It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Never really had that problem as I've already bought most of what I'm interested in on GOG, barring some 40 or so wishlist entries which also includes numerous rebuys of games I own elsewhere.

Although I did get some 4X and adventure games, which I'm unlikely to ever play. Many of the freebies from GOG are also in the "probably won't play ever" camp. I keep telling myself I will grow into them, but it ain't happening. Well, there's always retirement I guess.
idbeholdME: Well, there's always retirement I guess.
Well that's a moonshot. But hey you managed to put ~ 650h into Grim Dawn which is... incredible for starters so... yeah. ;P
StingingVelvet: Absolutely, they're what got me into PC gaming. My mom was a huge Sierra and Lucasarts adventure game fan in the 80s and 90s.
I wish my parents had also been enthusiastic about PC games back then. So cool.
At least that's why my son thinks that way about his father now. :-D
victorchopin: Well that's a moonshot. But hey you managed to put ~ 650h into Grim Dawn which is... incredible for starters so... yeah. ;P
And that's only the time tracked in Galaxy :P Played a lot even before I started launching the game through it. Had so many characters and stash items I just nuked the whole thing (deleted saves) and started over for a fresh experience.

Also, I probably put around 1k hours into Sacred 2 over the past 2 years.
idbeholdME: Also, I probably put around 1k hours into Sacred 2 over the past 2 years.
Holy!!
Ah yes the cold Czechia months spent indoors stretch that number up a whole bunch I suppose!! :P
P-E-S: All that said, I've got nothing to be ashamed about. Will I ever be able to surmount Mt. Backlog? Quite likely not. On the upside, I own so many different games I can play pretty much whatever type I may be in the mood for at the moment.
As I've said before, I try to see it more as my own personal library of games, where I can pick new (to me) games to play when I feel like it, rather than a backlog where the intention is I will play and finish each of them.

Still, I am a bit disappointed and ashamed how slowly I finish games (it probably took me half a year to finish e.g. "Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain" and "Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2 + Mysteries of Sith", playing both side by side)... but it only annoys me because I fear or even believe I will not get to play all the interesting games I'd love to play, even from my personal gaming library, before my time runs out, so to speak. And afterwards my kids, who inherit my gaming library, will just look at it confused "what is this old shit? bad graphics and all", and play Roblox instead.

My gaming library will probably vanish the same way my father's vast collection of books just kinda vanished after his death, as none of us were interested enough to preserve and keep them, let alone read them. Most books went to trash, if there seemed to be something a bit more valuable, maybe try to sell it. That's how it goes.
Post edited October 25, 2023 by timppu
StingingVelvet: Absolutely, they're what got me into PC gaming. My mom was a huge Sierra and Lucasarts adventure game fan in the 80s and 90s.
I wish my mom was a gamer. She thinks all games are "war games" and they make young people aggressive :(

Well, in my case it was my uncle. He showed me the LucasArts adventures and of course some by Sierra. He also got me to play Alone in the Dark which is still one of my alltime favorites.

I loved adventure games so much that I sometimes pretended that my life is also an adventure game (I was a kid^^). "Use key with door" :D

Nowadays I'm more an ARPG player, I just don't have the patience for adventure games anymore. I don't dislike them though.
Atreyu666: I have a sentimental feeling for game magazines, I even often dream about going to a store and buy some magazines (including CDs/DVDs). This must be because I LOVED them as a kid, but sometimes couldn't afford them. Nowadays I don't read them anymore but I still have strong nostalgic feelings for them.
I used to borrow gaming magazines from the local library, just to look at the pictures and dream about how cool it would be to try all these games myself, since I didn't have access to anything but freeware back then and could only watch my friends playing some of the better known games at their houses. I guess that's part of how the collection habit started, because I made mental notes of everything interesting I saw in those days and could not buy, and then later on, when I found out first about abandonware on the internet, then about classic games on GOG, and I was finally in a position to buy myself games without anyone questioning it, I had a lot of catching up to do. ;)
Post edited October 25, 2023 by Leroux
Leroux: I used to borrow gaming magazines from the local library, just to look at the pictures and dream about how cool it would be to try all these games myself, since I didn't have access to anything but freeware back then and could only watch my friends playing some of the better known games at their houses.
Oh yeah. One day I bought a "Nintendo Spieleberater" and I looked at all those cool games and read about the solutions. I also dreamt about playing those games :)

Leroux: I guess that's part of how the collection habit started, because I made mental notes of everything interesting I saw in those days and could not buy, and then later on, when I found out first about abandonware on the internet, then about classic games on GOG, and I was finally in a position to buy myself games without anyone questioning it, I had a lot of catching up to do. ;)
When a schoolmate of mine had internet as one of the first of us, I downloaded some DOS games from sites at his place. It opened a completely new world to me.

Because of my lack of money, I totally skipped the FMV games in the mid 90s and now I know that I didn't miss out on much. Most of those games looked and still look unappealing to me. I watched Spoony's FMV Hell series on YT and it felt like I was right. Most of those games had not much to offer in terms of gameplay. I basically jumped from Apogee shareware and LucasArts adventures right to the early 3D games which were much more worth my time :)

Nowadays I got more than enough legally aquired games for more than a lifetime. And I'm still collecting them, it's just part of the fun :)
Sorry to betray you all, but I just have to buy Days Gone. It falls exactly to the category of games that I do want to see on GOG, so it is basically a must-buy for me.

Sorry again, I hope you can forgive me sometime, somewhere, somehow, somewhat, somewho...
Post edited October 25, 2023 by timppu
timppu: Sorry again, I hope you can forgive me sometime, somewhere, somehow, somewhat, somewho...
Shame! =P
Attachments:
shame.jpg (119 Kb)
timppu: Sorry to betray you all, but I just have to buy Days Gone. It falls exactly to the category of games that I do want to see on GOG, so it is basically a must-buy for me.

Sorry again, I hope you can forgive me sometime, somewhere, somehow, somewhat, somewho...
Only if you play it :p
StingingVelvet: This isn't true for me in general, I play a ton of games, but it's true for me with point and click adventure games. I buy a TON of them because I loved them as a kid, but I pretty much never make time for them. When it's time to sit down at the computer and play something I always choose an RPG, shooter or similar. I just don't think I have patience for adventure games anymore. But I keep buying them due to some strange feeling of satisfaction I get from supporting them and having them all in my library for "someday."
Sounds like me in some respect. For a good while I kept buying them, and then never actually playing them. Eventually I just had to force myself to stop buying any more. So many of them waiting to be played to this day. Hell, I've still got the Quest for Glory series sitting in my backlog which bought around the time they appeared on GOG. Yeeeeeeah....
timppu: Sorry to betray you all, but I just have to buy Days Gone. It falls exactly to the category of games that I do want to see on GOG, so it is basically a must-buy for me.

Fonzer: Only if you play it :p
Some day, somewhere, somehow...

Just yesterday I bought Days Gone, Costume Quest 2, Geneforge 1 - Mutagen, The Cave and Visage. The last three were not even in my wishlist, they were impulse buys which I caught on the corner of my eye and thought "hey that looks interesting, and seems to have favorable reviews too!".

I thought I was done for now... but today I noticed "you have 19 items on sale on your wishlist"!

Damn! This never ends! My problem is not anymore that I buy games faster than I play them, but also that my wishlist grows faster than I am able to buy games off it. I didn't even recall I have that many items on my wishlist... Must be that recent "50 games you have to play before you die" video that I watched, I marked quite many GOG games to my wishlist based on it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EP2Ag9C-FDE

Many of those games are now on sale on GOG...

The good news is that I did actually play a game yesterday evening, Soul Reaver. I am still trying to understand the gameplay, it seems more complicated than I anticipated (I even read the manual because there was so much I didn't understand in the gameplay), with two different realities you have to hop between that have different enemies and things and laws of physics, all kinds of odd mechanisms like how you fight the enemies, grab them and toss them to water or fire, how you move some items around etc...

It was pretty cool though when I accidentally picked up a spear from the wall (I thought it was just a wall decoration) and I could actually impale the enemy vampires(?) with it, no need to carry them around to a nearby fireplace or water pool anymore in order to properly kill them.

The best thing that could happen to me was if Valve closed down Team Fortress 2, then I would have much more gaming time to single-player games... Also these discussion forums take too much of my precious gaming time. Sometimes it is more fun to talk about games (and electric cars, and politics, and and and) than actually play the games. Sad but true.

EDIT: Scratch that, as my two sons are also playing Team Fortress 2... They can play it without paying a dime, and the game also runs on old potato PCs and laptops pretty ok, so it is a perfect game to keep them happy. I just have to find a way to stop playing it myself, at some point I was quite close to it when the cheater bot infestation was at its worst, but nowadays it is manageable, I don't know if Valve has actually done something about the cheater bots, or the bot users have just kinda lost interest and moved on to cheat on other games... Occasionally you still see those bots, but much less than in the worst times.
Post edited October 26, 2023 by timppu
Atreyu666: Nowadays I'm more an ARPG player, I just don't have the patience for adventure games anymore. I don't dislike them though.
Exactly. I have nostalgia for them, I like the idea of playing them, but I just never actually do it.