It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

hucklebarry: Its not. But I'm not gonna keep up the merry go round :p A simple google search can provide the definition for you.... or common sense on what the words "digital rights management" means.
The rights management of a digital product, like games or software, which actually does include the digital product on CD/DVD as well :)
hucklebarry: Its not. But I'm not gonna keep up the merry go round :p A simple google search can provide the definition for you.... or common sense on what the words "digital rights management" means.
Pheace: The rights management of a digital product, like games or software, which actually does include the digital product on CD/DVD as well :)
it doesn't. with over 400 games in my collection I don't have a single CD that manages rights. Not one. If you have one, its software ON the CD that is managing rights and not the CD itself. DRM means DRM... not sure how this is confusing.
Pheace: The rights management of a digital product, like games or software, which actually does include the digital product on CD/DVD as well :)
No company is managing your right to access a disc. This stupud argument is tiring... DVDs do not have DRM, no one ever thought of such a thing when they were introduced. DRM means the company manages your access after the sale, a disc check is not that. A disc check is copy protection.
StingingVelvet: No company is managing your right to access a disc. This stupud argument is tiring... DVDs do not have DRM, no one ever thought of such a thing when they were introduced. DRM means the company manages your access after the sale, a disc check is not that. A disc check is copy protection.
I just think that the aspect of cds/dvds having drm is that we don't explicitly have the ability to make backups to the game. In many cases it says "DO NOT MAKE COPIES OF THIS DISK". In this way I feel that I am only entitled to using this one tangible copy of the game. Yes I can make backup isos. Is it legal? Not exactly.
Post edited July 11, 2012 by angrypole
StingingVelvet: No company is managing your right to access a disc. This stupud argument is tiring... DVDs do not have DRM, no one ever thought of such a thing when they were introduced. DRM means the company manages your access after the sale, a disc check is not that. A disc check is copy protection.
Actually they all do it by having an EULA before you install your software. No body actually notices this because there's no policeman with a baton behind you checking how you use your piece of software.
This gives you an illusion of freedom, especially compared with DD where companies can actually actively enforce that EULA.

DRM is more than just a fancy term for copy protection schemes like Securom or Starforce.
Post edited July 11, 2012 by DodoGeo
DodoGeo: Actually they all do it by having an EULA before you install your software. No body actually notices this because there's no policeman with a baton behind you checking how you use your piece of software.
This gives you an illusion of freedom, especially compared with DD where companies can actually actively enforce that EULA.

DRM is more than just a fancy term for copy protection schemes like Securom or Starforce.
I know that, I'm not ignorant, but they had no methodology to enforce those EULAs before DRM existed, which is a way for them to manage access after the sale. Disc checks do not manage access after the sale in that same way, it's a very different thing.
New deal from Amazon:

Sniper Elite V2 - $14.99 (70% off) - Steam Redeemable
Hacker Evolution free on Greenman

Now all they need is Gish and Nuclear Dawn and they'd have the Asshole Bundle.
DodoGeo: Actually they all do it by having an EULA before you install your software. No body actually notices this because there's no policeman with a baton behind you checking how you use your piece of software.

This means when the sporting event airs on TV... it has DRM in it because it says not to reproduce it? This very website contains DRM as you need the internet and a browser of some sort to access it. Nintendo cartridges had DRM because you needed the cartridges... for that matter, physical books have DRM because you need the book to be able to read it... really?

hucklebarry: This means when the sporting event airs on TV... it has DRM in it because it says not to reproduce it? This very website contains DRM as you need the internet and a browser of some sort to access it. Nintendo cartridges had DRM because you needed the cartridges... for that matter, physical books have DRM because you need the book to be able to read it... really?
To some people, any form of rights management is digital, whether it's analogue, instruction booklet checks, or a spinwheel. I can appreciate you're trying to differentiate between rights management and digital rights management, but saying the same thing over and over isn't helping anyone, just like the people on the opposite side of the fence saying every form of copy protection is digital isn't helping anything.

Can we please get back to game sales and you can take it to PM's? Pretty please?
Please let's get back to deals.

Splinter Cell Conviction (PC DVD) - £0.99 from the UK Amazon
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Splinter-Cell-Conviction-PC-DVD/dp/B0050B0RKW/
Revisor: Please let's get back to deals.

Splinter Cell Conviction (PC DVD) - £0.99 from the UK Amazon
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Splinter-Cell-Conviction-PC-DVD/dp/B0050B0RKW/
Including P+P the lowest price is £3.10
Post edited July 11, 2012 by gameon
carnival73: Hacker Evolution free on Greenman

Now all they need is Gish and Nuclear Dawn and they'd have the Asshole Bundle.
... eh?
DVD is protected by CSS (Content Scrambling System), which is encryption. You are correct in that it's not DRM as no one can retroactively take your right to watch it away. CSS was always intended to force you to watch it only on licensed players.
ajsultan: New deal from Amazon:

Sniper Elite V2 - $14.99 (70% off) - Steam Redeemable
70% OFF already?? Do you think it would still go cheaper in the upcoming Steam sale?