It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Redeem 17 Steam games DRM-free | Check out 300+ deals up to -90%!

Have you heard? School is (finally) back in session! And so is <span class="bold">GOG Connect</span>, in time for the 2016 GOG.com Back to School Sale. All in all, it's great games up to 90% off, new game collections and deals added every day, as well as 17 titles to grow your DRM-free library with GOG Connect.

No need for long faces - after all going back to school is a wonderful opportunity to learn new things, make new friends, and even expand your gaming horizons during these cold after-school evenings. This year's curriculum consists of 300+ deals up to 90% off, starting with Divinity: Original Sin Enhanced Edition, Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, Day of the Tentacle Remastered, Dragon Age: Origins - Ultimate Edition, Dying Light: The Following - Enhanced Edition, and more.

And hey, we did some of the homework for you! Check out our neat game collections: hand-picked selections of series and similar titles we think you'll really enjoy. Whether you grab an entire collection or otherwise, you'll still get the highest available discounts normally reserved for entire bundles only.

New games and collections will be added every day at 10 AM UTC — so check back and look out for more deals. Once added to the Sale, the deals will stick around until its end.

GOG Connect is back — connect your Steam account and add eligible games to your GOG.com library for free. The June premiere of <span class="bold">GOG Connect</span> was a resounding success and we're now happy to announce the second major batch of 17 GOG Connect titles, including:

[i]Hotline Miami
X Rebirth
Anno 1404
Dex
Shadow Warrior 2013[/i]
and more!

Just like last time, these are limited-time offers made possible by our awesome partners!

If you're looking for a place to hang out and discuss which games you picked, how much homework you've got, or the titles you Connected, make sure to stop by our <span class="bold">Facebook event</span>. All the cool kids will be there.

The Back to School Sale will last until Sunday, October 2, 9:59 PM UTC.
Post edited September 26, 2016 by maladr0Id
IAmSinistar: Nice final day. This sale surprised me with the variety on offer, plus the nice new additions. Here's my haul:

Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons
Stories: The Path of Destinies
GUN
The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC
Kona
Dex
Grim Dawn
Corpse Party
Cossacks II
Dying Light: The Following – Enhanced Edition

Plus an X Rebirth expansion and 10 Interplay games, in case they do disappear from here.
That's some sick loot!
mecharma: That's some sick loot!
I'm pretty happy with this particular foray into the dungeon myself. :)
I've been trying to get GOG Connect to work for the past few days to get the two game I own (Hotline Miami & Teslagrad). It's still giving me the high traffic warning though, with no games showing up. I don't know if it needs to resync my steam account info, or if it's a glitch or something. I've also signed out and back into GOG, to no avail.

With less than two days left, is there any way I can get these two games to show up so I can claim them?
SystemPatch: I've been trying to get GOG Connect to work for the past few days to get the two game I own (Hotline Miami & Teslagrad). It's still giving me the high traffic warning though, with no games showing up. I don't know if it needs to resync my steam account info, or if it's a glitch or something. I've also signed out and back into GOG, to no avail.
Have you tried refreshing your account by clicking the following link (as described here (#10))?:
https://www.gog.com/user/refresh

Just in case, have you consulted the GOG CONNECT FAQ?:
https://www.gog.com/connect#faq

Are your Steam Privacy Settings & Profile Status set to public (#2)?
Post edited October 01, 2016 by Lemon_Curry
SystemPatch: I've been trying to get GOG Connect to work for the past few days to get the two game I own (Hotline Miami & Teslagrad). It's still giving me the high traffic warning though, with no games showing up. I don't know if it needs to resync my steam account info, or if it's a glitch or something. I've also signed out and back into GOG, to no avail.
Lemon_Curry: Have you tried refreshing your account by clicking the following link (as described here (#10))?:
https://www.gog.com/user/refresh

Just in case, have you consulted the GOG CONNECT FAQ?:
https://www.gog.com/connect#faq

Are your Steam Privacy Settings & Profile Status set to public (#2)?
I did the refresh, but no change, it seems.

My steam profile's public as it's always been. One thing I did notice is that for the steam account, it still has my previous steam avatar from when I first linked it, since which I've changed it. That might mean my info isn't syncing, but even then I've owned both games since before GOG Connect was started.
SystemPatch: I did the refresh, but no change, it seems.

My steam profile's public as it's always been. One thing I did notice is that for the steam account, it still has my previous steam avatar from when I first linked it, since which I've changed it. That might mean my info isn't syncing, but even then I've owned both games since before GOG Connect was started.
Try resync'ing Connect first, then wait a while then click on this link https://www.gog.com/account/refresh as I suggested it to some people over the last few days and they did it and it worked for them. No guarantees, but it can't hurt to try. Note the URL is different than listed in the GOG FAQ. Not sure if they're both equivalent or not, but this is the one normally passed around in the forums etc.
[Cross-post from the other sale thread:]
PSA: There are a bunch discounted-but-unpromoted DLCs for/alternate editions of a few of the games featured on the front page, as well as a handful of unrelated unannounced promos (and note that the two posts just before my linked post also point out Firewatch's and the Bit.Trip Runner games' being discounted, as well).
Post edited October 01, 2016 by HunchBluntley
skeletonbow: I'm humming and hawing in contemplation of Anno 1503, but I've never really played or seen any of the Anno games before other than the screenies and trailers. Would anyone recommend it, and could you compare it with other games of the genre? I'm fond of the Tropico games, Pharoah+Cleopatra, etc. and this looks of a similar vein.
It's certainly different than those (though I have not yet played any of the Tropico games), but it's similar to Pharaoh, Caesar and so on in that you build cities and attempt to please your citizens by providing them with all they need. Compared to these games it is more straightforward and probably somewhat easier because you always know exactly what your people want and there are no good or bad influences from surrounding buildings... I always thought in the city builder games you will get much more realistic cities with different districts of varying wealth and it feels more like they are inhabited by real people with actual needs. In the Anno games you usually end up with one large city covering an entire island, solely inhabited by Aristocrats. Although I once deliberately tried building a "realistic" city and while the result was certainly nice to look at it was not particularly efficient gameplay-wise. Anyway, once you get the hang of what to build when and where, you almost can't go wrong any more.

Don't get me wrong, I have loved the Anno games since the release of the first one (which is 1602 despite 1503 having a lower year in its title) and I have played them very much, but when it comes to complexity and realism in terms of city building, they can't compete with the Caesar/Pharaoh/etc. series. Though if you like city building there is still a great chance you will also like them. Of the three I have played (1602, 1503, and 1701), 1503 is the most complex one and the one where it is most difficult to get a city going at first. So as you are familiar with the above-mentioned complex city builder games, you might actually like that one the most. I think it is a more complex and challenging game than the first one, whereas 1701 feels more like a 3D remake of 1602 to me (although there still are new features and changes, but it is more similar to 1602 than to 1503). 1503 has the most buildings, the biggest and most diverse islands, the most ship types and military units (I think), the most complex economics... also it has beautiful 2D graphics and great music (though I actually still prefer 1602 when it comes to music - but you can easily add new music to the game if I remember correctly). I do love all the Anno games I have played so far, but I would recommend 1503 most for someone who has played the city builder games.
Post edited October 01, 2016 by Pherim
Pherim: It's certainly different than those (though I have not yet played any of the Tropico games), but it's similar to Pharaoh, Caesar and so on in that you build cities and attempt to please your citizens by providing them with all they need. Compared to these games it is more

<snip>

comes to music - but you can easily add new music to the game if I remember correctly). I do love all the Anno games I have played so far, but I would recommend 1503 most for someone who has played the city builder games.
Awesome, thanks for such a detailed writeup! That definitely tilts me more in the direction of picking it up, although I think I may wait until the last day of the sale to make any additional purchases. It does sound like my type of game, as does the rest of the series from what you've said.
skeletonbow: Not sure but Apogee might own that nowadays, or whoever owns Apogee.
In the store page it says "Flat Rock Software" whoever they might be, and it's their only title. I would have grabbed this one. I never liked Wolfstein 3D, Catacomb was a lot more fun for me.

[url=]https://www.gog.com/game/catacombs_pack[/url]
Post edited October 01, 2016 by Cecco
Cecco: In the store page it says "Flat Rock Software" whoever they might be, and it's their only title. I would have grabbed this one. I never liked Wolfstein 3D, Catacomb was a lot more fun for me.

[url=]https://www.gog.com/game/catacombs_pack[/url]
I think it was originally a Softdisk game they did if I'm not mistaken. Presumably it's bumped around since then.

Ah yes... I just checked Wikipedia and it says it was a Softdisk game under the "Gamer's Edge" label.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catacomb_3-D
omega64: Brothers is short but sweet.
Do not play it if you don't have a controller. If you do you're in for a ride.
Also given the wine (Linux) gold compatibility, I took it in the end, and I plan to move it all the way in front of the backlog and try it soon :)

skeletonbow: I think it was originally a Softdisk game they did if I'm not mistaken. Presumably it's bumped around since then.

Ah yes... I just checked Wikipedia and it says it was a Softdisk game under the "Gamer's Edge" label.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catacomb_3-D
Yep, that's why it says "id Software, Softdisk Publishing". It was the Flat Rock S. that puzzled me and I found this:
"IP Rights and ownership of the complete Catacomb Series are now available from Flat Rock Software. If interested in owning and developing these classics, please contact richard@flatrocksoft.com"
http://www.flatrocksoft.com/
So...who's buying the IP for a new Catacomb game? :)
Post edited October 01, 2016 by Cecco
Cecco: Also given the wine (Linux) gold compatibility, I took it in the end, and I plan to move it all the way in front of the backlog and try it soon :)

Yep, that's why it says "id Software, Softdisk Publishing". It was the Flat Rock S. that puzzled me and I found this:
"IP Rights and ownership of the complete Catacomb Series are now available from Flat Rock Software. If interested in owning and developing these classics, please contact richard@flatrocksoft.com"
http://www.flatrocksoft.com/
So...who's buying the IP for a new Catacomb game? :)
Those are essentially the 1st generation of games that use a raycasting engine. They would be using Mode-X graphics likely and DOS real mode segmented memory model so the source code would be rather useless to port etc. these days IMHO. :)

Honestly, if I were a game developer wanting to create a new game with a retro look/feel like those old classics I would write my own ray-casting engine from scratch than try to port old horrendous DOS spaghetti code. :) I know as I've written my own ray-caster back in the 90s (for fun, and not a full game), and also spent time working with id's Wolfenstein 3D source code dump. The Wolf code was essentially a much newer incarnation of what would have originally been the Catacomb code, and it is totally pure horrid spaghetti itself, so I can only imagine the code that preceded it was atrocious as well LOL

If someone did want to do an actual modern release of those old games on new platforms though, I'd either go with taking the original game assets and writing all entirely new code, or by using a DOSbox emulation on the new platform possibly with CPU level emulation as well. But eww... :)

Some things should perhaps just stay classics as-is methinks. :)

(Incidentally, the source code for DOOM, DOOM2, Quake was significantly much higher quality and more well organized and professional, whereas Wolfie and earlier as amazing as they were in feat, were amateur quality code development, which the developers themselves recognize and admit to. :oP )
Post edited October 01, 2016 by skeletonbow
I have a disk version of Codename Panzers: Phase One. In that version the camera controls are very limited. You cannot change the camera angle to a nearly top-down view or a horizontal view. The angle is limited to a range of about 40 to 70 degree. What's even worse is the zoom range. You barely can zoom out so that you only can view a very small part of the battlefield (about 3 houses in a row at maximum zoom).

Has the GOG version of the game the same restrictions for the camera control or allows it to change the camera angle in a wider range and let you zoom out more? Does Codename Panzers: Phase Two also have these camera restrictions?
Post edited October 01, 2016 by eiii
skeletonbow: Try resync'ing Connect first, then wait a while then click on this link https://www.gog.com/account/refresh as I suggested it to some people over the last few days and they did it and it worked for them. No guarantees, but it can't hurt to try. Note the URL is different than listed in the GOG FAQ. Not sure if they're both equivalent or not, but this is the one normally passed around in the forums etc.
Yeah, that's a really good question but thanks for providing the other account refresh link skeletonbow. I must admit the one I posted did strike me as being different than the one Judas keeps mentioning.
Post edited October 01, 2016 by Lemon_Curry