It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Hi everyone!

I have over 1300 games here on GoG, and a bunch on Steam and Epic too. It's weird, but buying games (good ones) seems much more fun than actually playing them. Most of the time I'm too tired to play anything anyway but I WANT THAT NEXT AWESOME GAME!
I already limited myself to buying from GoG only (on PC) and this works quite well. I mean, GoG doesn't have many of the games I would buy on Steam so the damage to my finances aren't huge. I also have to add that I like to support GoG and its DRM-free philosophy but I bought games I don't even intend to play ever.
I tell myself that someday I'll play my pile-of-shame, I'm like a squirrel that is gathering food for the winter. But when will my winter come? :D
Atreyu666: I tell myself that someday I'll play my pile-of-shame, I'm like a squirrel that is gathering food for the winter. But when will my winter come? :D
I tell myself that the best time for anyone to play his library games is when he grows old (65+), gets retired from his job, and his kids have already grown! If he's/she's still able to see and hear, that is!!
CarChris: I tell myself that the best time for anyone to play his library games is when he grows old (65+), gets retired from his job, and his kids have already grown! If he's/she's still able to see and hear, that is!!
Yeah, something like that! I mean, I don't even have kids but as for the rest: Yes! That's going to be my winter :)

edit: Sometimes I hope for a huge internet outage so I can't buy games and finally take the time to play some :D
Post edited October 23, 2023 by Atreyu666
I'm trying to limit myself to buying only my favorite genre of games ( strategy games ). For the last couple of years, I have been having difficulty beating games. I find them boring and not worth the time to finish. But once in a while, I'll finish a game that's not strategy like Trepang2. Great game!
Post edited October 23, 2023 by Syphon72
Atreyu666: I tell myself that someday I'll play my pile-of-shame
Looking back, there are certainly times where I go "Why did I ever buy this? Will I actually ever be interested enough to play it?" about some impulse purchases I've made over the years. *shrug* Oh well.

While I don't think I'll ever truly stop buying games - digital pack rat, ftw! =P - after a long time of waffling about I've seem to have finally settled on a fairly good acquisition strategy. I put games that are of interest on my wishlist, most of the time waiting on an eventual sale to meet whatever arbitrary price I set on it. This way I can also weed out a lot of the "maybes" as I frequently go over my wishlist, reevaluating whether I'm actually still interested. I've cycled through a hell of a lot of games that way. There are only very few games that have me going "I want this! Right now!" for actual instant purchases, GOG release sale or not.

All that said, I've got nothing to be ashamed about. Will I ever be able to surmount Mt. Backlog? Quite likely not. On the upside, I own so many different games I can play pretty much whatever type I may be in the mood for at the moment.
Syphon72: For the last couple of years, I have been having difficulty beating games. I find them boring and not worth the time to finish.
Lemme guess... kids?

Syphon72: But once in a while, I'll finish a game that's not strategy like Trepang2. Great game!
We call gems like this one an "all nighter" ;P
Same thing happened to me with that artsy game "Inside"
It's a matter of focus. Advertising is focused on selling games, making impressions more valuable than gameplay. Try before you buy is good for a player, and buying before you try is better for the sales industry. Artists need Publishers and Publishers need Artists. Whichever group you support your fun is most important.

But I have to say this. Make your offline installers safe : ) Build yourself a USB 3.0 stick with preinstalled games too.
Stick it in any machine to play if you like. Buying is fine yet as a collector check the value of your items playing it for a moment or a month. Without checking your games you base your opinion on the opinions of others and that is not cool.
Syphon72: I'm trying to limit myself to buying only my favorite genre of games ( strategy games ). For the last couple of years, I have been having difficulty beating games. I find them boring and not worth the time to finish. But once in a while, I'll finish a game that's not strategy like Trepang2. Great game!
Wishlisted! :)

I guess my buying habit never ends.
Wohoo! 1 full month of not buying any games on GOG!
P-E-S: All that said, I've got nothing to be ashamed about. Will I ever be able to surmount Mt. Backlog? Quite likely not. On the upside, I own so many different games I can play pretty much whatever type I may be in the mood for at the moment.
Same here. But I often start a new game then the next one and the next and the next. I feel like I have to finish something but often times having to finish a game feels like work.

Btw, I also have made a lot of impulse purchases that made me think "why did you buy this one?" :)
Syphon72: For the last couple of years, I have been having difficulty beating games. I find them boring and not worth the time to finish.
victorchopin: Lemme guess... kids?

Syphon72: But once in a while, I'll finish a game that's not strategy like Trepang2. Great game!
victorchopin: We call gems like this one an "all nighter" ;P
Same thing happened to me with that artsy game "Inside"
No kids right now.

You really do feel like a super soldier in Trepang2. Hearing the AI panicking as you pick them off individually, with the smooth gameplay, is crazy fun. I'm actually replaying the game on extreme difficulty, which is rare for me with modern shooters.

Positive I beat Inside in one sitting and even got my wife to beat it. haha
Syphon72: I'm trying to limit myself to buying only my favorite genre of games ( strategy games ). For the last couple of years, I have been having difficulty beating games. I find them boring and not worth the time to finish. But once in a while, I'll finish a game that's not strategy like Trepang2. Great game!
timppu: Wishlisted! :)

I guess my buying habit never ends.
I have no regret buying Trepang2. :)
Post edited October 24, 2023 by Syphon72
And then there's Myst. Oh, Myst... I have about three different versions, don't play any of 'em, and feel conflicted over how to approach such a title.

On the one hand, I feel dumb for not knowing how to solve the puzzles. On the other, using a walkthrough seems like heresy. On the other, the idea of writing new worlds is so fascinating...

Alas, they don't make 'em like that anymore. No gorgeous pre-rendered backgrounds, live-action cutscenes or mature, thoughtful storytelling.
Atreyu666: I have over 1300 games here on GoG, and a bunch on Steam and Epic too. It's weird, but buying games (good ones) seems much more fun than actually playing them. Most of the time I'm too tired to play anything anyway but I WANT THAT NEXT AWESOME GAME!
This isn't true for me in general, I play a ton of games, but it's true for me with point and click adventure games. I buy a TON of them because I loved them as a kid, but I pretty much never make time for them. When it's time to sit down at the computer and play something I always choose an RPG, shooter or similar. I just don't think I have patience for adventure games anymore. But I keep buying them due to some strange feeling of satisfaction I get from supporting them and having them all in my library for "someday."
StingingVelvet: I just don't think I have patience for adventure games anymore. But I keep buying them due to some strange feeling of satisfaction I get from supporting them and having them all in my library for "someday."
Did you get to play many adventures when you were young?

I have a sentimental feeling for game magazines, I even often dream about going to a store and buy some magazines (including CDs/DVDs). This must be because I LOVED them as a kid, but sometimes couldn't afford them. Nowadays I don't read them anymore but I still have strong nostalgic feelings for them.
Atreyu666: Did you get to play many adventures when you were young?
Absolutely, they're what got me into PC gaming. My mom was a huge Sierra and Lucasarts adventure game fan in the 80s and 90s. When I was a Nintendo kid she started introducing me to PC adventure games and I fell in love. First one I remember playing was Space Quest 3 but I played a ton of them. Then I slowly started buying my own games and I bought shooters like Doom 2 and Dark Forces, and then RPGs like Lands of Lore and Betrayal at Krondor.