It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

BlazeKING: It is sickening especially since CDPR offered a DRM free version here as well as different editions, free dlc and released for PC exclusive right now.

However, this shows the game is very popular and is really taking the gaming industry by storm. I just hope many of those folks will buy it after trying it because if we want another game like this for pc everyone who wants to play needs to support the devs.
Tom.Fagerlund: I was a bit shocked to see that so many was downloading the game illegaly. I just hope that atleast 10% of them buy the game.
It's perhaps a good sign for CDPR because usually when a game gets that many illegal downloads, its a huge seller. Once the American reviews start pouring in, they will rake in a lot of $$.
Leondres: Considering they even gave 5 bucks off the game to preorder and arn't like the current pc gaming trend of making games 60, it's sad people have to pirate it.
Tom.Fagerlund: Yea 45 bucks for this game is nothing, especially when you paid 60 dollars for a crappy rpg-game in mars.
Btw thanks for not trolling... Too much of that around today. Nice to see some normal folks. :)

Mass effect 2 wasn't bad just much less of an rpg then action game, of course that's just my opinion.
I can't really get upset by those numbers.

Think about it, the internet is worldwide, even in third world countries. Now there are most likely millions of poor people with internet that can never afford these games.

So you really can't count those downloads as losses, because those people would never be able to buy it.

Ps. And yes...I bought the game. In fact, I bought the expensive collector's edition just like I did with The Witcher 1 (physical copies, gotta have that Geralt head bust) :-)
maul_inc: I can't really get upset by those numbers.

Think about it, the internet is worldwide, even in third world countries. Now there are most likely millions of poor people with internet that can never afford these games.

So you really can't count those downloads as losses, because those people would never be able to buy it.

Ps. And yes...I bought the game. In fact, I bought the expensive collector's edition just like I did with The Witcher 1 (physical copies, gotta have that Geralt head bust) :-)
Could be worse, could have call of dutys pirate numbers.
While a lot of those downloads are from spoiled little pissants who don't pay people for their work a lot of them might be people demoing the game who will buy it if they like it. A lot of others might be people wanting a DRM free backup who bought it at retail.
That shows how alot of people not stupid enough to buy a game just to test if their PC could run it or not. Trust me this game would make people feel ashamed playing it and not giving credit where it is due. The Witcher demands respect.

The only game I've played in my life where I would pause to enjoy the scenery...huge amount of work was poured into it, game plays perfectly on my PC and I enjoy the new battle system it punishes the 'dumb'...
Post edited May 18, 2011 by kindiboy
I think the notion of people buying a game after pirating it because they liked it was debunked with World of Goo and another game for the iPhone. People pirate because they are freetards and let other people rationalise it for them. Here's hoping CDPR are successful in living up to their warning that they will monitor torrent traffic and nip it in the bud.
Pioneer161: I think the notion of people buying a game after pirating it because they liked it was debunked with World of Goo and another game for the iPhone. People pirate because they are freetards and let other people rationalise it for them. Here's hoping CDPR are successful in living up to their warning that they will monitor torrent traffic and nip it in the bud.
I've done it a bunch of times for games that don't come with demo's. I'm not saying most of the pirates are going to go out and buy a copy tomorrow or anything, but there's definitely a chunk of us that use torrents that way. If companies would release at least a benchmark then that would help...
Even if this is shitty for the developers, it means the game is popular, and i'm pretty sure they will still make alot of profit from this game ;)
Piracy can not be stopped. The important thing is that CDPR knows this, and does not punish paying customers trying to combat pirates who cannot be stopped anyway. They put other developers to shame, not just with the quality of their products, but with their extremely mature and open minded stance on situations they know they can't control.
And lots of those d/loaders are kids who can't buy the game anyway because of their age! lol
Pioneer161: I think the notion of people buying a game after pirating it because they liked it was debunked with World of Goo and another game for the iPhone. People pirate because they are freetards and let other people rationalise it for them. Here's hoping CDPR are successful in living up to their warning that they will monitor torrent traffic and nip it in the bud.
One game is hardly proof of anything, and puzzle games like WoG don't create the same attachment that story-driven games like The Witcher do. Personally, I know a good number of people who have bought games as a direct result of stealing them first. That doesn't make it right, but to claim that such a thing has been "debunked" is just downright ignorant.
acb2k9: I've done it a bunch of times for games that don't come with demo's. I'm not saying most of the pirates are going to go out and buy a copy tomorrow or anything, but there's definitely a chunk of us that use torrents that way. If companies would release at least a benchmark then that would help...
I totally agree with this. It's probably not the norm but there are people who do exactly that for the above reason.

I downloaded the leaked version of Crysis 2 when it came out 2 months before launch and then preordered the game from Steam once I'd seen how well it ran on my rig.

Did the same with Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit and a few others recently.

Frankly, if you don't release a demo or at least a benchmarking tool, you're loosing a lot of business from the mid/low end PC users out there who just aren't willing to take a risk for $60.
227: One game is hardly proof of anything, and puzzle games like WoG don't create the same attachment that story-driven games like The Witcher do. Personally, I know a good number of people who have bought games as a direct result of stealing them first. That doesn't make it right, but to claim that such a thing has been "debunked" is just downright ignorant.
A puzzle driven game that doesn't create the same attachment is one thing, but if someone would rather pirate a game than spend $5 how would a $60 game make them less likely to pirate it? I agree that using only two games as an example of false rationalisation by pirates is the same as a handful of people on a forum saying that they're an exception to the previous statement. But I still stand by it.
Pioneer161: A puzzle driven game that doesn't create the same attachment is one thing, but if someone would rather pirate a game than spend $5 how would a $60 game make them less likely to pirate it? I agree that using only two games as an example of false rationalisation by pirates is the same as a handful of people on a forum saying that they're an exception to the previous statement. But I still stand by it.
I remember there was a pack of games that you could set the price on, but forget the name. Anyway, you could buy it for a penny, if you were so inclined. That game ended up being pirated, as well.

The point being, price is a small component of the problem. Whether the game is $5 or $60, someone who's not going to pay isn't going to pay. The difference between the piracy of that game and a game like The Witcher 1/2 is that the latter's narrative connects with the player, and that can often inspire a person to go out and buy it afterward (which is a statistic never reflected on torrents and the like, so it's easy to draw grand assumptions that x many people have stolen the game with no intentions of ever paying).

But I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.