It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Gnostic: You are 35 right? I am younger then you. Just that I had a little bit more gratitude for what my grandparents / parents / older generation done for my generation.

When I am younger my family is quite poor and in debts. Still my parents eke out a living and spend most of their money on their children education. I still remember there are a few times we are short of a few pennies to buy a meal (for one) to share among the whole family.

Thanks to my education I don't have much money problems as long I don't be a spendthrift. But I do not forgot what bring me to where I am.
You were raised right. There is no one who can tell you that you weren't raised the right way. It's not up for discussion.

You improved your lot, thanks to your own efforts & the education you were given.

You appreciate the efforts & all the problems your parents & your grandparents went through for you. You'll probably do the same for your children.

You're a credit to your generation. I salute you, young dude. You're very much deserving of Respect. Keep on representin'.

Just to be clear, because I couldn't tell from your post if you realised I was being sarcastic or not, yes I was.
richlind33: ...And the net effect of this dubious arrangement is extreme economic disparity that causes suffering on a scale that is horrific.
Trilarion: There were proposals to reduce the power of money, for example Basel III capital requirements were supposed to reduce banking leverage. But it's voluntary and the timeframe gets shifted constantly. And Occupy Wallstreet was a movement in this direction but somehow didn't catch on with the people in the US.

So far not much changed. And anyway we would all need to work together to make it work. Instead of taking back control locally which doesn't work against money, what you need to do in a globalized economy is much less clear - work together maybe? It's as if national boundaries almost do not exist anymore at least for money.
It *is* mutually beneficial for us to do so. And there's very little we can do as isolated individuals.

Re your last sentence, wealth used to be tied to land, but nowadays people rarely exchange physical commodities, so transactions occur at whatever the current data transfer rate happens to be. We *desperately* need capital controls to protect nations from what has essentially become "economic aggression".
Trilarion: snip

Why do people become so nationalistic again? snip
Oops, we're out of sync it seems... you might be looking at my other reply meanwhile, and were probably posting this while I posted that.

I'm not sure why you are following up with nationalism to what I wrote. Seems like a non sequitur to me. I'm cosmopolitan and pro integration and consider nationalism mostly a dead end. I'm one of those lunatics that would want to see United States of Europe in a much more federal model with clearly defined roles and responsibilities. Although for Europe I'd follow the Swiss model rather than the american one actually. Pipedream of course. It's all coming down.

Anyway, will try to answer you. Nationalism is a cause of the EU and EU is a cause of nationalism. But both of those miss the actual relevant causality IMO which as mentioned is the end of the Cold War. When I said the EU took the opportunity to affirm itself as a counter-pole to the US, don't you see how both French and German nationalism was a factor in that need to self affirm? The EU impulse was nationalism sublimated and camouflaged but never destroyed. The tensions and hierarchies between north - south and east - west were obvious if you were looking. And it was very obvious that cultural integration was never really pursued, from refusing to accept the obvious truth that english needed to be THE language (just look at us right now) and how educational standardization was implemented, focusing on form over substance.

So really, people have not become more nationalistic. People are just being more honest about what was always present, under the surface. European Nations took a nap, when they were relaxed, and they are waking up now because it's more and more clear to them that the EU is not doing what they want from it.
Trilarion: or scaring Russia in Eastern Europe),
Trilarion: at such a time with Turkey, Russia, ISIS, ...?
Oh, I see that you are still being pants on head retarded.
What exactly Russia wants from EU\Europe?
Capture it to...
-get people to fill our jobs with forced labor? We have own unemployment people.
-To generously give Europe jobs? We have own unemployment people.
-To send resources for free into captured territories? Um, what?
-to get European resources? Which ones Europe have which Russia doesn't?
-just because your people are cool to live with? Even Britain doesn't think so.
If Russia ever would become aggressive, it would be cheaper to wipe EU with nukes than spend time and lives on you. That's written in plain text in Russian defence doctrine. NATO forces in Eastern Europe is just a fertilizer.
The main reason NATO stays is just to divide billions of euros and dollars spending between political elite with the reason "spendings on national security". Spectacular fails like F-35 program just to back it up.

Have you ever questioned yourself - Turkey is NATO member, ISIS - attacks Turkey, just today Stambul bombing... and NATO still doesn't do anything against it. Shouldn't defence alliance protect their member? It's what NATO for.
richlind33: ... that the monetary system has subverted rational behavior by way of moral hazard. ... snip
Brasas: Hmmm... so you are also a fan of Hayek et al?
Unlike Keynes, I view people like Hayek as practitioners of economic science. That's not to say that they're always right -- they aren't -- but I have great respect for the Austrian School's many critiques of crony capitalism, and the sham monetary systems that are it's underpinnings.
jamyskis: I've never been quite sure what to make of the Roma. I have nothing against them - the most notorious thing I've experienced about them is when I was studying in France and a group of Roma decided to settle in the car park in front of our halls. Suddenly, the entire place was filled with stacked up bin bags, kids were trying to break into rooms, and the Roma were breaking into the communal showers and leaving shit there (literally, shitting in the shower and leaving it there). They also have a reputation for settling on land that they're not permitted to (trespassing). We occasionally get Roma harassing people on the street for money and knocking on the door to beg as part of an organised scam.

But we had a Roma family living in the flat below us a few years ago - they were relatively fine, apart from occasionally rummaging through other people's rubbish. We still see them occasionally and we say hello. And where I originally come from, Roma occasionally settle in a nearby camping site, pay their way, earn their keep and do their thing.

So it's not a racial thing, I just wonder why crime is so prevalent among Roma. I suspect the fact that many are unable to find education or employment is a big part of it.
Dalthnock: Dear lord, the hypocrisy is overwhelming. It's like watching someone tap dance around laser beams.

Look, just say what you would say if a white person - or as you like to call us, vile barely human pieces of dog shit - did the same thing.

Right now, you're being the textbook definition of racist.

racist
ˈreɪsɪst

noun
1. a person who believes that a particular race is superior to another.
"I had a fear of being called a racist"

adjective
1. having or showing the belief that a particular race is superior to another.
"we are investigating complaints about racist abuse at a newsagents"

Q.E.D., the Roma over the white scum.
Everyones a racist these days, does it make you feel superior or what?
I have no idea what a Roma is but this is a basic, limited observation that you evidently dont like. Grow up.
I'm tired of people and their "Everyone is racist" bullshit! Speak for yourselves.

My motto: "Racism is stupid when there are so many perfectly good reasons to hate people on an individual basis."

And now that I think about it, what if some of you are right, and everyone is racist? How and when did that become an excuse!? WTF!? "Hey everyone is racist so I can just go on being a bigoted piece of shit with no worries and no motivation to educated and better myself!". BULLSHIT. Evolve or get the fuck off the planet.
Post edited June 29, 2016 by tinyE
tinyE: I'm tired of people and their "Everyone is racist" bullshit! Speak for yourselves.

My motto: "Racism is stupid when there are so many perfectly good reasons to hate people on an individual basis."

And now that I think about it, what if some of you are right, and everyone is racist? How and when did that become an excuse!? WTF!? "Hey everyone is racist so I can just go on being a bigoted piece of shit with no worries and no motivation to educated and better myself!". BULLSHIT. Evolve or get the fuck off the planet.
Heh, this is so true. Why hate people for being black or white when you can hate them for being stupid instead? It's a much better reason, and completely independent of race, gender or religion.

Anyway, I came across this article (well, a comment from some random person on the Guardian apparently) that pretty much sums up exactly how I feel about what's going on right now.
It doesn't really matter how good or bad Brexit is for us in the future, right now it's going to do nothing but hurt us. And whoever is in the driving seat will get blamed. Cameron knew that, he knew how vilified Brown was for being PM when he was, why the hell would he stay in position (despite the Leave campaign begging him to) to oversee that when he never even wanted it?
Who ever becomes the next PM is basically going to commit political suicide.
tinyE: ...there are so many perfectly good reasons to hate people on an individual basis."
Yes, and if you must hate, this is the proper way to do it. Otherwise it's just faulty generalization.
Libs gnash their teeth about racism just like religious nutters gnash their teeth about abortion. It's hard to tell them apart.
Boris Johnson is gaining more popularity than ever before.
SirHandsome: Everyones a racist these days, does it make you feel superior or what?
I have no idea what a Roma is but this is a basic, limited observation that you evidently dont like. Grow up.
Nope.

This is more of a "taste your own medicine" kind of thing.

In fact, I'm pretty sure I mentioned how the term "racist" doesn't really mean anything nowadays, in this very thread, but I am too drunk to look for it now, thank heavens for sepll check.

As you can see, it was super effective, or whatever it is the pokémon kids say nowadays.

You see, pyjama skies, or whatever his name is, is one of those people that are full of hatred, so he turned that hatred against the evil du jour, namely the white male, even though he is one himself, under the misapprehension that would automatically make him a good person.

A Roma is a gipsy. Everyone knows what a gipsy is, but people like pyjama skies would never say such a thing because racist, or something.

When you look at his description of what the gipsies did, you have to wonder why he was being so careful with his wording. Anybody else would've called those people assholes, regardless of race, but not pyjama skies. No, a minority in his world can get away with everything, but if a white man sneezes, he should be crucified. After being flogged until the flesh was ripped out of his back.

Is a bit of consistency too much to ask? Aren't we all equal, including us crackas? Positive discrimination IS DISCRIMINATION.

If you don't let a honky off the hook for it, you shouldn't let anyone else, either. Consistency. We's all equal.
tinyE: Evolve or get the fuck off the planet.
That's very racist & bigoted. Not to mention xenophobic.

Not everyone had the same chance to evolve as you did.

Racist.
Post edited June 30, 2016 by Dalthnock
Trilarion: There were proposals to reduce the power of money, ...
Brasas: You know, I won't comment much how I see that as a complete mirseading of Basel III.

I will say that the whole dynamic of rulers leveraging bankers and then controlling them and eventually making scapegoats out of them is a huge part of how anti-semitism became what it became in Europe, culminating in you know what, you know where, by you know whom.

It would be super nice if everyone started looking a little bit under the surface at what the money is doing, rather than just its origin and end points. Follow the money was not a freaking literal expression. The meaning is to see who benefits from the dynamics.

Sure, in a bribe or extorsion follow the money shows the victim and criminal very directly, but with inflation and liquidity at the macro level the situation is a tad more complex.

Regardless of which, anti capitalism is the gift that keeps on giving, and that is the greatest tragedy of our times. Ignore the confusion / conflation over capital as the fuel of innovation and capital as the rentseeking of established powers. The tragedy is the myopia over the billions of humans that were risen out of absolute poverty by globalization and capitalism in the past 50 years. And how we are going to throw that away because of entitlement and arrogance and anger and fear.
science, education, not capitalism, is what rose billions of humans out of poverty. and indeed, we're already kind of blurring things, because, without that science and education, those billions would not exist. the last couple hundred years have been different thanks to the men of science, not the men of capitalism. capitalism has been doing the same thing for so many thousands of years.
tinyE: I'm tired of people and their "Everyone is racist" bullshit! Speak for yourselves.

http://www.andrewritchie.org/groundedlow.jpg
Post edited June 30, 2016 by johnnygoging
adaliabooks: Anyway, I came across this article
Phooey. An article based on a comment.

21st century, millennial "investigative" journalism at its finest.

I'm more concerned about another article link on that page, about one Kerry Ellis.

Is there a sex tape of some kind?
Does anyone know what the release is going to be tomorrow?