It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

high rated
IMPORTANT: Please read before posting This topic has been provided to discuss the latest releases of our Downloader (for both Mac and Windows systems) and to submit bug reports. The stable releases (recommended for most users) can be found at this address:http://www.gog.com/downloader.

Latest version:

Mac OS X - 1.2 (build 512)
Windows - 3.6.0

Both Downloaders now have the option of sending Error Reports directly to us (this can be found in app under Settings).
Post edited October 29, 2013 by Fallen_Zen
bsharp2: Ok, tried that
I still get the same message
Will not Install
Try /verysilent instead of /silent. If that doesn't work either, can you post a screenshot of the error message?
bsharp2: Ok, tried that
I still get the same message
Will not Install
JMich: Try /verysilent instead of /silent. If that doesn't work either, can you post a screenshot of the error message?
Here is the error message
Attachments:
Im just trying to download a game using the gog downloader and it seems to be stuck at about a third of the way through. I tried closing it down and starting again, changing browser, restarting the computer and it still wont continue the download. Any way to get it started again?

update: I just tried to download anothger file and it seems to be stuck on pause even though its not actually on pause, I even tried pausing it then resuming it but that didnt work either. Its a bit fustrating.
Post edited May 09, 2014 by Schizodeluxe
I don't know if this is the right forum but I dowwnloaded the recently released game "Tesla Effect" and the version numbers of the installer were 2.0.0.7 now, only a few days later, the version numbers are 2.0.0.9. I cannot imagine that the devs already did an update. And if there really is an update for a GOG game do you haveto redownload the whole game again? (for Tesla Effect that would be about 15GB and my bandwith is not that great).
skeletonbow: Ok it just happened again. I got a notification there was a new game update, went to my shelf (in Firefox 29) and the game updated was "To the Moon". I clicked on the game and then on the bonus materials button which fired up GOG downloader and as it started I got the following Internet Explorer cookie popup attached below as requested. I did not close the cookie dialogue (it is still open), however the download went ahead in GOG downloader as did the game download which I clicked on next.

If you could look into this it'd be very much appreciated, thanks!
(...)
Firek: The Downloader queries the website, which could prompt the cookie notification window. The main dev responsible for the Downloader has assured me that it does not use cookies on its own.
Either way, GOG's software is trying to set a cookie in my web browser and I consider that unnecessary regardless of the underlying technical reason of why it is happening. It should respect a user's privacy and not muck with their browser behind the scenes, especially if they don't even use Internet Explorer to begin with. I don't have any other option right now other than to tell the browser to block all cookies from GOG.com in the future, but this is IMHO a hack workaround and not a real solution.

I'd like to see a future version of the browser fix this problem and not set any cookies at all. GOG controls both the source code of the downloader program and any code running on their website that sets or requests cookies so it is not unreasonable to ask that it not set cookies on people's computers - especially if it is not actually using the cookies for anything as is being claimed. When people's security software/settings end up triggering warnings like this when using a product it is a bad customer experience and while it isn't going to scare me away from GOG, it might scare other people who are less technically inclined that see such messages pop up, even if they're in the minority of users and don't report the problem to GOG.

I first noticed this problem only some number of months ago, and it never happened before that so GOG must have changed something either in the downloader code or the website code or both to make it start doing this all of a sudden, or at least that's my current perception as I haven't been getting such popups since 2009 when I joined the site but rather just in the last 6 months or so.

It isn't a high priority to rush to fix ASAP of course, but I think it should be fixed during a future update and thrown into the mix.
MarkoH01: I don't know if this is the right forum but I dowwnloaded the recently released game "Tesla Effect" and the version numbers of the installer were 2.0.0.7 now, only a few days later, the version numbers are 2.0.0.9. I cannot imagine that the devs already did an update. And if there really is an update for a GOG game do you haveto redownload the whole game again? (for Tesla Effect that would be about 15GB and my bandwith is not that great).
If you did not receive a game update notification through the GOG downloader or in your online GOG account then don't worry about it. GOG often fixes problems in the installer or other low priority things such as updating a manual or adding artwork or similar things which are very low priority updates that do not fire off game update notifications so that people avoid downloading entire games all over again for some minor thing. Generally speaking the only time you need to download again is if there is a new actual patch for a game and it fires off a notification to you that there is a game update available.

There is also a thread in the forums named "What did just update?" where GOG folk as well as others regularly post when games are updated and why they were updated. I haven't checked today but there's a good chance that someone has posted why Tesla Effect is updated there, or that they will if someone posts there asking why.

Hope this helps.
Post edited May 09, 2014 by skeletonbow
JMich: Try /verysilent instead of /silent. If that doesn't work either, can you post a screenshot of the error message?
bsharp2: Here is the error message
Unfortunately, I haven't encountered said error before, and my google-fu is turning up blank. I'd suggest sending support a ticket, since they should be able to help you. Hope you get the games working :)
@skeletenbow: Thank you very much - that helps a lot :)
How do I check if my downloaded installers have a new version? I have quite some installers downloaded. Is there a way to do a massive hash checking on all of them to see if new versions are available for download?
Fist a quick question: Does the GOG downloader auto-updates itself? Has anything been changed recently?

Now on to my problem: my GOG downloader stopped working suddenly this week. I've downloading the first games I got during the sale with no issue, but around tuesday/wednesday I added the games to the queue as usual and the download began. After a few minutes it stopped suddenly and froze on the "downloading" status. It's been like that ever since. I tried everything I can think of to no avail: pausing/resuming, clearing the queue and adding different games, re-installing the downloader using the latest version available, rebooting my computer, disabling antivirus/firewall. The items get added normally and stay indefinitely on the "Downloading" status at 0 bytes.

I'm on Windows 7 64-bit and Pale Moon browser (I just tested and get the same results from Chrome). Thanks in advance for your attention.

EDIT: Nevermind, it went back to nomal.
Post edited May 18, 2014 by PokerCrow
Malwarebytes has a new program called Anti-Exploit. It was offered to me today, free, so since I trust Malwarebytes I said sure and installed it.

A few hours later, I wanted to download a game from GOG and I couldn't. I'd click on a game and instead of it going into my waiting, open downloader, a new tab of My Shelf would pop open. I was looking at three or four tabs of My Shelf before it sank in that nothing was going to happen as far as the dl was concerned. Obviously, I'm either dumb or hard to convince.

So, I remembered installing Anti-Exploit and went in and turned off Protection. Sure enough, the GOG downloader works now. Very well indeed, as usual.

FYI
Post edited May 17, 2014 by irondog
irondog: Malwarebytes has a new program called Anti-Exploit. It was offered to me today, free, so since I trust Malwarebytes I said sure and installed it.

A few hours later, I wanted to download a game from GOG and I couldn't. I'd click on a game and instead of it going into my waiting, open downloader, a new tab of My Shelf would pop open. I was looking at three or four tabs of My Shelf before it sank in that nothing was going to happen as far as the dl was concerned. Obviously, I'm either dumb or hard to convince.

So, I remembered installing Anti-Exploit and went in and turned off Protection. Sure enough, the GOG downloader works now. Very well indeed, as usual.

FYI
I'm really not surprised that MalwareBytes flags it since it integrates with the browser and a program (Downloader) on the computer. Isn't there an option to ignore it? This is a normal fix for trusted applications. The GOG downloader is not the only legitimate program that can cause malware/virus alerts. The GOG downloader is being opened remotely and why it alerts.
sgoshe: I'm really not surprised that MalwareBytes flags it since it integrates with the browser and a program (Downloader) on the computer. Isn't there an option to ignore it? This is a normal fix for trusted applications. The GOG downloader is not the only legitimate program that can cause malware/virus alerts. The GOG downloader is being opened remotely and why it alerts.
There is a tab in Anti-Exploit for Exclusions but how many people who are not particularly tech savvy, like me, would think this program had caused something that odd to happen, especially if they had not just downloaded Anti-Exploit? I added a note to this sticky in case it happened to someone else and they had no idea what caused it.
sgoshe: I'm really not surprised that MalwareBytes flags it since it integrates with the browser and a program (Downloader) on the computer. Isn't there an option to ignore it? This is a normal fix for trusted applications. The GOG downloader is not the only legitimate program that can cause malware/virus alerts. The GOG downloader is being opened remotely and why it alerts.
irondog: There is a tab in Anti-Exploit for Exclusions but how many people who are not particularly tech savvy, like me, would think this program had caused something that odd to happen, especially if they had not just downloaded Anti-Exploit? I added a note to this sticky in case it happened to someone else and they had no idea what caused it.
Understand. Good info and hopefully helps others.
I have the most updated version of the downloader. Recently, it has been stuck on "Paused" for all files. I can't unpause or clear files. Have been downloading manually since. Anyone have the solution for this?
wanderwoman25: I have the most updated version of the downloader. Recently, it has been stuck on "Paused" for all files. I can't unpause or clear files. Have been downloading manually since. Anyone have the solution for this?
Try uninstalling and be sure to delete the GOG folder in your C:/users/{yourname}/AppData/Local directory. Reinstall ans see if it works.