It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Hello!

I do not know whether or not I have been solving the problem using a convoluted solution so if there is someone here that knows better and has a more immediate way to have the game play with a decent MIDI output rather than the disgraceful setting the *GOG game ships with* please share.

On a Windows 7 64 bit system, what I needed to do in order to have good MIDI quality for the game was the following:

1) I installed VirtualMidiSynth (available here)

2) I configured it using the excellent Arachno Soundfont (available here) choosing CoolSoft VirtualMidiSynth as default MIDI output device in the MIDI Mapper window

3) I run the game's "Launch Settings" and configure the Audio

4) In the MIDI option, I choose General MIDI and set its port to 330 (default) then I save the settings and exit DosBox

5) I run DosBox.exe and obtain the MIDI device list by typing mixer /listmidi - in my case Coolsoft Virtual Midi Synth has position 1

6) I open the dosbox_xwingcd_conf fille in the same folder with Notepad and under [MIDI] I set midiconfig=1 (the right number for it is the one from step 5)

7) I can now play the game with General MIDI music quality
Post edited February 16, 2016 by Salk
You can just set DosBOX MIDI to windows default and then select virtualmidisith as the default MIDI device, I never used all the stuff with numbers.

I don't know what is the default GOG setting for MIDi, perhaps Adlib or Soundblaster?

Fortunately I still have the original working CD and it was easy setting it up for DosBox.
Post edited February 15, 2016 by Det_Bullock
Salk: 5) At prompt, I get the list of the MIDI devices of my computer typing mixer /listMIDI to figure what number the VirtualMidiSynth is associated with (in my case 1)
10) I open the dosbox_xwingcd_conf fille in the same folder with Notepad and under [MIDI] I set midiconfig=1 (the right number for it is the one from step 7)
Now... I am no computer expert but I wonder: does one user need to go through all this to be able to enjoy the music the way it is supposed to be?
Post edited February 16, 2016 by Gydion
That link is very useful, especially Maz.588's video ttps://www.gog.com/forum/star_wars_xwing_and_tie_fighter_series/get_dramatically_better_midi_music/post49]here [/url], where he shows how different soundfonts sound.

It made me realize that with my method I only get the second rendition (GM - with Microsoft GS )! On top of that, I could have more easily configured the sound by running GOG's own "Launch Settings"! I must have been blind for not having seen it. I am trying to investigate why.

Thanks!
Post edited February 16, 2016 by Salk