It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Pookina: This is all nice and dandy, until I'm subject to the rule of Don't Edit Your Posts™️, then I'm kinda screwed.
Well you ARE the game mod....not like you're gonna modkill yer own character. o.0 ;)

Pookina: Also I should Chex out Chex Quest sometime.
Just a suggestion: I'd play the originals first

They work in any(afaik) doom port/etc, so all you need are the game files and one of those apps & you're all set. :)
LASER97: Regardless, this would have been better handled over private message rather than shaming him in public.
Nobody should feel ashamed - I'm trusting in our ability to voice our opinions publicly without anybody being victimised or belittled. I'm proud that we can have a difficult conversation like this as a community.
First off a preface...the below might come off as uncaring/etc to some, but that is not my intent. I ask all who read it to read for context and my intent before jumping to conclusions and whatnot...that said:
===========================================

JoeSapphire: 2 - violence against women and sexual violence is a common injustice across the globe, and one that is often ignored, or seen as normal.
It is a common injustice...the actual acts, that is....not some crude yet silly jokes in a mafia game(which is what they appeared to be, to me).

Imo making such "to do"(even if someone feels justified in doing so) over such things(anything on a similar level, in general) while actual bad actions happen worldwide is slightly "offensive" to those who suffer the actual acts IRL**.

Also imo if one wants to get offended by such they should get offended by said acts and work on those issues(if they can) more than some flavor text(however distasteful one finds it) in a forum game.

(**=That and also all in this post is not meant to be a dig against anyone ITT or anyone else specifically)

JoeSapphire: As an isolated incident, this behaviour between two equal adults isn't necessarily problematic, but in the context of an ongoing trend of violence and disrespect for women and alongside the common perception that a woman doesn't have ownership of her own body, then it becomes an image that should not go unchallenged.
Tbh I think people/mods should at most chastise/discourage those making said jokes(if it goes too far for too long or seems to be heading that way), but other than that I think not much else should be required(if it only get to that level of offense).

JoeSapphire: ^ This is my personal response. I'm not speaking on behalf anyone else. I've struggled a lot to put this into words and I'm not very satisfied with what I've got, but I think it goes some way to identifying an issue. Sorry for the sort of rambling approach.
You seemed to write from the heart and said your thoughts well, imo.
Post edited June 05, 2020 by GameRager
JoeSapphire: Nobody should feel ashamed - I'm trusting in our ability to voice our opinions publicly without anybody being victimised or belittled.
This.

As for me(if I may be open here): I would rather people be as civil(in general) as possible and if someone still finds something offensive I would hope they can ignore it if possible(or work out a solution with the person that offended them via PM if possible) rather than them quitting a discussion(or forum game) or similar.

JoeSapphire: I'm proud that we can have a difficult conversation like this as a community.
Agreed.

(Also since we're having an open conversation & letting everything out, and people are willing to be considerate and open minded: I felt a small bit offended & marginalized earlier when it seemed a few here took what I said to mean I wanted all sorts of crazy topics in game, or that I might've possibly been alluding that I didn't care about other's feelings re: mafia games.

This is not to say I want an apology or anything like that, but I wish people would read for context and intent before posting replies on such things.)
Self-centric, self-victimizing, self-imposed ban appart, the key points in that post are bull.

The most troubling point is the lack of understanding of the nature of the (fictional) acts depicted. This is what happens when sexual aggression and gender violence are normalized. (1)

Is it that difficult to admit a mistake, then say "OK, I see it now, it will not happen again", then move on?

In all the previous discussion, names had not been given. The talk was focused on how to deal with a similar situation in the future, was it to happen again. No one was being pointed at. (2)

Having fun together while behaving in a cordial manner with each. Why making it so difficult?

Seriously, why??

(1) If a third party is really interested, we can discuss about the nature of the crimes involved and the penalties that might befall the fictional character that did the deed, if that happened in the real world. We are talking about ripping the clothes of women without their consent, humilliating them and beating them against their will. We can discuss why dismissing it as a "joke" is seriously bad in several ways. If you really want to go there.

(2) Joe's post can be understood as an invitation to acknowledge and reflect on what had happened, and to participate constructively. Well, he tried. Who knows. Something positive might come out of it yet.
Cadaver747: snip
Please don't feel that you need to banish yourself from mafia or from the forums, or that that is what we want. We know you aren't dumb, and I am sure that I can safely speak for all of us when i say that we never intended to imply that you were.
When your month-long hiatus is over, I hope to see you again.
Until then, be well, be safe, and may God bless you and all the rest of us. (there is no sarcasm at all in any of this)

Without pointing fingers, let us all forgive any slights (real or imagined) and put this unpleasant topic behind us as a learning experience and collectively decide to neither mention it nor do similar again.
Post edited June 06, 2020 by Microfish_1
First off, sorry Carradice if I came off as uncaring or that I didn't support any of your ideas/didn't want civility and such in these games with all I have said so far....that said a "short" reply than I am done with this topic(so we can put it behind us and focus on the games):

============================================
Carradice: The most troubling point is the lack of understanding of the nature of the (fictional) acts depicted. This is what happens when sexual aggression and gender violence are normalized. (1)
If I may be open here: tbh i'd rather have people making such crude jokes online and IRL than the actual acts(and i'm guessing you and everyone else feels the same).

Carradice: (Also Is it that difficult to admit a mistake, then say "OK, I see it now, it will not happen again", then move on?
Just musing: Maybe he(for some reason) doesn't see it as that big a deal or a mistake?

(This bit ties into the reply to the next bit right below this)

Carradice: Having fun together while behaving in a cordial manner with each. Why making it so difficult?

Seriously, why??
No one is trying to(afaik).....some have a different moral compass & stances on the matter, is all(of course this is not to say any one person's moral compass & stances are necessarily better or worse than someone else's)....what you might find offensive others might not(and vice versa).

In this case people(like myself) are not uncaring towards such(if I came off as such I apologize), we just have different(though not necessarily bad or wrong) moral compasses than others(such as yourself and some others here) & also wish to have our voices heard....same as yourself.
-------------------------

Also an aside: I am a firm believer that people should be moral if and when they choose(for the most part, with some exceptions), and think people should refrain(in general IRL and online) from "imposing" too much of their own morality on anyone else**(with some rare exceptions when needed).

(**=The above is not a dig on you or anyone else, and if anyone felt it was I apologize for that. Also despite how my replies might've sounded I am in agreement with several of your suggestions & also agree some decorum in such games/other situations is a good thing for all, and am all for such)
Post edited June 06, 2020 by GameRager
I saw Joe's post and let me say a couple of points. #66 was a weird game. We all played as characters in some restaurant in which people getting murdered was a daily occurrence, not exactly a place of decency or whatever. So I figured there wasn't much of a problem playing the role of a lady obsessed with herself and obviously her body. And I think others like Cadaver thought the same.

So I read his "threat" as something playful and went along with it. Didn't think of it much other than "huh so you really can't wait to find out huh." Didn't think partaking in the little joke would've made others uncomfortable - which wasn't my intention. That said, I don't think Joe's point 1 is fair to Cadaver. He has played only two games with me: one in which I was Jac- HERE'S JOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHNY

Ahem, sorry. So basically one where we were literally being murdered and then dismembered and the mood wouldn't have allowed for it, and the other a den of crime and indecency. As for the trend of violence against women, I agree that it's a worrying trend that ought be gone (alongside all other types of violence, against any and all demographics), but I don't think this incident is one that would...normalize that behavior, so to say? It's good that it's being called out here, that's how you stop it from being normalized in the first place, but I don't think a couple of randos roleplaying fishy characters in a forum game that rarely gets more than 20 people looking is a good start. People actually serious about women being inferior to men on social media where thoughts spread faster than you blink is a great start, and even better if you go up to the leagues of important figures such as local lawmakers, senators, presidents, what have you.
Pookina: It's good that it's being called out here, that's how you stop it from being normalized in the first place, but I don't think a couple of randos roleplaying fishy characters in a forum game that rarely gets more than 20 people looking is a good start. People actually serious about women being inferior to men on social media where thoughts spread faster than you blink is a great start, and even better if you go up to the leagues of important figures such as local lawmakers, senators, presidents, what have you.
Agreed and well said(the entire post, not just this bit).
JoeSapphire: Nobody should feel ashamed - I'm trusting in our ability to voice our opinions publicly without anybody being victimised or belittled. I'm proud that we can have a difficult conversation like this as a community.
I would feel ashamed too. There are serious negative implications that having this "conversation" publicly invites. Sending him a private message that you were uncomfortable would have been just as effective, and probably not driven him away.
LASER97: I would feel ashamed too. There are serious negative implications that having this "conversation" publicly invites. Sending him a private message that you were uncomfortable would have been just as effective, and probably not driven him away.
Tbh I don't think cadaver was serious about leaving(as his name is still there in the list & I believe he hasn't yet asked to be subbed out of the upcoming game).

That said, I agree mods should handle any offensive posts on a case by case basis as they have been doing effectively so far(i.e. if someone has an issue they PM the mod and work it out between them and the mod and the player they have an issue with).

That plus content warnings for the game(of what the mod will include in the game) should work well and be good enough, imo.
After finishing up back-to-back 60 player and 40 player games

(I was a wolf in both)

(We won both)

I'm a little burned out

can put me as a sub

but fair warning

I might smack somebody's ass

if I feel so inclined
yogsloth: After finishing up back-to-back 60 player and 40 player games

(I was a wolf in both)

(We won both)

I'm a little burned out

can put me as a sub

but fair warning

I might smack somebody's ass

if I feel so inclined
Done!
yogsloth: After finishing up back-to-back 60 player and 40 player games

(I was a wolf in both)

(We won both)

I'm a little burned out

can put me as a sub
Well if we ever need a sub and you sub in, I bet it'll be akin to a vacation compared to those games.
https://www.gog.com/forum/general/mamlaka_al_shams_come_join_us_and_play/page1
Reminder that the new game still has the sign ups open!