It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Current info I got on this: GOG is aware and working on this.
PatTheMav: Current info I got on this: GOG is aware and working on this.
Your source? :)
PatTheMav: Current info I got on this: GOG is aware and working on this.
Nergal01: Your source? :)
Bluntly asked a GOG support rep about this. :D
PatTheMav: Bluntly asked a GOG support rep about this. :D
Awesome! Thank you.

Ok, let's see what they can do for us. :)
A glimmer of hope.

And I really hope this works out, because I could happily donate my German CD-versions of both X-Wing and TIE Fighter.
this should definitely be included
But the 1994 version has no textures and runs in VGA resoluion while the 1998 is textured and in SVGA. So, except for the sound the 1994 version appears inferior to me. Not sure why everyone is so psyched about the 1994 version. Don't get me wrong, I'm VERY much in favor for the inclusion of it - I'm just wondering.
Post edited November 08, 2014 by Captain_Shiny
Captain_Shiny: But the 1994 version has no textures and runs in VGA resoluion while the 1998 is textured and in SVGA. So, except for the sound the 1994 version appears inferior to me. Not sure why everyone is so psyched about the 1994 version. Don't get me wrong, I'm VERY much in favor for the inclusion of it - I'm just wondering.
You can find plenty of people discussing the virtues of the different versions, but I'd say you hit essentially the nail on the head. A lot of us would like the full voice briefings and the iMuse music.

I also really dislike the engine noise sounds of the X-Wing vs TIE Fighter engine. Its just too loud!
Post edited November 08, 2014 by Alyosha
Captain_Shiny: But the 1994 version has no textures and runs in VGA resoluion while the 1998 is textured and in SVGA. So, except for the sound the 1994 version appears inferior to me. Not sure why everyone is so psyched about the 1994 version. Don't get me wrong, I'm VERY much in favor for the inclusion of it - I'm just wondering.
I think a lot of people prioritize the dynamic music over fancier graphics. The canned looping music, missing music in most of the concourse, and the new 3D rendered concourse graphics make the game feel like it has a lot less soul to many people. I think the fancier graphics just make the rest of the game feel a lot more dated, like the less precise physics engine, big hitboxes, lack of voice acting in-mission and how slowly lasers shoot compared to XvT and XWA.

I would love if the DOS version had SVGA resolution, though. The Mac version did but they never backported that to X-Wing's CD release for who knows why.
Post edited November 09, 2014 by Tarvis
The iMuse music is good first because it's dynamic -- which means you can tell what's happening when -- but second because it doesn't lock up your computer. Back when XvT came out and the games were using redbook audio, it was cool to have the actual film tracks playing. The problem came in, though, when you had to access the CD to shift tracks. That would cause the game to lock up, and then rapidly speed up for a second, which could mean you crash into a ship you're flying near, or a missile hits you or whatever. That got a lot of people wishing for the old iMuse system.

In my opinion, the "best of all worlds" would be redesigning both games on the XWA engine, with iMuse using digitized music pieces. Of course, that's not gonna happen...ever...but that would be ideal.

Regardless, it's a mistake by GOG not to include the '94/'95 DOS CD-Rom versions with this package, so that those who want can play using those versions.
Solo4114: In my opinion, the "best of all worlds" would be redesigning both games on the XWA engine, with iMuse using digitized music pieces. Of course, that's not gonna happen...ever...but that would be ideal.
As long as it uses specifically designed cockpit and hud graphics for each ship unlike XWA's generic 2D overlay, I agree. That significantly detracts from the feel, I think.
Solo4114: In my opinion, the "best of all worlds" would be redesigning both games on the XWA engine, with iMuse using digitized music pieces. Of course, that's not gonna happen...ever...but that would be ideal.
Tarvis: As long as it uses specifically designed cockpit and hud graphics for each ship unlike XWA's generic 2D overlay, I agree. That significantly detracts from the feel, I think.
Are you sure you aren't thinking of XVT? I thought XWA had full 3D cockpits? It's been a while since I played, though.
Tarvis: As long as it uses specifically designed cockpit and hud graphics for each ship unlike XWA's generic 2D overlay, I agree. That significantly detracts from the feel, I think.
Solo4114: Are you sure you aren't thinking of XVT? I thought XWA had full 3D cockpits? It's been a while since I played, though.
It had 3D cockpits, but they had non-functional instruments on their dash boards, just cosmetic 3D objects and lights put in front of the camera. You couldn't look at the cockpit and get any information.
Solo4114: Are you sure you aren't thinking of XVT? I thought XWA had full 3D cockpits? It's been a while since I played, though.
Azrapse: It had 3D cockpits, but they had non-functional instruments on their dash boards, just cosmetic 3D objects and lights put in front of the camera. You couldn't look at the cockpit and get any information.
Right, I remember that. But they weren't 2D, as I recall. XvT, I think, had 2D cockpits, like the previous games.
Azrapse: It had 3D cockpits, but they had non-functional instruments on their dash boards, just cosmetic 3D objects and lights put in front of the camera. You couldn't look at the cockpit and get any information.
Solo4114: Right, I remember that. But they weren't 2D, as I recall. XvT, I think, had 2D cockpits, like the previous games.
XWA had full 3D cockpits which as mentioned previously were non-functional, with a functional 2D HUD that was overlayed so that it was always visible. It absolutely made the experience less immersive though since the game information was fed through a very bare-bones HUD instead of any kind of instrumentation.