It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Three pillars of Electronic Arts now DRM-free

No matter your personal take on the gaming giant – the many people, teams, and studios behind Electronic Arts brought us some of the most unforgettable experiences, marvelous worlds, and exceptional titles in gaming.
Each of today's three classic releases from Electronic Arts represents a pillar of game design: exceptional world building, mastery in storytelling, an admirable understanding of the balance between scope and focus. Straight from the EA Games vault, making their DRM-free debut on GOG.com, are:

Dragon Age: Origins - Ultimate Edition — the birth of a universe. A complex, extensive universe of raw fantasy and imperfection which spawned countless works reaching far beyond gaming - from graphic novels and novelizations through tabletop games and more. The Dragon Age universe is among the most ambitious fantasy settings ever created, and if you'd like to get more acquainted with the universe, turn up the fantastic soundtrack and take a look at the comprehensive guide to Dragon Age by Kotaku.

Dead Space is a glance at a gritty, hard sci-fi world in a state of irreversible disrepair. This is a game where the horrors lurking around the corner are just as disturbing as ghosts of the past. The glimpses are few, but they meticulously paint a vivid world of dark, scientific wonders and despair – a world you barely know, but a world nonetheless worth saving. A world you will remember. Check out the animated comic prologue available here, as well as the OST on Spotify.

SimCity 3000™ Unlimited is more than the sum of its parts. It's neither the biggest nor the most elaborate in the series, but it's success lies in balancing complexity and accessibility to deliver truly exceptional and welcoming gameplay. It doesn't hurt that you'll spend countless hours listening to a wonderfully jazzy soundtrack (also on Spotify!). Whether you succeed or stumble, one thing is certain: your stay in SimCity 3000 will be… nice.

Experience three pillars of game design by Electronic Arts – the marvelous worlds, unforgettable storytelling, exceptional gameplay – <span class="bold">Dragon Age: Origins - Ultimate Edition</span>, <span class="bold">Dead Space</span>, and <span class="bold">SimCity 3000&trade; Unlimited</span> are now available, DRM-free on GOG.com!
Post edited July 14, 2016 by Konrad
UnrealQuakie: Sims 2 and 3 would be very welcome here but more leaning on sims 2 due to how much freedom you have :D
Sims 3 is technically more "free" due to the inclusion of the open world; you're no longer confined to specific lots.

I think 2 is more likely given that EA have ended support and its been released packaged on Origin. They seem to still be selling 3 separately, so it might be a bit messy for them to release 3 for now, and it also might take too much away from sales on their own platform.
Post edited July 16, 2016 by EuroMIX
Nice addition. Only a little bit too late for me as I own them for my trusty Xbox and Steam and I have enough SimCities.
MysterD: Now what we really need is GOG to get a Dragon Age 2: Complete Edition, Mass Effect 2: Complete Edition, and Mass Effect 3: Complete Editions.
jalister: What about the first Mass Effect?
I'd be certainly fine with a Mass Effect 1: Complete Edition coming to GOG. :)
Alpha Protocol, Mirror's Edge, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Burnout: Paradise (Bonus points if it has the island DLC that never made it over from PS3), and Kingdoms of Amalur. All on my list for EA titles.

Unfortunately when they release just one I start to suspect it will be like Neptunia ReBirth 1 or Assassin's Creed where we only get a single game and, as an incomplete series, I might as well stick with the full set on Origin.

Now if this were DA2 or ME2/3, where the BioWare points were enough of a tick off to keep me from ever buying any DLC through Origin, I'd be happy to repurchase a complete edition. Or DA:I, where I bought the launch version, and then never saw the point in spending more for the DLC than the cost of the complete Ultimate Edition would cost me.

DA:O though, it's complete on PS3, Steam, and Origin. Buying it a fourth time needs a bit better sale than this to inspire me.
liamphoenix: Alpha Protocol, Mirror's Edge, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Burnout: Paradise (Bonus points if it has the island DLC that never made it over from PS3), and Kingdoms of Amalur. All on my list for EA titles.
Isnt Alpha Protocol owned by Sega?
Wish you guys would include these games in your "GOG Connect" program (already have Dragon Age: Origins - Ultimate Edition on Steam). =_=
UnrealQuakie: Deadspace 1 SHHWWEEEET!

Now I am waiting for the C&C complete set and medal of honor airborne and I am complete <3
I would prefer 2010 and Warfighter. :)
liamphoenix: Alpha Protocol, Mirror's Edge, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Burnout: Paradise (Bonus points if it has the island DLC that never made it over from PS3), and Kingdoms of Amalur. All on my list for EA titles.
kokosabre: Isnt Alpha Protocol owned by Sega?
And very strange that Sega haven't put Alpha Protocol on GOG because in last patch they removed all DRM, so game now officially DRM-free.
jalister: What about the first Mass Effect?
MysterD: I'd be certainly fine with a Mass Effect 1: Complete Edition coming to GOG. :)
Only if you do not own new AMD CPU. If you do, then expect problems on Noveria. Oh, and also, there are rumors that developers lost source code for Pinnacle Station DLC. So there might be problems!
Post edited July 16, 2016 by Andrey82
kokosabre: Isnt Alpha Protocol owned by Sega?
Andrey82: And very strange that Sega haven't put Alpha Protocol on GOG because in last patch they removed all DRM, so game now officially DRM-free.
Well SEGA is yet to make an entrance on GOG to begin with.
Andrey82: And very strange that Sega haven't put Alpha Protocol on GOG because in last patch they removed all DRM, so game now officially DRM-free.
kokosabre: Well SEGA is yet to make an entrance on GOG to begin with.
Maybe we should write them a letter (without any swear :) ) in which we desribe thet this game is already DRM-free and they lose nothing putting it on GOG? But they can gain more profit?
Post edited July 16, 2016 by Andrey82
Awesome!

Two more Dragon Ages and four more Mass Effects remaining :p
That's a great new! I was waiting for this long. I hope we will see other DRM-free games in DA series as well as Mass Effect soon. Thanks guys!
I prey for the Command & Conquer games on gog.com !
haydenaurion: If you liked the older Resident Evil games you'll like Dead Space, though it has better controls than the older RE games. Could care less for Dead Space 2 & 3 though, they pretty much turned those into your average third-person shooter, the sense of horror wasn't as strong in those.
amund: Never played Resident Evil but Dead Space kinda look like the new Doom game, only seen the trailer though. I wouldn't mind if it had some kind of loot system and a decent story.
It's not like Doom. The controls, movement, and view angle are intentionally restrictive. You're stomping around in a heavy spacesuit, not leaping in power armor. Enemies can and will grab you from behind before you can turn, pulling you into closeup camera views as you mash the action button to get free. And combat isn't eagerly anticipated. It's chaotic and easy to get cornered.

But don't let that put you off. The game is successful as horror because everything it does immerses you in the character's perspective. You can win any encounter if you keep your wits about you. You can tailor your favorite weapon to match your needs even better. And the story, atmosphere, and pacing are almost perfect from start to finish. The game has immersion, exploration, and very unsettling horror. It's one of those games that does everything so well that you're almost guaranteed to like it if you like the premise.
amund: Never played Resident Evil but Dead Space kinda look like the new Doom game, only seen the trailer though. I wouldn't mind if it had some kind of loot system and a decent story.
wvpr: It's not like Doom. The controls, movement, and view angle are intentionally restrictive. You're stomping around in a heavy spacesuit, not leaping in power armor. Enemies can and will grab you from behind before you can turn, pulling you into closeup camera views as you mash the action button to get free. And combat isn't eagerly anticipated. It's chaotic and easy to get cornered.

But don't let that put you off. The game is successful as horror because everything it does immerses you in the character's perspective. You can win any encounter if you keep your wits about you. You can tailor your favorite weapon to match your needs even better. And the story, atmosphere, and pacing are almost perfect from start to finish. The game has immersion, exploration, and very unsettling horror. It's one of those games that does everything so well that you're almost guaranteed to like it if you like the premise.
You sure make it sound interesting :) Good atmosphere can go a long way, will check out some gameplay before deciding but sounds like it's one of the better horror games out there.
I've got to say, I was quite underwhelmed by these games in particular. Never was very good at SimCity-type games, don't play horror games, and am woefully unprepared at RPG type games. No Need For Speed (any and/or all of them, including Porsche Unleashed)? No Command & Conquer? No old EA Classics games (i.e. the ones in the gold editions that wouldn't take much to run on modern PCs)? Hopefully this means EA is more on board.