It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

GOG is DRM free stuff since it would be pirated anyway. So there is absolutely no reason to pirate GOGs other than being a criminal or in a very underdeveloped country where you have no money at all. Heck, I can understand if someone pirates GOGs there with his 100 dollar laptop when you get an income of like 5 dollars or less per month, like in the poorest countries. And I don't think GOG should do something against piracy from the Sudan or something, it would be bad for both sides. But not if someone does that in a state where a GOG is far less than a month's income. In the "rich" part of the world, pirating from GOG - if you're knowing what GOG is - is just a criminal act. Then GOG should take all action it can take since you don't damage only GOG but also all legit gamers.

Now be ashamed, if you're a pirate!
Post edited April 03, 2012 by Protoss
Protoss: GOG is DRM free stuff since it would be pirated anyway. So there is absolutely no reason to pirate GOGs other than being a criminal or in a very underdeveloped country where you have no money at all. Heck, I can understand if someone pirates GOGs there with his 100 dollar laptop when you get an income of like 5 dollars or less per month, like in the poorest countries. And I don't think GOG should do something against piracy from the Sudan or something, it would be bad for both sides. But not if someone does that in a state where a GOG is far less than a month's income. In the "rich" part of the world, pirating from GOG - if you're knowing what GOG is - is just a criminal act. Then GOG should take all action it can take since you don't damage only GOG but also all legit gamers.

Now be ashamed, if you're a pirate!
Actually, in Somalia which is a very poor country, piracy is a huge problem
Crosmando: Actually, in Somalia which is a very poor country, piracy is a huge problem
I meant video games piracy. We know about the other ones and our army intervenes there.
Protoss: GOG is DRM free stuff since it would be pirated anyway. So there is absolutely no reason to pirate GOGs other than being a criminal or in a very underdeveloped country where you have no money at all.
Somewhere between anyway, and 'So', I'm missing a massive leap in logic I think

'Hey, it would be pirated anyway so it makes no sense to pirate it!' ... what? xD

Unless you mean it shouldn't be pirated because of the DRM-free, but that's (mostly) not why people pirate. They pirate to get the game. And in Gog's case, it's probably the best version to pirate for the simple fact that they're simple and prepared installers. It's actually a mark of quality in some ways I imagine, lol.
Darling_Jimmy: How many times do we need to have this discussion before people get tired of it?
Thunderstone: debaters gonna debate
http://xkcd.com/386/
If there's one thing I dislike more than directionless, fallacious arguing, it's smug guys implying a medium makes communication irrelevant.
It's not the "where" that's wrong. It's not the "what" either. It's merely "how". If everyone here had focused on a single issue, adhered to basic rules of proper reasoning and respected all others, not getting carried away by emotions... we would have reach plenty of simple conclusions shortly, in addition, perhaps, to some conditional statements hinging on veracity of some key premises...

But - no. It's a lot easier to go "Hurr durr - postmodernism, pointless bickering, Interwebz" :|.
Vestin: If there's one thing I dislike more than directionless, fallacious arguing, it's smug guys implying a medium makes communication irrelevant.
It's not the "where" that's wrong. It's not the "what" either. It's merely "how". If everyone here had focused on a single issue, adhered to basic rules of proper reasoning and respected all others, not getting carried away by emotions... we would have reach plenty of simple conclusions shortly, in addition, perhaps, to some conditional statements hinging on veracity of some key premises...

But - no. It's a lot easier to go "Hurr durr - postmodernism, pointless bickering, Interwebz" :|.
I am trying a bit to converse and debate rationally, but for some reason some here just keep up with spouting the same generalizations on both sides. :\

Now I don't expect anyone to change their core beliefs, but when shown that PART of those beliefs is incorrect you'd think they'd at least acknowledge that.....but no, most don't. Then others come in and post the same generalizations, either not having bothered to read the prior replies or (possibly) for the sake of acting purposefully dense to allow them to continue to use and hold faith in such generalizations.

Also, i'm a bit too tired...what did you mean by "to some conditional statements hinging on veracity of some key premises... "? Name an example so I don't have to google each term due to my mind being foggy right now please? :)
Sorry, looks like I'm late to the party and only managed to read the first 5 pages.

Did I read wrong, or were people really suggesting that when someone can't afford to feed themselves, they should be playing pirated video games instead???

>.<
uulav: Why you guys try to make me look the biggest criminal here, when other people in this thread have openly declare that they are downloading every game on software they feel is too expensive.
so the plot thickens , i think you should with honor and disgrace stop posting here (if you have any left) after being caught red handed and think twice next time before you make topics.
funny how you consider downloading Abandonware is not piracy , it is unless the company who made it declares it to be a freeware its not free. regardless of your morals.

i hope some one else posts the games "so called free ones you downloaded and uploaded" to finish this thread
MonstaMunch: Sorry, looks like I'm late to the party and only managed to read the first 5 pages.

Did I read wrong, or were people really suggesting that when someone can't afford to feed themselves, they should be playing pirated video games instead???

>.<
Well what better to do when you're hungry and want to take your mind off it? ;)

Also c'mon, are you suggesting people stealing food is ok but not games? (Just curious if that's what you're trying to get at here.)
GameRager: Also c'mon, are you suggesting people stealing food is ok but not games? (Just curious if that's what you're trying to get at here.)
I'm suggesting it's more justifiable, yes. People need food to survive. Sure, you can argue that they also need culture and entertainment, and you'd be right, but it's not a case of life or death, where as food is.

Though, please don't spin that out of context. I'm not saying I think it's ok for people to just go out and steal food, but if you're going to justify stealing something, that would probably be a good place to start.
GameRager: Also, i'm a bit too tired...what did you mean by "to some conditional statements hinging on veracity of some key premises... "? Name an example so I don't have to google each term due to my mind being foggy right now please? :)
As a precaution - I'll try to make something up, so people won't immediately jump at my example:
"Unicorns either exist or not. If they do, we've established that their horns would likely serve the same purpose as deer's antlers. (If they do not - this point doesn't matter)".

You have a single statement that depends on external data you do not (or, in extreme cases, CAN NOT) have. You evaluate both and reach two (assuming binary logic and it being a yes/no matter !) conclusions.
Basically: IF (statement) {conclusion_1} ELSE {conclusion_2}.
Vestin: If there's one thing I dislike more than directionless, fallacious arguing, it's smug guys implying a medium makes communication irrelevant.

How are you getting communication on the internet is irrelevant from that comic? It's not saying that, it's saying that people argue on the internet and want to prove others wrong, it doesn't say whether that is relevant or not.
Immoli: How are you getting communication on the internet is irrelevant from that comic? It's not saying that, it's saying that people argue on the internet and want to prove others wrong, it doesn't say whether that is relevant or not.
It's called "subtext". Compare "arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics".
It's a subtle line of implications derived from social context that gives this strip the meaning I assume it's supposed to have.
I'd love to be wrong...
MonstaMunch: Sorry, looks like I'm late to the party and only managed to read the first 5 pages.

>.<
Glad you mentioned it because I was worrying that I was going to get lynchmobbed for mentioning just that.

I mean, if people can't afford to feed themselves, where's the internet connection coming from? I don't recall any telecom company providing DSL internet for free.

Of course, it's also apparently difficult for some to comprehend that there are other worthwhile and low-cost pursuits beyond sitting in front of a PC. Like...going for a walk, reading, drawing, or even just watching TV.

Immoli: How are you getting communication on the internet is irrelevant from that comic? It's not saying that, it's saying that people argue on the internet and want to prove others wrong, it doesn't say whether that is relevant or not.
Bingo that was why I posted it in response to the comments about how this topic was going on for so many pages.

I don't necessarily think that online communication is any more or any less revelant then other forms of communication. Regardless, of medium people still get passionate about their point of view.

The point I was trying to make, is that there is not really any point in even bothering to try to make people stop debating, people get passionate and that is why this topic went on for so long. It was mostly in response to Darling_Jimmy's comment wondering why people were still debating this seemingly dead horse topic.
Post edited April 03, 2012 by Thunderstone