So... The fix works only for windows 7 or work for windows 8.1 too? I finished commandos 1 and his expansion and commandos 2 so many times and only a few days ago i found this game... OH GOD, I NEED TO PLAY THIS GAME!!
Ok Guys, i'm here to help, all you need to do is this:
1) Download the following... http://18.104.22.168/SHARE/rpollice/DSWin8.zip
1.1) Unrar the downloaded file (DSWin8.zip) and you should have two files in the extracted folder (ddraw.dll and aqrit.cfg).
1.2) Place these two files into your "Steam\SteamApps\Common\Robin Hood" directory (in with the game.exe).
2) Download V2_02_90_build.rar of DxWnd from... http://sourceforge.net/projects/dxwnd/files/Latest%20build
(I've been advised by other users that the newer versions don't work for the purpose of running this game.)
3) Unrar and inside the extracted foler and run "dxwnd.exe" as administrator. Go to "Edit->Add", in parameter "Name" set the name as Robin Hood.
4) In parameter "Path" choose the .exe file of the game (in my case it looks like Steam\SteamApps\common\Robin Hood\game.exe).
5) In the "Main" tab, under "Generic" untick "Run in Window".
5.1) Also in "Main" tab, under "Position" set "Window initial position & size" to X=0 and Y=0. Set "W" and "H" to your native resolution (in my case that's W=1920 and H=1080).
6) In the "Video" tab, under "Windows handling" tick "Modal Style" and under "Color management" tick "Set 16BPP RGB565 encoding".
7) Next in "Input" tab tick "Hide Cursor". If the cursor flickers on the main screen of the game don't worry, it works fine in-game.
8) Lastly click "OK" in dxwnd, if all is good it will show a green circle before the name of the game in DxWnd. Launch the game in Steam (Not in DxWnd itself, DxWnd runs in the backround!). You may get an error/alert that says something like "SetHook: proc=GetAvailableVidMem(D) oldhook=26b3e0". If this happens just press the Return key on your keyboard. If you can't select the error/alert window use Alt+Tab keys to cycle through the open windows. This part is just a bit of a trial and error, I don't know why it happens but you can get past it.
9) You will need to start DxWnd every time before you launch the game. When you close dxwnd, answer "Yes" to save the options that you changed. That's it...
If need more help, feel free add me in the steam (/SmokeApe)
This is, without a doubt, the best solution I could find. Amazing job, friend.