It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

I don't have a Steam account and I won't buy any game that would require such atrocity.
I already passed on Civ 5, Skyrim, and some others which I would have bought otherwise.

I came to GOG because of Age of Wonders III, but I have already bought a bunch of classic games on top of that (and I hardly can resist some of the discounts ;-)). Plus, my wishlist is ever growing.
Post edited April 17, 2014 by Mondkalb
I don't consciously 'boycott' Steam. Rather, I just don't care for a client-attached-to-mothership-DRM-thingy-(that also has to be running on my system constantly) so I just more 'avoid' buying their games.

I have made an exception: Fallout New Vegas. Knowing me I'll except again for the next Fallout (assuming it's highly moddable like the previous ones).

Other than that I have no attraction to the Steam 'goodies' (they are not worth 'the price of admission' to me; ie, the DRM); and no irresistible urge to have something that I must get on Steam. So I just don't go there.
I don't have a steam account and before considering any non-GOG game, normally promotions, check it's DRM. If there is, I dismiss the game.

The two exceptions are;
- Guild Wars which was my first proper pc game after buying my laptop. I wasn't aware of DRM and how intrusive it was at the time.

- Dead Space when it was offered for free. I played for about 1/2 an hour then realised the controls were terrible and uninstalled it along with Origin.

Dead Space actually left me with a feeling of guilt - it was like I'd let myself and my principles down.
pigdog: I don't have a steam account and before considering any non-GOG game, normally promotions, check it's DRM. If there is, I dismiss the game.

The two exceptions are;
- Guild Wars which was my first proper pc game after buying my laptop. I wasn't aware of DRM and how intrusive it was at the time.

- Dead Space when it was offered for free. I played for about 1/2 an hour then realised the controls were terrible and uninstalled it along with Origin.

Dead Space actually left me with a feeling of guilt - it was like I'd let myself and my principles down.
Why? It's not like you spent money on Dead Space...
I don't boycott them. I have a rather positive experience with their services, and it's quite practical to have a central place to signup for DRM'd games. Easier than getting accounts all over the place.

I prefer GOG, though, so if a game is announced on both stores, I will get it here, even if I have to wait a few weeks/month. Even for a higher price.

But if I want a game, and it's not here? I'll go to their store. They're simply n°2
Fever_Discordia: My GOG Library is around 200 games but my Steam library is about 3 and a half times bigger than that!
Mostly through bundles and other deals, it also seems to count each Telltale episode as a separate game, but still...
Same with me... I have also just 3 games (Empire, DoW2, Space Marine) on Steam. I bought those games two years ago and I regret it.... Now I'm fighting myself over buying or boycotting the South Park game due to DRM and that crazy censorship (I understand that they censored the NS-Symbols, but I totally hate these big black boxes. There would have been a better variant....)

I hate DRM and I hope that one day, it will be over....
I don't so much boycott Steam, but I do allow DRM to guide my valuation of a game's worth. A digitally distributed game already has very little value to me, as it cannot be resold, has no collector's value and forces the buyer's risk wholly onto me. That means my price ceiling for Steam games is generally usually around €5, €10 at maximum for games I really, really want and aren't available elsewhere, although that is an extreme rarity and my last couple of experiences with that (State of Decay) mean that I'm moving away from this practice.

That threshold is a bit higher with GOG due to the DRM-freedom actually ensuring I can keep my games - around $20 - although my full-priced purchases of €40-50 are limited to DRM-free physical purchases nowadays.

I feel I'm sending a good enough message by doing this - if the publishers want to drastically restrict what I can do with my games and the benefits I get out of them, then the price I'm willing to pay falls drastically accordingly. I'll be paying full price on day one for the boxed version of The Witcher 3, as I will for Risen 3 assuming that Deep Silver keeps its promise. But until DRM-free becomes the standard again on PC, most of my gaming money wil be going on WIi U and PS3 games.

I'm fine with the 'convenience' of Steam when I have a DRM-free option through GOG, Humble Store, consoles etc. I'll often pick up the PC version of a game for $5 later on that I already have for console (Injustice, Mortal Kombat, Deadpool). But that convenience has often proven to be nothing of the sort, with the forced autopatching often borking games, Steam increasingly frequently going down for hours at a time and the horrendously bad and clunky Steam client. Steam versions for me are a nice bonus, but just having a Steam version is pretty much a last and desperate resort for me.
Post edited April 17, 2014 by jamyskis
pigdog: I don't have a steam account and before considering any non-GOG game, normally promotions, check it's DRM. If there is, I dismiss the game.

The two exceptions are;

monkeydelarge: Why? It's not like you spent money on Dead Space...
Not from a financial perspective - if anything, being free was the problem. It's like I brushed away my principles. My self-esteem is artificially assisted (everyone probably knows what I mean but I hate being specific on a forum) but one thing I cling on to are my principles.
Never bought from Steam. Don't intend to start.
My Steam library is over 400 (mostly indie bundle keys)atm, but it stopped growing quitely dramatically over the last 12 months.. The only games i actually bought from Steam in the last 6 months were AC IV,Might and Magic Legacy X and Fm2014 (none of those 3 would most likely ever be on GOG sadly) . I also stopped buying up indie bundles with mostly Steam games, and the indie bundles i had bought for DRM free i either traded or gave away the Steam keys. My GOG library has grow quickly - im around the 195 mark now - i think i started around 150 at the start of this year :).
Post edited April 17, 2014 by Niggles
I don't boycott Steam I just see no need to go there when I have this place. If I had a ultra high end OS with a reliable internet connection (I'm in a blizzard right now so having to be on line to play would be impossible) maybe I might taste the waters over there but I doubt it. I joined GG for one game and I'm going to ignore them until they discount it. :D
tinyE: (I'm in a blizzard right now so having to be on line to play would be impossible)
...and that would make Jack a dull boy.

*shivers*
tinyE: (I'm in a blizzard right now so having to be on line to play would be impossible)
Telika: ...and that would make Jack a dull boy.

*shivers*
See the "bitch thread" for a ten minute old picture of my neighborhood. :'-(
tinyE: I don't boycott Steam I just see no need to go there when I have this place. If I had a ultra high end OS with a reliable internet connection (I'm in a blizzard right now so having to be on line to play would be impossible) maybe I might taste the waters over there but I doubt it. I joined GG for one game and I'm going to ignore them until they discount it. :D
Im kinda curious. Whats your steam game count vs GOG?
tinyE: I don't boycott Steam I just see no need to go there when I have this place. If I had a ultra high end OS with a reliable internet connection (I'm in a blizzard right now so having to be on line to play would be impossible) maybe I might taste the waters over there but I doubt it. I joined GG for one game and I'm going to ignore them until they discount it. :D
Niggles: Im kinda curious. Whats your steam game count vs GOG?
I don't have a Steam account. I just said that, or didn't I? Shit it is too early for these type questions!