It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

I play games on a 1080p TV and I'm having trouble getting NWN Diamond to run that way. The patched GOG version has the option, but when I select it my TV says the input resolution is unsupported. If I run the game in windowed mode I can get it as large as 1400x900, but anything further just goes to fullscreen and gives me the error above.

Any ideas? I'm on Windows 8.1.
No posts in this topic were marked as the solution yet. If you can help, add your reply
It sounds like the problem is with the TV and not the game. If it doesn't support 1080p that's about that. Have you tried using a smaller resolution with the same aspect ratio?
urknighterrant: It sounds like the problem is with the TV and not the game. If it doesn't support 1080p that's about that. Have you tried using a smaller resolution with the same aspect ratio?
It's a 1080p TV lol. I have played literally hundreds of games at 1920x1080 on it. This is the first time any game has ever forced a resolution which is not supported. It's definitely not an issue with the TV.

All resolutions under 1080p work fine.
Post edited December 27, 2013 by rolyatkcinmai
That's bizarre. And that's the message you got? Word for word?

"the input resolution is unsupported"

Because that message would be coming from the TV. If it was coming from the game, or from your computer, it would be referring to the output, not the input.
urknighterrant: That's bizarre. And that's the message you got? Word for word?

"the input resolution is unsupported"

Because that message would be coming from the TV. If it was coming from the game, or from your computer, it would be referring to the output, not the input.
I understand the message is coming from the TV. The game is clearly trying to output a resolution which is not actually 1920x1080 (despite the config reading as such). I was just curious if anyone had run into this with NWN before.
Is the refresh rate in nwn.ini set to 60hz?
olnorton: Is the refresh rate in nwn.ini set to 60hz?
It is, yeah. I even tried 59 and no luck.
WGSF's NWN Widescreen Summary shows NWN able to run at 1920x1080 so it suggests the issue is with your NWN configuration.

* Make sure that you are *not* running in Windowed mode (i.e. set FullScreen=1 and AllowWindowedMode=0 in [Display Options] in the nwn.ini file);
* Set your Height and Width to 1080 and 1920 respectively in nwn.ini manually;
* Then try starting NWN.
Post edited December 29, 2013 by AstralWanderer
AstralWanderer: WGSF's NWN Widescreen Summary shows NWN able to run at 1920x1080 so it suggests the issue is with your NWN configuration.

* Make sure that you are *not* running in Windowed mode (i.e. set FullScreen=1 and AllowWindowedMode=0 in [Display Options] in the nwn.ini file);
* Set your Height and Width to 1080 and 1920 respectively in nwn.ini manually;
* Then try starting NWN.
Yeah. I've done all this.

Thanks for the help, everyone. I guess I'm just not going to play NWN at this point. No big deal.
Might Alt-Tabbing out of NWN (when you get the resolution error) back to Windows desktop and then back into NWN make any difference?

Also what graphics card are you using?
AstralWanderer: Might Alt-Tabbing out of NWN (when you get the resolution error) back to Windows desktop and then back into NWN make any difference?

Also what graphics card are you using?
Yeah I can do that and it just cycles between working and not working (works fine when on desktop, input fails when game comes up).

I'm using a GTX 780.
Thanks for the info - a few other things to try:

Please confirm that you can run the Windows desktop at 1920x1080, and try running NWN with the desktop set to that size if you haven't already.

Check that you are using a recent version of Nvidia's Forceware drivers (though they have had performance problems with OpenGL software).

Change compatibility settings for nwnmain.exe - Windows XP would seem a safe bet.

Ensure that you have Aspect Ratio scaling with the GPU doing the scaling selected in Nvidia's Control Panel (instructions here) and that any monitor scaling is switched off.

Try creating a custom resolution in Nvidia Control Panel for 1920x1080 (instructions here).

The reason why NWN is giving you problems while other games work seems likely to be its use of OpenGL (most other games use a version of DirectX). Running another OpenGL game and seeing if it gives similar problems (Doom 3 and Quake 4 being two other examples) may help pinpoint the cause of your problem.
AstralWanderer: Thanks for the info - a few other things to try:

Please confirm that you can run the Windows desktop at 1920x1080, and try running NWN with the desktop set to that size if you haven't already.

Check that you are using a recent version of Nvidia's Forceware drivers (though they have had performance problems with OpenGL software).

Change compatibility settings for nwnmain.exe - Windows XP would seem a safe bet.

Ensure that you have Aspect Ratio scaling with the GPU doing the scaling selected in Nvidia's Control Panel (instructions here) and that any monitor scaling is switched off.

Try creating a custom resolution in Nvidia Control Panel for 1920x1080 (instructions here).

The reason why NWN is giving you problems while other games work seems likely to be its use of OpenGL (most other games use a version of DirectX). Running another OpenGL game and seeing if it gives similar problems (Doom 3 and Quake 4 being two other examples) may help pinpoint the cause of your problem.
My desktop is 1920x1080 and GeForce experience says I have the most recent drivers (this month).

Compatibility mode is set to XP SP3 and I changed scaling to GPU in the Nvidia control panel. Neither seem to help. Creating a custom resolution doesn't seem to change anything either. :/

I just downloaded Doom 3 (non-BFG edition) on Steam, changed it to 1080p, and restarted it and it seems to be working fine.

I really appreciate the help.
Another suggestion which is a bit of a long shot - create a custom resolution slightly less than 1920x1080 (say 1870x1030). Test it by setting your desktop to that resolution and if it works, edit nwn.ini to use it and see how that goes.

Final suggestion, try another means of connecting your monitor if possible (e.g. if you're using HDMI try DisplayPort or DVI).

Sorry I can't be of much more help but I've never encountered an issue quite like this. One point to clarify though: you mention NWN running in Windowed mode at 1400x900 - have you ever managed to get it working fullscreen at any resolution?
Post edited December 30, 2013 by AstralWanderer
Try at 720p, and if it works pretend its 1080p. :)
It's not like theres an ungodly amount of detail in the game anyways, not losing all that much.