It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

drealmer7: Yeah, I'm mostly just writing flavor right now, and with the idea that I'm going to run it at least once in flesh-world before trying to bring it here, I hope.

I think I'll wait until I've played at least 3 forum games before even attempting to moderate one.
Well, the current sign-up list is 8-10 deep, so there's quite a built-in delay before actually running a game even if you do start writing today.

Others may disagree, but while flavor is entertaining, setup/balance are what make the game run. I'd just be a bit careful of writing 20 pages of flavor in advance only to discover that the flavor doesn't fit the ultimate mechanics. Even the flavor/mechanic I had as an initial core concept (mostly to address the "D1 problem") had to be abandoned when it didn't fit the roles and mechanics that ultimately emerged.

Unless you just enjoy writing/rewriting flavor, in which case, go nuts with just writing story now, and then try to flush out a game to fit the story later :)
bler144: Unless you just enjoy writing/rewriting flavor, in which case, go nuts with just writing story now, and then try to flush out a game to fit the story later :)
To be fair, that's what I did in #29. :)
yogsloth: To be fair, that's what I did in #29. :)
Lol. Why am I not surprised? ;)
bler144: boop
Yeah, I'm definitely not sacrificing balance and gameplay for flavor. I'm writing it with multiple paths and scenario possibilities in mind and with the awareness that I'll have to make small->large adjustments based on how the play goes. Most of what I have written so far (oh, I started yesterday, BTW, with actual pen-to-paper, after several days of brainstorming) are death scenes and wake-up to the day text. Though I do have some character-specific things written too.

I'm also working on some mechanics that aren't usual (I'm so excited about 1 of them that I came up with that I want to share, buuut, that'd probably be detrimental to the game), because with all the pros in the games, I want to give them something different to contend with. Don't worry, I'm pretty smart, and I'll have it all worked out before even signing up to host.
Bookwyrm627: Wrong on so many levels. Its adaslowyrm.
:)

I've got various ideas of my own for games, though I find it difficult to balance my ludicrous ideas...
Bookwyrm627: Wrong on so many levels. Its adaslowyrm.
as opposed to adafastworm
drealmer7: I'm also working on some mechanics that aren't usual (I'm so excited about 1 of them that I came up with that I want to share, buuut, that'd probably be detrimental to the game), because with all the pros in the games, I want to give them something different to contend with. Don't worry, I'm pretty smart, and I'll have it all worked out before even signing up to host.
You could consider taking on a vet as a balance advisor at some point, but yes, I wouldn't share your mechanic with the group unless you want players knowing the mechanic in advance to be part of the balance. And it certainly can be if done carefully.

As for having it all worked out before you sign up, I wouldn't recommend that either. Again, there are already 8+ names in line ahead of you, and most games take about a month of calendar time. While some may bow out of step back in line when their turn comes up, it's a safe bet it's a minimum of 3-5 months, and possibly twice that, before your name would come.

But I would probably wait and sign up after 1-2 full games, and not key on when your game is actually polished and "complete," as it will sit in the closet for quite a while if you do it that way, and subsequent games others run may change what you want to do.
I highly recommend any first-time mod take on an assistant mod.

It's invaluable to have a 2nd set of eyes to look over everything and comment on balance.

I also recommend being an assistant yourself prior to being a primary moderator.
yogsloth: I highly recommend any first-time mod take on an assistant mod.

It's invaluable to have a 2nd set of eyes to look over everything and comment on balance.

I also recommend being an assistant yourself prior to being a primary moderator.
Adalia, have you modded before, by any chance? >.>
Thanks for the advice!!! Definitely.

I'm pretty patient, so, no rush for me to sign up.

However, I would definitely like a volunteer to run ideas by that possibly won't want to sign up to play my hosted game so I can talk about the mechanics with them, even starting now.

I haven't looked at past games yet (I like how/am comfortable with I'm going about my noobness, though I'll definitely read more after the current game), are 15-20+ players with much frequency or are most games in the 10-15 range?
My next game, which I am not even sure I feel like running, would be a minimalist game. Just roles (identically plated) and a set up. No flavor. Just the pertinent facts in each moderator post.

It would be amazingly easy to run, obviously, and should have far fewer PM quoting issues (since it would only be the role), but I am not sure how interesting it would be to players.

Edit: I think the entire OP for this game would be the rules, player list, and an example of scum and town (and possibly neutral) role format.

Edit 2: Heck, I might even make it an open set-up of some sort.
Post edited October 22, 2015 by Krypsyn
Krypsyn: ...
That sounds cool but I'm new so it all appeals.

....but how would I RP that?!?!?!?!
Post edited October 22, 2015 by drealmer7
drealmer7: I haven't looked at past games yet (I like how/am comfortable with I'm going about my noobness, though I'll definitely read more after the current game), are 15-20+ players with much frequency or are most games in the 10-15 range?
10-15 for sure. I like 11 and 13 player setups the best.

The current 16 player game is an anomaly. You get up that high and... let's just say it's hard to keep everyone equally involved. As you can see.

But if the game becomes more popular, we should be able to maintain setups at 15-18 even. We have a bunch of quality players on the sidelines this game, although I assume we're about to burn our only two replacements in about 1½ hours, lol.
Krypsyn: It would be amazingly easy to run, obviously, and should have far fewer PM quoting issues (since it would only be the role), but I am not sure how interesting it would be to players.
About as fun as eating dry toast with no butter or jam.

The roles would have to be insane to give the game some charm, with really tight deadlines.

Otherwise, what could possibly be the point of such a game?
Post edited October 22, 2015 by yogsloth
Krypsyn: My next game...
Added (after flubbucket, because he is prettier). No take-backsies!
Krypsyn: My next game...
TheGOGfather: Added (after flubbucket, because he is prettier). No take-backsies!
Add bler to the list before he escapes!