It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

I have bought 2 versions : gog digital for me and retail premium from 1C local distributor for my girlfriend (because there is no Russian in gog version). First of all we installed boxed version. It was awful. No launcher, DRM installation, it was impossible to get DLC and there was no text in dialogs or main menu. So we uninstalled and deactivated it. There was a big surpise for to see that only 5 activation is available and 10!!! deactivations (9 currently).
Then we have installed gog version and there was no problem at all. And thanks to CD Project programmers it was realy easy (just copy localization files) to add russian language to gog version. So currently only my girlfriend plays in Witcher 2.

So, maybe those who downloaded illegal copy done that, because their retail version was so buggy and unplayable, because of DRM protection added.

P.S. Companies does not add DRM against pirates, every game get cracked anyway, but against their buyers.
I would not be surprised the game is being downloaded by people who cannot wait for the release date in their region.
My boxed version will not arrive until tomorrow or the day after that and reading all the stories about the game makes it a bit tempting to download it.
That's also a certain percentage.

I have to add that I don't really know of ANY game where people bought TWO copies of it for the sake of dev-support. I'm one of them (Boxed CE which won't arrive untill end of May and the GOG version to like... play right now!)

There are several user comments out there on various forums/blogs/reviews that state to have bought two copies. It's crazy.
DalamarNL: I would not be surprised the game is being downloaded by people who cannot wait for the release date in their region.
My boxed version will not arrive until tomorrow or the day after that and reading all the stories about the game makes it a bit tempting to download it.
I have downloaded it even though I have preordered the boxed version LOL , so I can play it sooner!
For me it was clear to buy the Game since I heard that the GOG Version does not use DRM or copy protection in any way. Such a trust must be rewarded.

CDProject is trusting all the Players. And I did my part for honoring that.

I bought the Game the first Day.

I hope all other players appreciate this trust too.