It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Soon, you’ll be able to play your favorite games from our store, like the Witcher series or Cyberpunk 2077, on multiple devices of your choice. We’re teaming up with Amazon Luna cloud gaming service to give you even more ways of enjoying your titles, while still keeping our mission of DRM-free gaming.

We’ve set up a blog post explaining everything in more detail so make sure to check it out HERE.

What’s most important is that on Luna you’ll be able to play every game that you already own on GOG (and that is also available on Luna). There’s absolutely no requirement to purchase anything twice – you bought it once on our platform so it’s always yours, as always.

Moreover, it works both ways. You’ll be able to buy games that are available on GOG via Luna’s client and they will go straight into your GOG library.

Check out the blog post and have a great one!
high rated
Hey guys! Please read the whole blog post. Our mission is to be a DRM-free platform and teaming up with Luna isn't here to change that.

Playing offline, storing externally, having offline installers - all the DRM-free goodness that we offer will always be there for you. What this collaboration means, is that you, if you want to, can also play the games you own on GOG via cloud service. Great thing to use if you're travelling a lot or your hardware can't handle certain titles.

And you won't need to purchase any game more than once. When you buy the game you can then play it on Luna, via offline installers, or via GOG GALAXY. How you play it is entirely up to you - the game is yours.
Post edited March 18, 2024 by king_kunat
high rated
Amazon Luna doesn't have many games and it looks like they had also some problems last year with losing games and layoffs.

https://www.theverge.com/2023/2/6/23587936/amazon-luna-losing-games-february-53-titles
https://www.theverge.com/2023/3/22/23651924/amazon-luna-expand-canada-germany-uk

With a collaboration with GOG they probably want more games on this service. If this doesn't work it will probably follow Google's Stadia.

It looks to me we can witness another streaming service dying.
This can be good or bad depending on the motivation.
toma85: With a collaboration with GOG they probably want more games on this service. If this doesn't work it will probably follow Google's Stadia.
Is this something different than Stadia? I mean technically speaking – did they reinvent the wheel or did they manage to snag Google's software.
I doubt it's going to see much use from GOG's userbase, but if GOG profits from it without compromising on their original mission in any way, then by all means.
I really don't understand this. How is the store making deals with amazon for streaming. They don't have the rights to do that, right? Aren't developers who have to allow their game to be on Luna? So this must be like partnership to allow any existinig game being streamed via gog ownership too. I remember not long ago people were asking to make this possible with nvidia. So they will do something like accounts connection I assume. I just really hope Galaxy won't be changed in any way, god forbid the offline installers. But if everythng is just on the Amazon side to check for ownership it would be okay.
Post edited March 18, 2024 by Hirako__
high rated
GOG.com: Soon, you’ll be able to play your favorite games from our store, like the Witcher series or Cyberpunk 2077, on multiple devices of your choice. We’re teaming up with Amazon Luna cloud gaming service to give you even more ways of enjoying your titles, while still keeping our mission of DRM-free gaming.

We’ve set up a blog post explaining everything in more detail so make sure to check it out HERE.

What’s most important is that on Luna you’ll be able to play every game that you already own on GOG (and that is also available on Luna). There’s absolutely no requirement to purchase anything twice – you bought it once on our platform so it’s always yours, as always.

Moreover, it works both ways. You’ll be able to buy games that are available on GOG via Luna’s client and they will go straight into your GOG library.

Check out the blog post and have a great one!
A Linux launcher would be way more useful. Why is this highly requested feature ignored? If you can't make a Linux launcher, then why not make it possible to sync our saves with a small tool? At least give us something!

The more I buy on GOG, the more I question my choice. At least valve lets us install steam natively on Linux and lets us deal with proton. Why not make something similar?
Post edited March 18, 2024 by Shameless_W
high rated
I read: "We're teaming up with the people who are the reason nobody can afford a computer! Yay!"

Sounds like the beginning of the end, to me.
high rated
king_kunat: having offline installers - all the DRM-free goodness that we offer will always be there for you.
So then why is support telling people to use/download the game via Galaxy for God of War when they are reporting issues with the offline installers? (From what i've read on the forums and in the big topic as I don't own the game here yet.)

Also sorry to take it off-topic but anytime a blue says offline installers and DRM-free goodness its anything but.

As for OT I woun't use it but as Catventurer said Amazon is a pain to get through to for support so people will be contacting an already very stretched GOG support instead, just seems a waste of resources when GOG its-self is in such a bad shape at the moment.
high rated
Odessam: GOG is diversifying and it's a good thing.
You want access to your offline installers, you can have it.
You want a launcher , you got it.
You want to be able to play via cloud gaming, you can.
Humble Bundle,Fanatical..
We all have an interest in GOG becoming more and more known and used.
It's way more nuanced than "I like thing so thing good."
Is cloud gaming something GOG customers were overwhelmingly clamoring for, or is this GOG playing "Maybe-it'll-catch-on Roulette" with investors' money?
RandomEurico: Genuine question: why? I mean whats the use case? Help me understand.

At best I can only see the case of a few modern games (which is not the core market for GOG) for users that have an older GPU. - I assume also that there is/will defintely be a monthly free that Amazon will charge.
13ison: The post as far as I can tell indicates there will not be a fee, and as more AAA games, God of War the most recent example, show up, the ability to play at least some of these games wherever I want without having to have access to a rig with a gaming GPU seems nice.
Currently no fee, but current trend is amass users then charge for the service, increase fee and then introduce ads. It costs money to provide such service, Amazon or any other company will want the ROI. Changing ToS/EULA is a common practice that "initial launch conditions" become obsolete after a while - the old bait and switch by then claimint the do that only to invest and improve the service etc.

I do see the case for AAA, and for many recent games, but GOG positions more in the retro arena, no? A lot of pre-2010s can run pretty much anyware, are a "few games" (relative to the size of the GOG catalog) worth a new service - free now but unlikely to be case in the medium term.
toma85: With a collaboration with GOG they probably want more games on this service. If this doesn't work it will probably follow Google's Stadia.
mk47at: Is this something different than Stadia? I mean technically speaking – did they reinvent the wheel or did they manage to snag Google's software.
Iirc, Amazon Luna started one year after Stadia and it was Amazon's own answer to cloud gaming. And like Google Amazon is offering a controller (Luna Controller) made for the service. One problem of Stadia was also not having many games.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Stadia_games

What I read is that you can use a Stadia controller with Luna now.
If you are a drm free site forever it doesnt really matter. Still partnering with good publishers like bandai and square should be a priority
Post edited March 18, 2024 by ChristophWr
RandomEurico: Genuine question: why? I mean whats the use case? Help me understand.

At best I can only see the case of a few modern games (which is not the core market for GOG) for users that have an older GPU. - I assume also that there is/will defintely be a monthly free that Amazon will charge.
BrianSim: Yes. It's meant for people who can't afford €300 GPU's, so instead they spend €360-$960 on €10-$20 monthly Amazon Luna streaming subscription fees over the same 3-4 years typical GPU lifespan, on top of buying all those €40-€60 games. It saves money, honest! ;-)
Yup, am neutral on the topic as its optional and do agree with your analysis.

Am just really trying to understand why would GOG venture on such feature given the retro catalog vs modern games - maybe am wrong and the % of modern games that require a beefier GPU is the majority now?
WinterSnowfall: - as a benefit (solely for GOG and perhaps developers), they are easier to generate and maintain, at least in theory
Well they aren't in practice - shown by the fact that a) innoextract can extract them and b) I and several other users each had quick and dirty solutions to reassemble the files after we discovered the unnecessary Galaxy layer of indirection in the offline installers before that.
I've never tried Luna, but if this allows people without PCs to play games via streaming until they can get the hardware to run them, well, why not (so long as both ways of accessing games can coexist).

Still, I get why alarms are being raised, and I guess we'll have to see if this partnership with the devil entices more devs and publishers to bring their games to gog, or ends up becoming another nail in the coffin for traditional gaming and more specifically for gog.