It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Who necro-ed this thing? Isn't the original thread from last year?

Anyhow, in between GOG and the games I already own, I have plenty of choices to satisfy my gaming needs. So I wouldn't call it a boycott; I just have absolutely no need to join Steam, Origin, UPlay(sp?) and the like, and would rather spend my money and time elsewhere.
CharlesGrey: Who necro-ed this thing? Isn't the original thread from last year?
Br0adsw0rd the Necromancer in post 305.
Trilarion: Now that is most probably just indifference or laziness. If you would like to play games from Steam but don't want to sign up, then this would be a boycott.
TwoHandedSword: It's neither laziness nor indifference. I decided I just didn't want to support a site that supports DRM.

But since I've never even signed up, Steam doesn't even know I exist. So my question once again is, does this still count as a boycott even if it's all in my own mind?
Not wanting to sign up at Steam and at the same time also buying somewhere else implies not wanting to buy at Steam which would be a boycott.
JCD-Bionicman: I boycott steam mainly because the DRM benefits no one. It doesn't prevent piracy, and so it just makes the DRM even more annoying.

I just wanted to post this as a sort of poll to see how many people actually go as far as boycotting Steam games. It'd have to be a damn good game for me to consider buying a Steam exclusive.
I stick with GOG, so?............
My wish lists are full of nice games. Many genres: FPS, RPG, Strategy, Adventure games...
I don't have the time and the money to buy every game released on each platform, each hardware, and so on.
Choice has to be made. I chose to not change the way I used to playing games. I chose to not follow mass market advertisement. I chose to play the games I want to play (obviously :D). And I don't feel the need to make concessions. There are so many deep and entertaining games that fit to my choices. It's fine and I happy with that. Why should I waste my time to search information on games that don't fit to my choices? Why should I care of Steam when I find much more games which fit to my tastes and when some of them are better than Steam ones to me?

Where are the sad things inside that? I don't see any "sacrifice". I am happy because I can choose, and I don't see any emptiness anytime soon.

Maybe I am avoiding Steam. So is it a boycott? Maybe. Maybe not.
I used to boycott Steam games but not anymore. Why?

- I don't buy games on Steam - I buy them on other digital stores so Steam doesn't get as much of my money.
- I only buy the cheapest of games on Steam so if I lose them, it's not a huge deal
- Multiplayer games will most likely die well before Steam does so I have no qualms about getting games like Battlefield 4 for Origin.

Also, too many of my friends stopped using Skype and MSN Messenger in favour of Steam chat. I don't like it because it lacks logging and is very bare-bones but the overlay is very useful it must be said and Steam HAS added a lot of elements that make it much more stable and enjoyable to use which was not the case the first 7-8 years of its existence.
I wonder how different the responses to this are between console gamers and PC only gamers. It would be a lot easier to ignore 90% of published PC games if you had a console that ran the same games without DRM.
Petrell: Br0adsw0rd the Necromancer in post 305.
*DING"

"new title earned"
TwoHandedSword: It's neither laziness nor indifference. I decided I just didn't want to support a site that supports DRM.

But since I've never even signed up, Steam doesn't even know I exist. So my question once again is, does this still count as a boycott even if it's all in my own mind?
Trilarion: Not wanting to sign up at Steam and at the same time also buying somewhere else implies not wanting to buy at Steam which would be a boycott.
Not exactly, since there are other market choices, each one trying to get clients, it can not be a boycott because the lack of one person would not affect the business, in such cases it becomes a boycott when you catively request others to do the same for the purpose of harming the company you don't buy from, if you request them to do the same to help the company you buy from it is not a boycott either.
I am now. I purchased the Elder scrolls anthology at Gamestop. Can't play Skyrim without steam. Figured i'd be a nice guy and install steam so I can play. Can't connect, says to try again later. Shuts down the entire installation. I've tried many times. I looked at the steam forums. I registered to post a question regarding this. Says admin needs to review my application before allowing me to post. FAQ was of no help.

I downloaded a bypass. There's a legit way to bypass steam without 3rd party software but it requires you to log into steam at least once which wasn't an option for me. Gamestop got my money, so Bethesda got their money. I feel clean about this.

I wish the Elder Scroll Series was on GOG.com. Would make dealing with updates, fixes and add-ons so much better.
Gregorydale: Snip
You might have tried while the servers were down for 'maintenance'. Any problems it has typically fixes itself and moves on to another user until the wave is completed. If you need help feel free to ask.
I bought one game on Steam, Wolfenstein 3d, that's it. I have not bought a game on Steam since and that was in 2009. I still use the account, but I don't I just like GOG better.
AnimalMother117: I bought one game on Steam, Wolfenstein 3d, that's it. I have not bought a game on Steam since and that was in 2009. I still use the account, but I don't I just like GOG better.
Same for me. One game from Steam that I really wanted and all the rest (50 games) from GOG. I just like GOG better.
Whatever the amount of games on Steam that are Steam exclusive, which, thanks to Steam's wonderful business model, is basically all of them.

I had a Steam account WAY back in the day, around 2008. Found out I had to have one to install and play Empire Total War. Set up the account, logged in, learned I had a mandatory auto patch that was around 1.2 gigs. Patch download and install took about 5 hours. Loaded up game, realized that offline mode wasn't working. From game store purchase and install to actual play time was around 7 hours. Game ran and played like crap. Looked up customer assistance forums to try and find a workaround for auto patching and offline mode. Didn't get much help. Noticed most of forum users were annoying, know-it-all 14 yr olds with no sense of respect, decency, or fiscal responsibility. A while later learned that Left for Dead 2 had similar install and auto patching problems. It was around that time that I discovered just how malignant Steam had become with the gaming world, slowly taking over one dev at a time... creeping, devouring all before it like a cancer.

Pretty much threw in the towel then and haven't used it since and will never use it again. So yeah, I'd say that I boycott Steam games just on damn principle.
My GOG Library is around 200 games but my Steam library is about 3 and a half times bigger than that!
Mostly through bundles and other deals, it also seems to count each Telltale episode as a separate game, but still...
Post edited April 17, 2014 by Fever_Discordia