It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

high rated
IMPORTANT: Please read before posting This topic has been provided to discuss the latest releases of our Downloader (for both Mac and Windows systems) and to submit bug reports. The stable releases (recommended for most users) can be found at this address:http://www.gog.com/downloader.

Latest version:

Mac OS X - 1.2 (build 512)
Windows - 3.6.0

Both Downloaders now have the option of sending Error Reports directly to us (this can be found in app under Settings).
Post edited October 29, 2013 by Fallen_Zen
lynthorpe: I've downloaded without using Gog but this is where it all goes horribly wrong for me! When i try to open the setup I get a message saying "Installer needs the next part(.BIN) file. Please specify the location of part 5 and click ok. By default files should be placed in the same folder as the installer itself. Please click Browse and specify the correct path" I've tried selecting everything I can find to do with Gog and BS5 but none seem to be correct. If you can offer some help I'd be grateful. I've also tried locating the Gog user folder using your info (putting my username in) but no results. I'm totally useless with this sort of stuff! I'm running Win8
HypersomniacLive: Give me a moment to make some screenshots!

EDIT: Do you use the shelf or the list view for your games?
Usually use shelf. Just tried in list view after seeing your post but still getting chunksum errors

lynthorpe: Usually use shelf. Just tried in list view after seeing your post but still getting chunksum errors
I noticed you're getting the "can't find the next BIN" error. Can you tell me if you have these files in one directory?

Files:

setup_broken_sword_5_2.0.0.2.exe
setup_broken_sword_5_2.0.0.2-1.bin
setup_broken_sword_5_2.0.0.2-2.bin
setup_broken_sword_5_2.0.0.2-3.bin
setup_broken_sword_5_2.0.0.2-4.bin
setup_broken_sword_5_2.0.0.2-5.bin

lynthorpe: Usually use shelf. Just tried in list view after seeing your post but still getting chunksum errors
Sorry for making you wait, got caught up on the phone.

OK, let's see if we can fix the problem.

-- If you download using your browser

1. Do you know where your browser saves your downloads? Do you know how to create a folder and tell your browser to save your downloads into it? What browser do you use?
2. You need to make sure that your download all installation files into the same folder. This means that you need to download all six files (see attached pic) into the same file. From those files, the smallest one is an .exe file and the others are .bin files. To install the game you will run the .exe file which will take care of the .bin files, but they all have to be in the same folder. Can you check if you have downloaded all six files into the same folder?
If you missed any file, you need to downloaded before trying to install the game.

If you download using the GOG Downloader

(1) The path to find your GOG user folder should be C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\GOG.com on Win8. Clean that folder while the Downloader doesn't run.
(2) Before attempting a new download, try to refresh your Account using this link: https://secure.gog.com/account/refresh. Not sure it'll help, but it won't hurt either.

If you need help answering any of my question or executing any of the steps, ask and I'll try to guide you through what needs to be done. ;-)
Attachments:
bf_files.png (91 Kb)
Ok. This is gonna be a long one!
Firstly thanks for all your help HyperinsomniacLive and JudasIscariot.
Tried the search for the GoG folder...no results. However i do have 2 folders 1 is Gog Games in my local disk which contains most of me GoG games including the original download of Ep1 and another, GoG.com in my programme files x86 which has the downloader and weirdly a couple of the games.
The files are in my Downloads folder. I created a new folder within that and dragged the setup and all the bin files into that. I then created a new folder within Gog games and tried opening the setup file to that but I am still getting the same message ie "Installer needs the next part(.BIN) file. I also tried the original BS5 folder with same result.
I have an old Win7 laptop and i have managed to download using Gog to that and it's working fine so I'm guessing that means there is a problem with the original Ep1 on my Win 8. Not ideal but at least I can play.
Lastly I have had a reply from Support as follows:-

Apr 20 2014, 12:45 PM
Subject:
Re: Broken Sword 5 Season Pass
Hi, If you're experiencing the "error at chunk X" issue, please go into the Downloader's settings, limit the amount of concurrent downloads to 1, shut down the Downloader, and try downloading the game once more.

There are two possible reasons known to us:
1) The user's Internet connection is under stress and the Downloader is unable to request further file "chunks", after multiple attempts,
2) A part of a game's files is damaged on one of our mirrors. This is extremely rare, but we will refresh the suspected games across our CDN within a few hours after processing this support ticket.

We are still working on further safeguards against this type of issue, and introducing more precise error messages to make it easier to investigate this issue. An update to the Downloader is currently in the final stages of development and should be deployed soon. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Konrad
GOG.com Support

This answer concerns ticket number 8PN5XEO4, which is now closed.
You can reply to this e-mail to reopen the ticket.

How do I clean out a folder? Can't do it in control panel/uninstall...not there. Do I just delete everything or what?
Post edited April 21, 2014 by lynthorpe
lynthorpe: How do I clean out a folder? Can't do it in control panel/uninstall...not there. Do I just delete everything or what?
The GOG.com folder is in AppData\local which is a hidden folder, so I don't think it turns up while searching. Typing %localappdata% in your explorer's address bar though should navigate you to c:\Users\{Username}\AppData\Local (or your language equivalent). You should be able to find the GOG.com folder then, and be able to delete everything in it.
lynthorpe: snip

Tried the search for the GoG folder...no results. However i do have 2 folders 1 is Gog Games in my local disk which contains most of me GoG games including the original download of Ep1 and another, GoG.com in my programme files x86 which has the downloader and weirdly a couple of the games.

snip

How do I clean out a folder? Can't do it in control panel/uninstall...not there. Do I just delete everything or what?
Sorry, lynthorpe, I have hidden files and folders set to always show on my systems, so completely forgot about instructing you on this one. Just follow JMich instructions and yes, you just delete everything in it.

The other folders you mention are not relevant to our attempt to "fix" any potential GOG Downloader issues.

[...] but I am still getting the same message ie "Installer needs the next part(.BIN) file.

snip
Does the error message say which particular .bin file causes the problem? If it does, you could try to delete that particular one from your HD and re-download it.

Regarding GOG Support's reply - I'd first clean everything in the user GOG folder before attempting any new download with the GOG Downloader.

I have an old Win7 laptop and i have managed to download using Gog to that and it's working fine so I'm guessing that means there is a problem with the original Ep1 on my Win 8.
snip
If you want to play on your Win8 system, I'd suggest you delete BF5 Episode 1 from it (backup your save games before), then copy the files you downloaded to your Win7 laptop over to your Win8 system and try a fresh installation.

Hope you get it working! ;-)
Aaaaaagh! Tried searching my whole pc for %localappdata%...no results!

This is what I get when i try to open the .exe file.
"Installer needs the next part(.BIN) file. Please specify the location of part 5 and click ok. By default files should be placed in the same folder as the installer itself. Please click Browse and specify the correct path". Don't think everything downloaded properly as several of the bin files are substantially less than 1.5gb.

I've deleted everything remotely related to BS5 and tried using the GoG downloader but still getting the same old chunksum errors.

You know what guys...think I'm gonna play it on the old pc then try and transfer it to the newer one.
Feel like I've wasted enough of everybody's time but I really appreciate all your efforts and sorry for being so dumb.

However if anyone can give me a step by step guide to downloading all into the same directory I'll definitely give it another go. I'm moving house soon so have loads to do!!!
lynthorpe: Aaaaaagh! Tried searching my whole pc for %localappdata%...no results!

This is what I get when i try to open the .exe file.
"Installer needs the next part(.BIN) file. Please specify the location of part 5 and click ok. By default files should be placed in the same folder as the installer itself. Please click Browse and specify the correct path". Don't think everything downloaded properly as several of the bin files are substantially less than 1.5gb.

I've deleted everything remotely related to BS5 and tried using the GoG downloader but still getting the same old chunksum errors.

You know what guys...think I'm gonna play it on the old pc then try and transfer it to the newer one.
Feel like I've wasted enough of everybody's time but I really appreciate all your efforts and sorry for being so dumb.

However if anyone can give me a step by step guide to downloading all into the same directory I'll definitely give it another go. I'm moving house soon so have loads to do!!!
I'd gladly walk you through, just PM me when you're ready to give it a go. ;-)
lynthorpe: Aaaaaagh! Tried searching my whole pc for %localappdata%...no results!
Type %localappdata% in explorer's address bar. See attached image. Clicking there should allow you to type.
If the address bar is not visible in your explorer, you can also run it. Press the windows key together with R and it should give you the run command prompt, where typing %localappdata% should also open the relevant folder.
Attachments:
capture.png (44 Kb)
Yaaaay! Woohoo! Thanks JMich. Found that old hidden Gog file and deleted and now.....left the game downloading while I went to work and it's now installing! Brill. Ok I forgot about my savegames but as I'm playing it my other pc now anyway, it will be there as a whole new adventure in future when I feel like playing it again

Thanks to everyone on here for your support. You've made an old lady (who got drawn into the secrets of MI in her 40s, some 20yrs ago, and has never looked back) very happy. :-)
I'm Having an issue with every game off gog I try to setup. At the end of the setup (the bar at the bottom is completely filled) I get a message that says setup, uninstall has stopped working. Always at the end of every game setup. I have windows 7 and have dropped the eul down to nothing and it hasn't helped... any other suggestions??
gmanri: I'm Having an issue with every game off gog I try to setup. At the end of the setup (the bar at the bottom is completely filled) I get a message that says setup, uninstall has stopped working. Always at the end of every game setup. I have windows 7 and have dropped the eul down to nothing and it hasn't helped... any other suggestions??
What antivirus program are you running? Some, like AVG are known to cause problems.
Hello,

I have a problem using the Mac version of the GOG Downloader. When I open up the downloader, all the games that I'm downloading appear and then they all disappear, although the downloading continues. Is there anyway to actually see what's being downloaded? I'm downloading to an external drive and there's a lot of files if that helps. Thanks!
Occasionally when GOG downloader starts up I am greeted with a dialog box asking me whether it is ok to permit it to add cookies to my system. That's a bit of a surprise for me because for starters I do not use Internet Explorer and it is trying to set cookies in Internet Explorer, and I don't allow it or see any good reason why it should be setting cookies in any web browser.

Why does GOG downloader use cookies for anything at all? If it were any other program my "trust radar" would be working overtime and I'd uninstall the program for trying to tamper with browser cookies. I completely trust GOG though so I'm giving the benefit of doubt about it not being for nefarious purposes, but I'm not allowing it to happen either. I don't want any software setting cookies on my computer for any reason except the web browser that I actually use (Firefox) itself, and only then once I've given a particular website permission to do so (I use the CookieMonster extension to control what sites can set/read cookies).

If someone from GOG.com could explain what this is trying to do it would be nice to know, but it seems to be a bad practice in general as it makes the assumption someone is using Internet Explorer as their web browser which is not only a bad assumption to make, it is a decreasingly correct one as other browsers take over the marketshare. It shouldn't be setting cookies in any browser though really.

GOG.com feedback appreciated.
skeletonbow: Occasionally when GOG downloader starts up I am greeted with a dialog box asking me whether it is ok to permit it to add cookies to my system. That's a bit of a surprise for me because for starters I do not use Internet Explorer and it is trying to set cookies in Internet Explorer, and I don't allow it or see any good reason why it should be setting cookies in any web browser.

Why does GOG downloader use cookies for anything at all? If it were any other program my "trust radar" would be working overtime and I'd uninstall the program for trying to tamper with browser cookies. I completely trust GOG though so I'm giving the benefit of doubt about it not being for nefarious purposes, but I'm not allowing it to happen either. I don't want any software setting cookies on my computer for any reason except the web browser that I actually use (Firefox) itself, and only then once I've given a particular website permission to do so (I use the CookieMonster extension to control what sites can set/read cookies).

If someone from GOG.com could explain what this is trying to do it would be nice to know, but it seems to be a bad practice in general as it makes the assumption someone is using Internet Explorer as their web browser which is not only a bad assumption to make, it is a decreasingly correct one as other browsers take over the marketshare. It shouldn't be setting cookies in any browser though really.

GOG.com feedback appreciated.
Could you make any screenshot of it? The GOG Downloader doesn't need any cookies at all (I am creator of it the Downloader).