It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Data dump with the remaining 5 player PM files.

To view one, right click on it, select "Save Link As..." from the pop-up menu, and give it a file name. Make sure to set the file extension to ".doc".

Thanks for the bumps, Agent!
Attachments:
surgeon.gif (30 Kb)
flubbucket: http://static04.gog.com/upload/forum/2016/01/1717cd3e4b1306ee444e3cce38cf088dec48728c.gif

shows me an error.

Thanks Bookwyrm627, I had fun.
Bookwyrm627: Try this: right click, then "Save Link As...", and save it as a "File.doc" (replace 'File' with whatever you want to name it). Then see if you can open it.

And I'm glad you enjoyed it.
Tried that....

Dick now stuck in the computer.
Bookwyrm627: Data dump with the remaining 5 player PM files.

To view one, right click on it, select "Save Link As..." from the pop-up menu, and give it a file name. Make sure to set the file extension to ".doc".

Thanks for the bumps, Agent!
No problem. I've not got time to read over the data dump now, but I'll do it when I've got a bit of free time.
Bookwyrm627: Try this: right click, then "Save Link As...", and save it as a "File.doc" (replace 'File' with whatever you want to name it). Then see if you can open it.

And I'm glad you enjoyed it.
flubbucket: Tried that....

Have you tried turning it off and on again?
flubbucket: Tried that....

Yogsloth and vacuum cleaners, and now you and computers...
My computer is a whore.
flubbucket: My computer is a whore.
It wants the (D:).
Okay, some of my thoughts:
-One of my design goals was to allow people to quote PMs, but to provide in-game issues if they do. Everyone was a target for at least one other player (either directly or indirectly), and there were several kills running around. Also, the Politician could hijack a power for his own use.

-I tried to set things up so everyone had to get their hands dirty if they wanted to do well. I'm not sure how well this worked, considering how things played out.

-I honestly didn't expect all the Townspeople to team up with the Mercs and gang up on the assassins. I figured the townspeople would be pursuing their own goals, and maybe even hindering the mercs. The two healers, for example, did NOT want one or the other branch of assassins dead, because it actively hindered their goal.

-The mercs had some of the strongest powers, but I thought I gave them enough drawbacks to counter that. Hard to tell, when I didn't anticipate the rest of the non-assassins going after the assassins too.

-I actually thought the hammerer had one of the easier jobs. If I were to run this again, I'd probably give him 2 or 3 floating votes, one shot each. He can force a wagon that is sitting at L-2 if he likes. I would probably not make him a straight double-voter; make him make some choices.

-JMich and Flub both had their eye on the prize (points). RW did too. I think some players got caught up in the "Town versus Scum" mentality though. Oh well.

-I had a bunch of hammer-spot competition to do something with that "Hang out at L-1 for three days" thing; I didn't anticipate that L-2 would become the new hang-out.

-Originally there were going to be 3 bleeders, but one of them (randomly chosen) would start the game poisoned, and they wouldn't know who. This was one of the two roles that were cut during sign up.

-Originally there was going to be a Dare Devil role: his objective was to get enough votes to go halfway to lynch, but NOT actually get lynched. Double points for L-1, depending on the number of people in the game. This was the other role that was cut late.

-Back in early development, I had a Telepath, who would pass messages (pretty shameless ripoff of Flub's milk jug passing role), but it was going to be too much mod work, so it got cut. I also had a Scholar/Atheist role, who would be trying to remove a series of lies from the OP; too much mod judgement required, so this got the axe. The Inquisitor was going to be hunting these two roles and the Necromancer (renamed to Reanimator), but not hunting the Politician.

-Props to Yogsloth for his game, as it inspired me to try and provide a story here too. Also props to Yogsloth for doing as well as he did, considering the handicaps he had. He replaces in on Sunday, 24 hours before deadline of Day 1, has his team's action hijacked Night 1, loses his one teammate on Wednesday, and is dead by Friday because the opposing assassins figured him out while he was trying to save his buddy. He still managed to nail two mercs before going out.

-Agentcarr and AFP both put together claims that actually rather impressed me in their comprehensiveness. Neither claim really worked, but oh well. As a side note: RW noted there were no video game characters used as names. This is true, but wasn't intentional on my part (I actually had to go back and check when he pointed this out).

-I didn't expect either assassin guild to get wiped out on the same Day/Night cycle, and I especially didn't expect BOTH of them to go out that way.

-And that's it. It was a rather delicate balance in a number of areas. Some things worked, and some didn't. Hopefully you found this experiment closer to Apollo 11 than Titanic. And yes, I've been enjoying throwing that scale of comparison around. ;)
BOOM!!!!
Bookwyrm627: -Originally there were going to be 3 bleeders.... This was one of the two roles that were cut during sign up.
So you're saying the 3rd bleeder got cut? Should've handled his knives with a bit more care, eh?
Bookwyrm627: -Originally there were going to be 3 bleeders.... This was one of the two roles that were cut during sign up.
bler144: So you're saying the 3rd bleeder got cut? Should've handled his knives with a bit more care, eh?
It was a good idea, but alas, it was all in vein.
*/wrists*
Bookwyrm627: -One of my design goals was to allow people to quote PMs, but to provide in-game issues if they do. Everyone was a target for at least one other player (either directly or indirectly), and there were several kills running around. Also, the Politician could hijack a power for his own use.
I liked this, and I think it was fairly successful. It was the main reason I decided to join the game. Everyone knows how much I hate how early role-claims can break a game.

Bookwyrm627: -I honestly didn't expect all the Townspeople to team up with the Mercs and gang up on the assassins.
Really? I know this wasn't a standard game, and everyone had their own goals, but neutrals always tend to team up with Town around here (unless they are obviously seen as anti-town).

Bookwyrm627: -I had a bunch of hammer-spot competition to do something with that "Hang out at L-1 for three days" thing; I didn't anticipate that L-2 would become the new hang-out.
Around half of players had a hammer requirement for score. So, the folks who didn't need the hammer would vote early, but everyone else would wait at L-2 (a good way to narrow down roles to target, even with WIFOM factored in). Some sort of Day-chat, maybe with only a few uses per day, might have helped the teams to set one another up for a one-two punch, as well.

Bookwyrm627: -And that's it. It was a rather delicate balance in a number of areas. Some things worked, and some didn't. Hopefully you found this experiment closer to Apollo 11 than Titanic. And yes, I've been enjoying throwing that scale of comparison around. ;)
Saltiness aside, I am glad I played the game. It was interesting to see how things played out. :)
Post edited January 22, 2016 by Krypsyn
Krypsyn: I liked this, and I think it was fairly successful. It was the main reason I decided to join the game. Everyone knows how much I hate how early role-claims can break a game.
This time, it would mostly break the claimer. Come to think of it, both Agent and AFP claimed fairly early, even if it was a fake claim...

Krypsyn: Really? I know this wasn't a standard game, and everyone had their own goals, but neutrals always tend to team up with Town around here (unless they are obviously seen as anti-town).
*shrug* Half of them didn't have any incentive related to the assassin war at all, and a few would be hurt if the assassins all died. If the NKs dried up, then Trent would likely have been reanimating assassins, while Lift and Leonard couldn't get points (as demonstrated).

Krypsyn: Saltiness aside, I am glad I played the game. It was interesting to see how things played out. :)
Yay! If the players enjoyed it, I call that a win for the mods.
Krypsyn: Really? I know this wasn't a standard game, and everyone had their own goals, but neutrals always tend to team up with Town around here (unless they are obviously seen as anti-town).

Around half of players had a hammer requirement for score. So, the folks who didn't need the hammer would vote early, but everyone else would wait at L-2 (a good way to narrow down roles to target, even with WIFOM factored in). Some sort of Day-chat, maybe with only a few uses per day, might have helped the teams to set one another up for a one-two punch, as well.
1) We chatted about that a bit in the admin thread. Wyrm was thinking of it in terms of what the design required and what he was trying to encourage, not in terms of what the culture here is. I think that's a good reminder to every mod that, while it's great to have visions of what players *should do*, certain things are harder to nurture/force than others. And of course certain players will play the same role different than others.
2) The mercs actually did have day chat, and flub still couldn't get RW on when he needed him to be. It was quite funny. But I could imagine you sitting there silently hoping A_F_P would swing over to drealmer D1 as well.

On the whole, I quite liked the game. There were a few slow patches, but knowing all the moving pieces, and understanding at least half of them (j/k) it was fun to see all the movements.

In terms of props:
1) Wyrm put together a very complicated game, and on the whole it worked out well, and that despite a few early calamities that were out of his control that could've overturned the ship - the forced mod-kill, 2 subs, possibility of a 2nd mod-kill and a 3rd sub at least on the horizon. That first night in particular was incredibly busy, and a bit hairy.
2) Krypsyn really put himself out there to help keep the game going, esp. early, and did it in such a way that lots of people were more inclined to believe he was town. It was the later discussion of hammering mechanics/scoring that tipped RW off, though ironically, what you seemingly were poised to claim was more or less CSP's actual role.
3) Leonard really played a big part in the late game, even though, whether he knew it or not, he couldn't win at that point and could've just blown it off.
4) CSP did a good job with a tough task
5) RW/flub both played a solid game. It was amusing to watch RW sit on Lift as his sure thing, and then make the gut (and right) call to switch their lone vig shot to Krypsyn when the moment came.

And for a first-time player, give Hunter his due - other than slipping with an early claim (which new players often don't know is verboten around here), he played a solid, if occasionally quiet, game for a first timer. Hopefully he sticks around.