It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Soon, you’ll be able to play your favorite games from our store, like the Witcher series or Cyberpunk 2077, on multiple devices of your choice. We’re teaming up with Amazon Luna cloud gaming service to give you even more ways of enjoying your titles, while still keeping our mission of DRM-free gaming.

We’ve set up a blog post explaining everything in more detail so make sure to check it out HERE.

What’s most important is that on Luna you’ll be able to play every game that you already own on GOG (and that is also available on Luna). There’s absolutely no requirement to purchase anything twice – you bought it once on our platform so it’s always yours, as always.

Moreover, it works both ways. You’ll be able to buy games that are available on GOG via Luna’s client and they will go straight into your GOG library.

Check out the blog post and have a great one!
high rated
Hey guys! Please read the whole blog post. Our mission is to be a DRM-free platform and teaming up with Luna isn't here to change that.

Playing offline, storing externally, having offline installers - all the DRM-free goodness that we offer will always be there for you. What this collaboration means, is that you, if you want to, can also play the games you own on GOG via cloud service. Great thing to use if you're travelling a lot or your hardware can't handle certain titles.

And you won't need to purchase any game more than once. When you buy the game you can then play it on Luna, via offline installers, or via GOG GALAXY. How you play it is entirely up to you - the game is yours.
Post edited March 18, 2024 by king_kunat
greeklover: It would be great for GOG and for customers if you offered a free tier like Geforce Now. Basic Rig, Standard Access to Gaming Servers, 1-Hour Session Length, Ad-Supported, 1080p/60fps on medium settings. If you want to bring new people to GOG, especially younger gamers, you have to entice them with much more than a free 7-day trial. When you launch the service, you could give away some promo codes for a 3-6 month subscription without having to enter credit card details.
Interesting idea, but how much younger are you supposing to aim? 18-25, or 3-7?
greeklover: It would be great for GOG and for customers if you offered a free tier like Geforce Now. Basic Rig, Standard Access to Gaming Servers, 1-Hour Session Length, Ad-Supported, 1080p/60fps on medium settings. If you want to bring new people to GOG, especially younger gamers, you have to entice them with much more than a free 7-day trial. When you launch the service, you could give away some promo codes for a 3-6 month subscription without having to enter credit card details.
ᛞᚨᚱᚹᛟᚾᛞ: Interesting idea, but how much younger are you supposing to aim? 18-25, or 3-7?
We are talking about a subscription model so the owner of the account must have a credit/debit/prepaid card. In my country minors are allowed to have cards but I don't know whether a company can sell this type of service to them. There is also a strong dislike towards the philosophy of "You are charged unless you cancel". Businesses think it's more convenient or even that they make free money when people forget to cancel, but I know a lot of people that avoid this type of membership because they don't want to forget to cancel or have another thing on their mind. At least GOG can give the choice of automatic vs manual monthly payments.
high rated
Only found this thread today and thought it was 1 April joke from GOG.........
CharaxS: I assume almost all of my old school GoG collection won’t also be available on Luna. This is really only for more current games, right? I don’t imagine Luna supporting some 1990s goodness.
Luna is runing, at the very least, on "on a standard version of Amazon’s EC2 G4 server instance running Windows, complete with Nvidia’s T4 GPUs and Intel’s Cascade Lake CPUs." (source : The Verge).
At this point, it's more a matter of publishing rights than server issue (thanks to Windows support ; Luna servers should be able to run any Good Old Games).

Schulze87: I love it. When it will be started?
I'd like to think it won't be long now.
It seems that GoG games support is already implementend, at least partially. You can already filter them :
https://luna.amazon.com/library?channel=goglicenses
I assume Amazon and/or GoG are waiting until they have a substantial catalog, and that compatible games are spread across all servers.

greeklover: snip
I highly doubt that will happen. Currently, and unlike GFN, Luna offers a single tier, which is the best thing to do to keep operating costs down.

To play GoG games on Luna, an Amazon Prime subscription or a Luna+ subscription will certainly be required :
https://multimedia.email2.gog.com/gog-B/photos/fbdc6c3b-b53e-47d6-b6d8-f883cf4e4c9b.png
GoG certainly can't gift Amazon Prime membership, and I doubt they'd offer a Luna+ subscription (i.e. lose money to allow GoGer access other games).

A free tier can be considered, but it's usually a disastrous option.
Post edited April 02, 2024 by shade
shade: Luna servers should be able to run any Good Old Games).
Yeeeeeaah, about "running any game"?

Aside from games which would ask to enter resolutions which don't exist for most modern systems, I can think of several games, which for one reason or another, would fail to execute cleanly. For example, a lot of Direct X games before 9. Not to mention, what exactly happens when a game like Rogue Squadron switches from one screen mode to another? And games like Space Empires V already run like butt normally, will GOG be there to help guide configuration so it doesn't come to a screeching halt?

And what does happen when a game abnormally terminates, or enters a runaway state?
high rated
I don't know if anyone has made this point yet, as it is a long topic and unfortunately I am not able to keep up with it as much as would be ideal.

But, I would like to put forth the point that "more options" is not always a good thing. What often happens in the current type of world/society we have is that we are given the illusion of options but behind the scenes, companies are racing to consolidate power, leaving us with less options in the end. I am not specifically accusing GOG of this, and I had never even heard of Luna as I have negative (read: less than zero) interest in "cloud streaming service."

We have seen in another media where options will be given at first, but then companies will ultimately force people into a very pro-corporate subscription model "take it or leave it", with "leave it" meaning not being able to access the content at all. We have also seen GOG change course on policies (and not for the better)...regional pricing being one concrete example that predates me, though of course there is also discussion about Galaxy/DRM in this thread I couldn't help but notice :)

We have seen in PC gaming itself where games used to come on disc, many DRM-free, then the vast majority of games became locked into Steam DRM ecosystem.

So the concern about the future is warranted. Many of us still want to own our media ("own" in the sense of uninterfered possession, since I know some legal beagle will say "you're only buying a license"). My observation is that streaming and any subscription model is, given enough time passing and the way companies tend to act these days, in complete and total opposition to ownership/possession/user control of content.

Sidenote: while I wanted to make this point, and I do enjoy discussing on these forums, I may not be able to respond to replies or PMs very easily for a while.
CharaxS: I assume almost all of my old school GoG collection won’t also be available on Luna. This is really only for more current games, right? I don’t imagine Luna supporting some 1990s goodness.
shade: Luna is runing, at the very least, on "on a standard version of Amazon’s EC2 G4 server instance running Windows, complete with Nvidia’s T4 GPUs and Intel’s Cascade Lake CPUs." (source : The Verge).
At this point, it's more a matter of publishing rights than server issue (thanks to Windows support ; Luna servers should be able to run any Good Old Games).
I wasn’t worried about the technical aspect. It’s a question of whether Luna will have, as you say, publishing rights to the GoG catalogue of older games. If they do, great, but I feel this will be geared towards newer games.
ᛞᚨᚱᚹᛟᚾᛞ: snip
Well...
https://www.gog.com/join-luna

No additional build requirement
If your game works on GOG, we’ll make sure it also works hassle-free on Luna.
I think this might answer your questions.

And this same link allows me to make a remark to @CharaxS : it seems that the ball is in publisher's court.
As far as I can see, GoG offers this possibility, but will not (and cannot) force publishers to accept it. And Amazon may not offer incentives beyond what is offered (reach a new audience and sell them games).

rjbuffchix: So the concern about the future is warranted. Many of us still want to own our media ("own" in the sense of uninterfered possession, since I know some legal beagle will say "you're only buying a license"). My observation is that streaming and any subscription model is, given enough time passing and the way companies tend to act these days, in complete and total opposition to ownership/possession/user control of content.
Maybe I'm naive, but I sincerely believe that this partnership, in the form in which it is announced, in no way threatens our rights as a recipient of GoG services. It's not a question of changing our current rights, but of adding an - optional - possibility of playing the games. Imperfect because, for example, it will be impossible to play a version of the game modded by the user. But the possibility of playing the vanilla version of the game via Luna in no way detracts from the fact that the license to use the game will be held on GoG, that it will be possible to download a DRM-free copy that can be played offline, and so on.

We are not in the situation where the game license is purchased and can only be used for streaming, as was the case with Stadia.
shade: Well...
https://www.gog.com/join-luna I think this might answer your questions.
So no on several games, including SimCity 3000, Roller Coaster Tycoon 3, Call to Power 2, and several other titles that are flaky at best in the best of circumstances.

By the way, how is a game like Settlers 3 expected to work, given they need to generate a serial key for it?
Post edited April 03, 2024 by ᛞᚨᚱᚹᛟᚾᛞ
Reaper9988: Yeah.....nooo ? It's all pretty civil here
What is really pathetic, is the fact that this thread is relatively civil.
Breja: Please, prevent people from voicing opinions I disagree with immediately.
Exactly what I'm talking about.
Post edited April 03, 2024 by jadedrakerider
lixicus: And for your info gog sales and market share is growing, it's doing better that previous years, and here is you talking about it's slow death xD.
Pheace: They did make a cool million last year... after a decade and a half in the gaming industry which has grown immensely. I keep saying this but in my opinion, if it wasn't for CDP IP's being sold here without a sales cut, the store wouldn't even be around anymore.
Exactly, they have barely made any profit, many of times not making a profit. CDP IP's keep this place afloat and that a terrible position to be in. Let's not forgot other factors like Steam Deck and other handhelds that have completely changed the PC landscape.

This deal is GOG's attempt to stay relevant...
BKGaming: Exactly, they have barely made any profit, many of times not making a profit. CDP IP's keep this place afloat and that a terrible position to be in. Let's not forgot other factors like Steam Deck and other handhelds that have completely changed the PC landscape.

This deal is GOG's attempt to stay relevant...
Why this, and not several, more logical decisions? Did GOG consider working with Beelzebub and Mephisto too? (That question is partly rhetorical.)
king_kunat: Great thing to use if you're travelling a lot or your hardware can't handle certain titles.
Bullhonky on both. (Here's a video...) Just bring your luggable along. After all, they stopped weighing 30 kg 30 years ago!
Post edited April 09, 2024 by dnovraD
high rated
dnovraD: Bullhonky on both. (Here's a video...) Just bring your luggable along. After all, they stopped weighing 30 kg 30 years ago!
In my experience, carrying a sub 1.5kg 14" Ultraportable (that you may need to take anyway for work) is far less hassle than amusingly trying to "cloud stream" over a typical flaky, high latency, congested hotel Wi-Fi connection...
> GOG announces anything
> 20+ pages prognosticating "the end of GOG!"
> Repeat
dnovraD: Bullhonky on both. (Here's a video...) Just bring your luggable along. After all, they stopped weighing 30 kg 30 years ago!
BrianSim: In my experience, carrying a sub 1.5kg 14" Ultraportable (that you may need to take anyway for work) is far less hassle than amusingly trying to "cloud stream" over a typical flaky, high latency, congested hotel Wi-Fi connection...
...have You heard of 5G?