It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

First of all, I find it great that some of my favourite Video-Games ever have been released here on GOG.

My question is: Does the X-Wing package include the CD-ROM edition from 1994 as of now? If not, are there any plans to include it in the future? From all X-Wing versions, this one is my favourite.
No posts in this topic were marked as the solution yet. If you can help, add your reply
This is not the 1994 CD ROM edition, so no full voice acting or engine enhancements, I'm sorry to say. I also hope that that version will be added to GOG eventually!
Seconding. We need both voice acting and dynamic music!

Other things wrong with the 1998 rerelease:

- Concourse backgrounds are redrawn real ugly
- Can't pick player profiles as wingmen
- 2nd joy button flight modifier from TIE means you can't roll and pitch at the same time
- Landing cutscenes don't show damage taken on mission
- No manual laser convergence range setting!!!!!!!!!!!
Post edited October 28, 2014 by duuma2000
Thirding. Please GOG, make it so.
duuma2000: - No manual laser convergence range setting!!!!!!!!!!!
Maybe I misremember something, but wasn't the laser convergence setting part of X-Wing Alliance only? I don't remember X-Wing, TIE Fighter and X-Wing vs TIE Fighter having it.

But I agree on the Win95 versions of X-Wing and TIE Fighter. They had some good ideas but I think those ports were released too early. So many things are missing.

I also wonder how Totally Games was able to implement the iMuse-System to X-Wing Alliance but not to the Windows Ports of X-Wing and TIE Fighter.
I enthusiastically purchased both this and TIE Fighter today, only to discover that BOTH of them don't include the definitive DOS CD-ROM editions?

This is a huge disappointment :(
Well, both X-Wing and TIE need to be updated to their CD-ROM versions, without doubt.
Alyosha: This is not the 1994 CD ROM edition, so no full voice acting or engine enhancements, I'm sorry to say. I also hope that that version will be added to GOG eventually!
Ah nuts, this doesn't have the CD-Rom version additions? Well poo. I guess I will still be using the original disks then. *sigh*
duuma2000: - No manual laser convergence range setting!!!!!!!!!!!
FekLeyrTarg: Maybe I misremember something, but wasn't the laser convergence setting part of X-Wing Alliance only? I don't remember X-Wing, TIE Fighter and X-Wing vs TIE Fighter having it.

But I agree on the Win95 versions of X-Wing and TIE Fighter. They had some good ideas but I think those ports were released too early. So many things are missing.

I also wonder how Totally Games was able to implement the iMuse-System to X-Wing Alliance but not to the Windows Ports of X-Wing and TIE Fighter.
I think you're right about the laser convergence, it was never a part of X-Wing or TIE-Fighter.

The reason for no iMuse in the Windows 95 versions was never because it was technically difficult or impossible to have iMuse in them, rather that in the mid to late 90s everyone was salivating over the possibility of CD-quality sound on in a computer game and many many other games from that era (1996-2000) did the same thing.

At the time, it seemed like such a good idea, but like so many good ideas it wasn't always appropriate. So it was ditched in XWA, but Lucasarts clearly didn't want to spend money on patching the Windows re-releases of X-Wing and TIE Fighter to include iMuse.
Laserschwert: Well, both X-Wing and TIE need to be updated to their CD-ROM versions, without doubt.
Agreed, but I really do appreciate getting the floppy versions, they have their charm!

I'm sure gog.com will include the CD-ROM collectors' editions before long, if they possibly can.
Alyosha: This is not the 1994 CD ROM edition, so no full voice acting or engine enhancements, I'm sorry to say. I also hope that that version will be added to GOG eventually!
cschock: Ah nuts, this doesn't have the CD-Rom version additions? Well poo. I guess I will still be using the original disks then. *sigh*
I think you understand the distinction, but just in case anyone else reads this and is confused, the GOG release does include the 1998 CD-ROM version, but not the 1994 CD-ROM version. This is the case for both the X-Wing and TIE Fighter releases (TIE Fighter had a 1995 Collector's CD-ROM version). The differences between the versions are better described in other forum threads.

I'm still excited and happy to have picked up both X-Wing and TIE Fighter today. GOG has a good track record for getting more extras, so maybe we'll get it in the future.
Post edited October 28, 2014 by Alyosha
cschock: Ah nuts, this doesn't have the CD-Rom version additions? Well poo. I guess I will still be using the original disks then. *sigh*
Alyosha: I think you understand the distinction, but just in case anyone else reads this and is confused, the GOG release does include the 1998 CD-ROM version, but not the 1994 CD-ROM version. This is the case for both the X-Wing and TIE Fighter releases (TIE Fighter had a 1995 Collector's CD-ROM version). The differences between the versions are better described in other forum threads.

I'm still excited and happy to have picked up both X-Wing and TIE Fighter today. GOG has a good track record for getting more extras, so maybe we'll get it in the future.
Yes, I did understand the distinction, but thank you for clarifying for others, my use of "CD-ROM version" was very imprecise!
X-wing description on GOG store page says "Includes STAR WARS™: X-Wing Collector's CD-ROM and all Tour of Duty expansions: Imperial Pursuit and B-Wing in both - 1994 (DOS) and 1998 (Windows) versions!"

That should probably be fixed, Collector's CD-ROM version means the 1994 version, not the 1998 version (aka X-Wing Collector Series -version) or the 1993 original. ([url=http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars:_X-Wing]http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars:_X-Wing[/url])

Even better would be if the DOS-CD versions of both games could be added :)
Post edited October 28, 2014 by Marcomies
Marcomies: X-wing description on GOG store page says "Includes STAR WARS™: X-Wing Collector's CD-ROM and all Tour of Duty expansions: Imperial Pursuit and B-Wing in both - 1994 (DOS) and 1998 (Windows) versions!"

That should probably be fixed, Collector's CD-ROM version means the 1994 version, not the 1998 version (aka X-Wing Collector Series -version) or the 1993 original. ([url=http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars:_X-Wing]http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars:_X-Wing[/url])

Even better would be if the DOS-CD versions of both games could be added :)
Yes, I definitely agree. Right now we have two versions of each of the games, which is great, but the third version of each that we're missing is the best, and it's the one that the store page says we get... :(
I'm actually quite content to hope for the content to be patched in at some point; gog really is good about getting extras and they did patch in the Wing Commander 1+2 expansions later on; the initial release was just the base games.
As long as it's not some sort of rights issue I think we'll see the best versions of X-Wing and TIE-fighter added at some point in the future.