It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Soon, you’ll be able to play your favorite games from our store, like the Witcher series or Cyberpunk 2077, on multiple devices of your choice. We’re teaming up with Amazon Luna cloud gaming service to give you even more ways of enjoying your titles, while still keeping our mission of DRM-free gaming.

We’ve set up a blog post explaining everything in more detail so make sure to check it out HERE.

What’s most important is that on Luna you’ll be able to play every game that you already own on GOG (and that is also available on Luna). There’s absolutely no requirement to purchase anything twice – you bought it once on our platform so it’s always yours, as always.

Moreover, it works both ways. You’ll be able to buy games that are available on GOG via Luna’s client and they will go straight into your GOG library.

Check out the blog post and have a great one!
high rated
Hey guys! Please read the whole blog post. Our mission is to be a DRM-free platform and teaming up with Luna isn't here to change that.

Playing offline, storing externally, having offline installers - all the DRM-free goodness that we offer will always be there for you. What this collaboration means, is that you, if you want to, can also play the games you own on GOG via cloud service. Great thing to use if you're travelling a lot or your hardware can't handle certain titles.

And you won't need to purchase any game more than once. When you buy the game you can then play it on Luna, via offline installers, or via GOG GALAXY. How you play it is entirely up to you - the game is yours.
Post edited March 18, 2024 by king_kunat
high rated
I'm absolutely not interested in it, but if you GOG are convinced that you have to do this to open up new customer segments, fine by me. But as soon as I get the feeling I'm being pushed into it somehow or you think you have to do (time-)exclusive streaming deals, I'm gone forever.
high rated
This collaboration is on a timer anyway with Luna - just like Stadia or Gaikai before it - destined to go kaputt sooner or later, thus I don't really mind and will just ignore it.

Hope GOG's support is prepared for the inevitable increase in inquiries for issues that solely lie in Luna's responsibility to process and solve, as already pointed out by others here too.
Post edited March 18, 2024 by CMiq
idbeholdME: I doubt it's going to see much use from GOG's userbase, but if GOG profits from it without compromising on their original mission in any way, then by all means.
lixicus: Streaming doesn't really profit the devs at all. Look at platforms such as Spotify, artists with milions of listeners barely make a dime. The only dudes making a buck from these platforms are the platforms hodlers themselves. So you are not supporting the industry at all. Look at game pass, ask the devs waht they make from that and you will get negative feedback.
Interesting. But it not being profitable for the devs does not mean GOG isn't profiting from this somehow. I'd imagine they wouldn't be working with Amazon otherwise. But we can't really know without knowing the specifics of the deal between them.
idbeholdME: I doubt it's going to see much use from GOG's userbase, but if GOG profits from it without compromising on their original mission in any way, then by all means.
lixicus: Streaming doesn't really profit the devs at all. [...]
The idea is that to be able to stream the game, you first need to buy it. You cannot stream a game you do not own.

So if a customer have a rig that is not powerfull enough to play a game, that customer will not buy that game. But if they can buy and stream, then the power of their rig is not an issue.

So when you add streaming, you can get an increase in potential sales - you can get sales from the people with a powerfull enough rig, but also from people who do not have one. So in theory, that should give the devs more profit through more sales

In the end, the devs do not care how you play the game, through Galaxy, through a stand-alone installer... installed game, or via streaming. A sale is a sale.
Post edited March 18, 2024 by amok
Amazon wants to optimize their compute/network usage which is fine. How would Luna handle high pressure days like Black Friday that mean nothing to the indifferent(others buy--I play holiday) GoG player?
high rated
lixicus: Streaming doesn't really profit the devs at all. [...]
amok: The idea is that to be able to stream the game, you first need to buy it. You cannot stream a game you do not own.

So if a customer have a rig that is not powerfull enough to play a game, that customer will not buy that game. But if they can buy and stream, then the power of their rig is not an issue.

So when you add streaming, you can get an increase in potential sales - you can get sales from the people with a powerfull enough rig, but also from people who do not have one. So in theory, that should give the devs more profit trhough more sales
Sorry but no, that is just plain you will ow nothing and be happy about it propaganda. 80% of the games on GOG at this moment are older titles that can be played on a dual core pc. If you can't afford a pc from 20 years ago, you certanly can't afford paying for a streaming subscription + buying the games. Steam deck as of right now is 300 bucks new, even cheaper on second hand market. Telling me you need to stream games to play on the go is just propaganda. I'm sorry if you see me so activated on this, but you need to realise on what platform you are and what people buy games here, we are not so gullible to fall for that streaming/renting bull. Don't fool yourself that devs make extra profit from these streamign services, the only true profit goes to the platform itself. I think game pass already proved that from game devs feedback and / or other streamign services such as spotify, etc.
lixicus: Streaming doesn't really profit the devs at all. Look at platforms such as Spotify, artists with milions of listeners barely make a dime. The only dudes making a buck from these platforms are the platforms hodlers themselves. So you are not supporting the industry at all. Look at game pass, ask the devs waht they make from that and you will get negative feedback.
idbeholdME: Interesting. But it not being profitable for the devs does not mean GOG isn't profiting from this somehow. I'd imagine they wouldn't be working with Amazon otherwise. But we can't really know without knowing the specifics of the deal between them.
Sure gog wants to integrate more control into the galaxy client, not the first time when they pull drm-ed games into the platform only to remove it after it got a huge backlash ... probably they makea a way of people on that platform to buy games directly from gog using gog galaxy to connect to luna, makes sense for them, not for the customer base tough. This kind of stuff is pointed to kids that have no clue what owning a game means.
Post edited March 18, 2024 by lixicus
high rated
As far as i'm concerned, streaming is the antithesis of what GOG is supposed to be, it's the death of ownership and is the dream future for a lot of big publishers, the ultimate walled garden. Anything that helps legitimize this "option" is a threat to DRM free gaming and to gaming preservation as a whole.

A lot of industry does not want this to be optional, and we've seen how many principles GOG has compromised already, how the offline installers suffer thanks to the garbage fire that is Galaxy. Users giving this a free pass because 'it's optional' right now is how we end up in the worst timeline.
Post edited March 18, 2024 by ReynardFox
amok: The idea is that to be able to stream the game, you first need to buy it. You cannot stream a game you do not own.

So when you add streaming, you can get an increase in potential sales - you can get sales from the people with a powerfull enough rig, but also from people who do not have one. So in theory, that should give the devs more profit trhough more sales
lixicus: Sorry but no, that is just plain you will ow nothing and be happy about it propaganda. 80% of the games on GOG at this moment are older titles that can be played on a dual core pc. If you can't afford a pc from 20 years ago, you certanly can't afford paying for a streaming subscription + buying the games. Steam deck as of right now is 300 bucks new, even cheaper on second hand market. Telling me you need to stream games to play on the go is just propaganda. I'm sorry if you see me so activated on this, but you need to realise on what platform you are and what people buy games here, we are not so gullible to fall for that streaming/renting bull. Don't fool yourself that devs make extra profit from these streamign services, the only true profit goes to the platform itself. I think game pass already proved that from game devs feedback and / or other streamign services such as spotify, etc.
sigh... i responded to the line "Streaming doesn't really profit the devs at al". what you are saying here has absolutely nothing to do with that.

You are talking about the buyer and their ownership of a digital product, not about the potential profit for the developer. this is a complete non sequitur.

Yes, it is fine to criticize streaming from a customer point of view. There are many bad points about streaming. However, potential loss of income for developers is NOT one of them. In fact, game streaming can give developers more income... which is why many of them are in favour of it.
Post edited March 18, 2024 by amok
high rated
ReynardFox: As far as i'm concerned, streaming is the antithesis of what GOG is supposed to be, it's the death of ownership and is the dream future for a lot of big publishers, the ultimate walled garden. Anything that helps legitimize this "option" is a threat to DRM free gaming and to gaming preservation as a whole.

A lot of industry does not want this to be optional, and we've seen how many principles GOG has compromised already, how the offline installer suffer thanks to the garbage fire that is Galaxy. Users giving this a free pass because 'it's optional' right now is how we end up in the worst timeline.
Preach it up brother.
high rated
Google shot their Stadia baby right in the head and buried it. We'll see how long this Amazon thing will last.

As long as GoG keeps its promise to have offline installers, I'm fine with some addition stuff I won't ever use.
I haven't read the whole thread, so can someone correct me if I'm wrong: everyone is complaining again, because we'll get an option to play all the games we own or purchase in the future, for free, without a high-end rig? Because if I *purchase* the game here, as always, I'll be able to play it on Lumia for free, and it's a bad thing?

GOG's raison d'etre is DRM-free gaming and offline installers, so they'll never volountarily drop this feature, because then they'll become a worse Steam alternative and promptly go out of business. Partnership with Lumia
- brings people who wouldn't buy the game due to lack of hardware,
- allow customers to buy notebooks for light weight/battery life rather than power, thus further locking them in to GOG (at least in so far as purchasing games goes, rather than subscription service)
- potentially bring some Lumia customers to GOG, increasing its visibility (assuming cross-promotion).

Given the comments, I seriously doubt they'll lose customers to Lumia (they wouldn't lose to some other subscription service), so I fail to see any flaws

We don't know the details of the deal - it must cost GOG something, evidently - but if the partnership doesn't work out, they can simply cancel it. It doesn't seem like it involves a serious upfront investment to support a simple information exchange.
Post edited March 18, 2024 by polysquirrel
lixicus: Sorry but no, that is just plain you will ow nothing and be happy about it propaganda. 80% of the games on GOG at this moment are older titles that can be played on a dual core pc. If you can't afford a pc from 20 years ago, you certanly can't afford paying for a streaming subscription + buying the games. Steam deck as of right now is 300 bucks new, even cheaper on second hand market. Telling me you need to stream games to play on the go is just propaganda. I'm sorry if you see me so activated on this, but you need to realise on what platform you are and what people buy games here, we are not so gullible to fall for that streaming/renting bull. Don't fool yourself that devs make extra profit from these streamign services, the only true profit goes to the platform itself. I think game pass already proved that from game devs feedback and / or other streamign services such as spotify, etc.
amok: sigh... i responded to the line "Streaming doesn't really profit the devs at al". what you are saying here has absolutely nothing to do with that.

You are talking about the buyer and their ownership of a digital product, not about the potential profit for the developer. this is a complete non-sequitur.

Yes, it is fine to criticize streaming from a customer point of view. There are many bad points about streaming. However, potential loss of income for developers is NOT one of them. In fact, game streaming can give developers more income... which is why many of them are in favour of it.
Yeah go ahead and ask devs that are on game pass to give you some feedback how that fiasco is going on right now ... if you don't have friends in the industry please don't speak about how things work.
amok: sigh... i responded to the line "Streaming doesn't really profit the devs at al". what you are saying here has absolutely nothing to do with that.

You are talking about the buyer and their ownership of a digital product, not about the potential profit for the developer. this is a complete non-sequitur.

lixicus: Yeah go ahead and ask devs that are on game pass to give you some feedback how that fiasco is going on right now ... if you don't have friends in the industry please don't speak about how things work.
Game Pass is not streaming. Their experimental streaming service is called Xbox Cloud Gaming and is in early beta stages.

Can you keep on topic?
high rated
polysquirrel: I haven't read the whole thread, so can someone correct me if I'm wrong: everyone is complaining again, because we'll get an option to play all the games we own or purchase in the future, for free, without a high-end rig?
What high end rig you need when 90% of games on here don't even require a dual core processor, please stop embarrasing yourself. I get it you are new here, but if you want that you got steam of epic, you trully don't udnerstand what gog is all about ...
lixicus: Yeah go ahead and ask devs that are on game pass to give you some feedback how that fiasco is going on right now ... if you don't have friends in the industry please don't speak about how things work.
amok: Game Pass is not streaming. Their experimental streaming service is called Xbox Cloud Gaming and is in early beta stages.

Can you keep on topic?
Exactly it's a better service than streamign and they are yet to make good money of it. Devs need sales, not streaming nor renting. We are on the very topic here my guy.
Post edited March 18, 2024 by lixicus
high rated
I leave for a while because I'm so goddamn tired of all the shit about political correctness right wing vs left wing etc. and I come back to this.

In the immortal words of Max Payne: "The genius of the hole: No matter how long you spend climbing out, you can still fall back down in an instant."
Post edited March 18, 2024 by Breja