by Grargar
Since lots of you agree with this, here's the whish:

https://www.gog.com/wishlist/galaxy/make_galaxy_installer_a_small_about_1mb_downloaderinstaller

Let's make this more a win-win than a lose-win.
Post edited May 11, 2017 by TheUbik
high rated
At first I thought this was nothing to be concerned about, but the more I read and the more vague and vaguely and frankly insulting responses from GOG, the more scared I get.

I am starting to reconsider future purchases from here.
While I understand how Galaxy is needed for MP for many titles (many titles I can see including galaxy or at least the DLL) but why the forcing?

One theory: GoG is starting to get complaints from devs and publishers about piracy so GOG is hoping to use Galaxy to attract pirates to purchase their games here

Or

GOG will no long be DRM Free in the near future. <- this scares me the most.

GOG we need real answers about your intentions with this not "OH ITS FOR THE NON TECH SAVVY PEOPLE"
If you dont give them, I may even join Breja and others in being very hesitant to spend my money here, heck I may Boycott the site entirely if you evolve to another DRM laden hellscape like Origin and Steam.

Please GOG give us some real answers. Give us some reassurance some real reassurance that our DRM-Free GOG is staying, that I can download a game installer and still play it without galaxy.
TheUbik: Since lots of you agree with this, here's the whish:

https://www.gog.com/wishlist/galaxy/make_galaxy_installer_a_small_about_1mb_downloaderinstaller

Let's make this more a win-win than a lose-win.
https://www.gog.com/wishlist/site/stop_hate_schisms_unite_against_galaxy