It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

No Man's Sky – One Year Anniversary

Today marks the one year anniversary of <span class="bold">No Man's Sky</span>
In the past year, the Hello Games team has been hard at work addressing community feedback and rolling out new content to the No Man's Sky experience. We've gotten new game modes and exciting survival mechanics, base building, vehicles, expanded trading and crafting, massive personal freighters and so much more than we could ever list here.

Today marks the <span class="bold">No Man's Sky</span> anniversary, and Hello Games are bringing a slew of new content in the Atlast Rises< update – and a 60% off sale, the best deal there has been so far!

So what's cool about Atlas Rises?
New Story Mode – in a complete overhaul to the original story, you'll set off on a 20-hour journey across the universe and discover Portals, allowing you to travel vast distances extremely quickly.
Improved Trading – plot and optimize your trade routes in the new trading metagame, born thanks to unique socio-economic traits in each star system and an overhauled galactic map.
Missions and New Faction System – procedurally generated missions add a layer of replayability as you earn rewards and respect on your journeys.
Better Biomes – from rare, extreme and abstract biomes, through improved existing biomes, there's a lot more to see on your journey.
More, including improved space combat, terraforming, farming, as well as new ships, a new faction, and more.

One year later, No Man's Sky has grown immensely bigger and richer and content – this is an amazing time to go back, or finally enter its infinite universe.

The anniversary sale will last until August 16, 4 PM UTC.
I might buy it on sale!
Been looking forward to this update! I originally bought the game shortly after its release, played on and off for about a month, but then kinda lost interest. I enjoyed the art direction, atmosphere, and the unprecedented sense of freedom, but the gameplay felt repetitive and unrewarding after a while. ( And all the negativity surrounding the game didn't help things. ) After all these updates, I think it's finally time to download the current version and give the game another go.

To those interested in the game: I thought the game was overpriced, for what it offered in its release version. However, with all the new content that has been added since, and with the current discount, you're getting a very good deal! Just keep in mind that this is primarily a game about space exploration. It's not a multiplayer game, and it's not really an action game. But if the idea of free exploration, discovery and "sight-seeing" in a vast fictional universe sounds appealing to you, then No Man's Sky delivers a remarkable and rather meditative experience, unlike any other game.
groze: And I know most of the people on GOG are fine with just playing the games for the single player modes, but I have to say it's kind of sad not having a single person with whom to play Torchlight II, Grim Dawn, Victor Vran, Titan Quest, Dying Light, The Last Blade or any of the Metal Slugs just because I wanted to buy the DRM-free GOG version of these games and the GOG online community is downright non-existent...
Might wanna try starting a thread here on the forum for that purpose, if you haven't already done so. Perhaps you ( and others ) will be able to find some online co-op partners that way.
Post edited August 12, 2017 by CharlesGrey
john_hatcher: Whoever believes that this will be available in Galaxy, might as well believe that the earth is flat.
This feature will come to GOG one day after they fixed the SecuROM stuff in F.E.A.R. ... https://www.gog.com/forum/general/fear_installed_securom_all_over_my_computer_does_anyone_know_how_to_get_rid_of_it
BKGaming: The SecuROM issue is very minor... they are left over files that litterally do nothing unless a game is install that has working SecuROM. Not exactly a high priority and an issue that some people have made bigger than what it is.

This is a far different situation...
I agree with you, but if GOG can't or simple won't fix this simple problem, do you really believe that they are able to fix a bigger problem in less time? I don't!
I’ve heard lots of bad things about the interface, and have no interest in any other players affecting my game (naming things etc). Feature that might tempt me to play:
– A setting that makes the game completely offline, so it never tries to connect to a server or downloads data about what other players have done.
– A decent flight model above planets, where the ship can crash into scenery if you aren’t careful.
I’d probably buy it then. I’d also be happy with far fewer planets, but with much more variety between them. Remove the other players from the equation and you don’t need so many. So it was like Starglider 2, but with totally different planets each time I played. I prefer replayable quality to stretched-thin quantity.
kdgog: – A setting that makes the game completely offline, so it never tries to connect to a server or downloads data about what other players have done.
This has always being available from version 1.0... game can work 100% offline, your discoveries and naming stays on a local database
Konrad: Hey everyone,
I can confirm that the ghost multiplayer feature isn't included in our build right now. We're going to keep you updated as the situation clears up.

Really sorry about the confusion here, and thanks a million for bearing with us!
BKGaming: I realize this may not exactly be GOG's fault, but you guys do realize that stuff like this only re-enforces that Steam is the place to buy games with online features and not GOG? Many people are now complaining on Reddit about buying the GOG version. :/

Let's hope this is worked out sooner rather than later...
It doesn't matter the features you have in the game but as you just said it it will make me think twice in the future where I buy my game.

I really hope we will have an info soon
kdgog: I’ve heard lots of bad things about the interface, and have no interest in any other players affecting my game (naming things etc). Feature that might tempt me to play:
– A setting that makes the game completely offline, so it never tries to connect to a server or downloads data about what other players have done.
– A decent flight model above planets, where the ship can crash into scenery if you aren’t careful.
I’d probably buy it then. I’d also be happy with far fewer planets, but with much more variety between them. Remove the other players from the equation and you don’t need so many. So it was like Starglider 2, but with totally different planets each time I played. I prefer replayable quality to stretched-thin quantity.
The user interface in the original release of the game was absolutely atrocious. Fortunately a number of mods came out that relieved that pain somewhat. I haven't played it since the month it came out though so no idea if they ever updated the crappy UI to be more user friendly and less extremely annoying, but there are probably mods out there still to fix things up if it is still annoying.

The flight model was terrible, so I'd agree with your thoughts on that for sure. One of the most annoying aspects of flight was getting in your ship and lightly taking off and having your ship magically catapulted a million miles into the atmosphere and out into space instantly due to some kind of annoying game bug. Also, the atmosphere was unrealistically thin on all planets, it felt like it was maybe 1000 feet distance from the ground to the vacuum of space, making it hard to get some height and not risk triggering "you're going into space" mode.

Agreed on the increased variety between planets also.
kdgog: – A setting that makes the game completely offline, so it never tries to connect to a server or downloads data about what other players have done.
Antaniserse: This has always being available from version 1.0... game can work 100% offline, your discoveries and naming stays on a local database
Thanks, I didn't know that - Hello Games didn't reply when I asked about it. I'd got the impression that the game _worked_ offline but the only way to stop it going online was to block it in the firewall and all that faff, that there was no in-game or installation setting that stopped it ever going online. If I was wrong, and you can just tick a box, then I am glad about that.
There's a single player story then? Can we customize our ship or, better yet, build it from scratch?
OdanUrr: There's a single player story then? Can we customize our ship or, better yet, build it from scratch?
Yes to all of those. And it has been that way almost since launch.

[EDIT] Actually, scratch that, you can't exactly "craft" a ship, but you can modify it so much that you do feel you built it from scratch, I guess...?
Post edited August 12, 2017 by groze
OdanUrr: There's a single player story then? Can we customize our ship or, better yet, build it from scratch?
groze: Yes to all of those. And it has been that way almost since launch.

[EDIT] Actually, scratch that, you can't exactly "craft" a ship, but you can modify it so much that you do feel you built it from scratch, I guess...?
You can customize a ship's functionality, but not its appearance -- or at least you couldn't do that in the old version of the game. I don't know if they have some simple cosmetics customization now, such as custom colors/paint jobs.
groze: Yes to all of those. And it has been that way almost since launch.

CharlesGrey: You can customize a ship's functionality, but not its appearance -- or at least you couldn't do that in the old version of the game. I don't know if they have some simple cosmetics customization now, such as custom colors/paint jobs.
You're right, I may have answered OdanUrr too soon and impulsively. No, you can't customize your ship, cosmetics-wise, and you can't "craft" one from the start.

Still, there *is* a single player story mode (a pretty hefty one, at that, all things considered), and you *can* customize your ship -- and vehicles -- a whole lot, but only from a functionality standpoint (minor appearance tweaks, but nothing really worth mentioning). You also get to buy and find new ships as you go further into the game and the story, even ranging in vessel class, too, but you cannot build any of those from the ground up.

Planet Nomads seems to be more in line with what you're looking for, but it's still In Dev/Early Access, and apparently a lot of reviewers complain about some blatant unfinished aspects of it (which, well, can be excused, I guess, since the game is still being developed). You don't seem to be able to fly ships, but you can definitely build your own vehicles. And I haven't heard anything mentioned about a story, either; it seems to be just a crafting/exploration/survival game. Still worth taking a look at, I think, if you like games like No Man's Sky.
Post edited August 12, 2017 by groze
Having bought it, I can say that what is there looks pretty good, and performance issues are supposed to be fixed in the huge update next Thursday. It's still swamped by bugs though.
Even though I was well impressed with the reveal at E3 in 2015 (?) and almost preordered, I held out after reading the adverse comments on Steam and suchlike, deciding to wait for a sale. Bought it yesterday here on GOG and so far I'm impressed; I like the pace and the mechanics of the game and more than happy with the bargain price!
No crashes or bugs to report and I'm not interested in multiplayer, so perfectly happy to mooch along in SP and will probably still be playing this time next year.
The only thing I miss is that fab music from the trailer.
Rufinoman: Even though I was well impressed with the reveal at E3 in 2015 (?) and almost preordered, I held out after reading the adverse comments on Steam and suchlike, deciding to wait for a sale. Bought it yesterday here on GOG and so far I'm impressed; I like the pace and the mechanics of the game and more than happy with the bargain price!
No crashes or bugs to report and I'm not interested in multiplayer, so perfectly happy to mooch along in SP and will probably still be playing this time next year.
The only thing I miss is that fab music from the trailer.
I am on the fence of buying this game, I am interested, but read about a lot of bugs and performance issues with the new patch.

But the soundtrack that is awesome and in my opinion one of the best ever composed for a game, look no further. This was the first time that I bought a double cd pack just after listening to about 5 minutes of the soundtrack. 65 Days Of Static made a masterpiece if you like Post-Rock.

Trailer Music

https://www.lacedrecords.co/collections/no-mans-sky
Post edited August 13, 2017 by MaGo72