It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

CptFandango: That reminds me of returns policies over here. The sale of goods act 1979 makes most of them illegal. For most electrical goods if they don't last five years then they are not fit for purpose and are entitled to a refund or repair. But shops say they have a 1 year manufacturers guarantee and after that your screwed if you don't buy the extended warranty. I exchanged a four year old graphics card this way.
javier0889: I only care about a physical good's guarantee when it's something really expensive. But programmed obsolence makes a 4-year-long guarantee quite useless when it comes to computers or stuff like that. And it's very likely that you will buy a new graphics card before that guarantee is over.
Its the law that makes a 5 year guarantee worthless over here. Say your graphics card stops working in just under five years you can take it to the shop and they will have to offer you something equivalent. I took back a geforce 8800gs after four years and they said to me "its not covered after a year sorry there is nothing we can do" so I mentioned the sale of goods act 1979, then he disappears and a manager comes out and offered me a 570.

Also for expensive items like a TV for example if you have house insurance not only does the law cover you for breakdowns but the house insurance covers you for accidental so there is absolutely no reason to buy extended guarantees on most electrical goods in this country.

Edit: lots of horrible spelling mistakes, I think I got most of em
Post edited August 06, 2014 by CptFandango
javier0889: How "legal" is an EULA?
End User License Agreement sounds rather informal. And most of the times it's just something like "if you fuck with us we'll fuck you ". However, in games translated to spanish EULA is translated to "Contrato de Licencia de Usuario Final", which, literally, means End User License Contract.
Maybe it's just me, but this little detail has always bugged me.
It's just some pseudo-legal talk to impress and intimidate customers. Any judge anywhere can overturn that BS if the terms are unreasonable or badly stated, obfuscated, modifiable, etc. You also can't agree to a condition that goes against laws and your rights, so it would be void. It would be like a store owner putting a sign stating that he's allowed to steal from customers. Yeah, no.

As more and more of these shady practices make life worse for customers, I'm actually glad that some people are just not paying and refusing to be abused. I'm too honest for that, but others can do as they please. You can't feel sorry for crooks.
javier0889: I only care about a physical good's guarantee when it's something really expensive. But programmed obsolence makes a 4-year-long guarantee quite useless when it comes to computers or stuff like that. And it's very likely that you will buy a new graphics card before that guarantee is over.
CptFandango: Its the law that makes a 5 year guarantee worthless over here. Say your graphics card stops working in just under five years you can take it to the shop and they will have to offer you something equivalent. I took back a geforce 8800gs after four years and they said to me "its not covered after a year sorry there is nothing we can do" so I mentioned the sale of goods act 1979, then he disappears and a manager comes out and offered me a 570.

Also for expensive items like a TV for example if you have house insurance not only does the law cover you for breakdowns but the house insurance covers you for accidental so there is absolutely no reason to buy extended guarantees on most electrical goods in this country.

Edit: lots of horrible spelling mistakes, I think I got most of em
I think in Canada it's "reasonable life of the item", but you have to go through the trouble of fighting it.
Post edited August 06, 2014 by realkman666
Getcomposted: Noooooooooooooo!
Just read the EULa before you do anything!
This link and this link!

I really want Dead Space 2, but I'll wait for Steam to have a sale, because I can ignore Origin as long as I don't go multi-player.
CptFandango: These articles are from a couple of years ago, have they not made the spying optional on install or removed them since?
Yes, that spy thing wasn't even intentional, actually and was removed soon in later updates. And it came quite a way since then.
As much as EA deserves to be critisized, one should stay reasonable.
If you use Steam Client, you are hard pressed for arguments against Origin Client, technically, now.

And here is amore recent article on Origin:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/columns/experienced-points/12029-Has-EAs-Origin-Service-Improved-Any-Over-the-Last-Two-Years
Post edited August 06, 2014 by dyscode
Getcomposted: Hmmm, a great recommendation! The scales are tipping slightly. :) Anyone else want to chime in as to why I should get Dawn of War? And if I did, should I go for the GotY for £2.49, the Gold Edition for £4.99 or the Master Collection with GotY and the 3 expansions for £7.49?
Grargar: Holy crap! Dawn of War and the 3 expansions for £7.49? The Platinum costs €2.49 here!
Edit: Oh, I see. The GotY version is misleading and doesn't contain any expansion packs, while the Platinum contains only the GotY and the Dark Crusade expansion pack.
You still see the platinum? I looked when the sale started and couldn't find it for the life of me. I thought they replaced it with that Master collection thing.

The hell, if I use the DE store I see it but it's not there in the Dutch store anymore.
Post edited August 06, 2014 by Pheace
Getcomposted: Yeah, people are focusing on EA, because they've made more highly visible and publicized faux pas than uPlay or Steam, but like BioWare said, DRM isn't the way. I just wish the more games companies would start getting the message.
Having yet another form of DRM on your system is, IMO, another nail in the coffin.
realkman666: Actually, Uplay used to open a backdoor in your browser that made you vulnerable and still to this day downloads and installs itself without telling you under certain circumstances. Easily the worst.
This has been patched out according to this:
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/07/30/ubisoft-respond-to-uplay-security-drama/

The one thing you must do is not have any browser open while installing uPlay.

PS: not that some one thinks I defend uPlay or Orign or Steam, which I don't. But some issues mentioned here have moved ahead.
Post edited August 06, 2014 by dyscode
realkman666: Actually, Uplay used to open a backdoor in your browser that made you vulnerable and still to this day downloads and installs itself without telling you under certain circumstances. Easily the worst.
dyscode: This has been patched out according to this:
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/07/30/ubisoft-respond-to-uplay-security-drama/

PS: not that some one thinks I defend uPlay or Orign or Steam, which I don't. But some issues mentioned here have moved ahead.
"Uplay used to open a backdoor"

;)
dyscode: This has been patched out according to this:

realkman666: "Uplay used to open a backdoor"

;)
well, that obviously moved overhead of me :)
Pheace: You still see the platinum? I looked when the sale started and couldn't find it for the life of me. I thought they replaced it with that Master collection thing.

The hell, if I use the DE store I see it but it's not there in the Dutch store anymore.
Seems to have gone the way of the dodo for me too. Anyway...

ShinyLoot's 101 Days of Summer Daily Deals: Day 70

-3 Stars of Destiny -80%/3.00 (DRM-Free+Steam Key)
-Bernie Needs Love (beta) -80%/$1.00 (DRM-Free+Desura Key)
-Gas Guzzlers: Combat Carnage -80%/$4.00 (DRM-Free+Desura Key)
-Hero's Tale Enhanced Edition -75%/$0.75 (DRM-Free)
-Rexzilla -80%/$1.00 (DRM-Free)
-The Lady -67%/$0.99 (DRM-Free)
Post edited August 07, 2014 by Grargar
Have a listen to the $6 album in the IndieRoyale Mixer 7 bundle.
It's quite good if you like synth music.
Also Black Shadows (Desura) has been added.
Post edited August 07, 2014 by Getcomposted
You can grab Walking Dead Season 2+Skullgirls: Encore for 6.28€ subscribing one month of IGN Prime.
If you are from US, then it will cost you around 5€ because you don't need to pay taxes.
After you subscribed, please remember to cancel your subscription from IGN Prime page, so IGN won't charge you an additional month then your sub will expire.
Pheace: You still see the platinum? I looked when the sale started and couldn't find it for the life of me. I thought they replaced it with that Master collection thing.

Grargar: Seems to have gone the way of the dodo for me too. Anyway...

ShinyLoot's 101 Days of Summer Daily Deals: Day 70

-3 Stars of Destiny -80%/3.00 (DRM-Free+Steam Key)
-Bernie Needs Love (beta) -80%/$1.00 (DRM-Free+Desura Key)
-Gas Guzzlers: Combat Carnage -80%/$4.00 (DRM-Free+Desura Key)
-Hero's Tale Enhanced Edition -75%/$0.75 (DRM-Free)
-Rexzilla -80%/$1.00 (DRM-Free)
-The Lady -67%/$0.99 (DRM-Free)
Thanks for this. Any views on Hero's Tale (grammatically incorrect!) and/or 3 Stars of Destiny? There's very little online.

Ideally I'd like to know if either or both are casual, fun, pretty easy and of course decent.
pigdog: Hero's Tale (grammatically incorrect!)
What's grammatically incorrect about the title? It's the tale of a hero, thus Hero's Tale, right? Or am I missing something?

No idea about the game, purely a grammar question.
pigdog: Hero's Tale (grammatically incorrect!)
JMich: What's grammatically incorrect about the title? It's the tale of a hero, thus Hero's Tale, right? Or am I missing something?

No idea about the game, purely a grammar question.
I thought it should be Heroes? Either way, I don't know what I was thinking.....I hate online grammar police :S
GamersGate Deals

[url=http://www.gamersgate.com/games?filter=publisher:2141&prio=topsellers&state=available]Aldorlea Games Daily Deal -75%[/url]. All 13 games contain SecuROM.

[url=http://www.gamersgate.com/games?filter=publisher:2141&prio=topsellers&state=available]Risen Weekend Deal[/url]

Risen (DRM-Free) -80%/€1.99
Risen 2: Dark Waters (Steam) -80%/€3.99
Risen 2: Dark Waters Collection (Steam) -80%/€6.00
Risen Franchise Pack (Steam) -80%/€8.00

Warlock Weekend Deal. Everything is Steam-only.

Grand Theft Auto Weekend Deal. Everything is Steam-only.
pigdog: I thought it should be Heroes? Either way, I don't know what I was thinking.....I hate online grammar police :S
No worries, as I said, I was curious in case there was a grammar rule I wasn't familiar with. What I recall with the possessive s is that you use 's if the previous word doesn't end in s (like hero's quest), and use ' only if it does (heroes' quest). I think there are a few cases when you use 's even if the previous word ends with an s, but mostly for names from what I recall (Ulysses's quest).
And it is quite possible that the game's tale isn't that of one hero, but multiple, thus making the game grammatically incorrect ;)

Either way, thank you for replying, and I do hope someone can answer your questions :)