It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

AstralWanderer: Another suggestion which is a bit of a long shot - create a custom resolution slightly less than 1920x1080 (say 1870x1030). Test it by setting your desktop to that resolution and if it works, edit nwn.ini to use it and see how that goes.

Final suggestion, try another means of connecting your monitor if possible (e.g. if you're using HDMI try DisplayPort or DVI).

Sorry I can't be of much more help but I've never encountered an issue quite like this. One point to clarify though: you mention NWN running in Windowed mode at 1400x900 - have you ever managed to get it working fullscreen at any resolution?
Yeah I can get it to run at 1680x1050 fullscreen which is less than ideal, but works. I appreciate all the help you've given me. DVI might fix the problem (using HDMI), but I'm not sure NWN is worth going back behind my TV :P I'll just play at a lower res. Hopefully NWN2 will be fine at 1080.

Jarmo: Try at 720p, and if it works pretend its 1080p. :)
It's not like theres an ungodly amount of detail in the game anyways, not losing all that much.
Yeah that's my plan now. Not a big deal, for sure. It was just an odd problem and I've never encountered it in all my years of PC gaming haha.
This problem happens with some games when using a hdtv-monitor combination.

The thing is that these hdtv monitors support many refresh rates (30p, 24p,25p, 29p,50p, 50i, 60p, 60i, and resolutions and some games simply don't correctly apply the refresh rate.
Post edited April 29, 2014 by ancalimon
rolyatkcinmai: I play games on a 1080p TV and I'm having trouble getting NWN Diamond to run that way. The patched GOG version has the option, but when I select it my TV says the input resolution is unsupported. If I run the game in windowed mode I can get it as large as 1400x900, but anything further just goes to fullscreen and gives me the error above.

Any ideas? I'm on Windows 8.1.
Hi! a bit late but i had the same issue. What finally seems to be the fix for me was going to the compatibility settings and remove the check at "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings"

when starting a game, the screen is black but sound is rolling. simple alt+tab and the picture follows.

.. so basically enable display scaling on high dpi settings. it is enabled by default it would seem. I'm using a 7870hd

hope it works, cheers.
Post edited February 11, 2015 by bobbylambo
Oddly, I don't have any problems playing the game at 1080p. It just sort of "works". (shrug) I'm playing on an ASUS (k53ta-bbr6) laptop with an A-6 CPU as well as a discrete graphics card, but have used Catalyst to switch it so my discrete card is pumping out the HDMI cable. That's the only difference I can think of.
Same problem as OP here. Using 1680x1050 on a 1080P Asus monitor (HDMI). Whenever I try to play at 1920x1080, all I see is a message on my monitor stating "Signal out of range". I don't have this problem with any other game or application. It works at the lower resolution but the fix is less than ideal.
jspuckett: Same problem as OP here. Using 1680x1050 on a 1080P Asus monitor (HDMI). Whenever I try to play at 1920x1080, all I see is a message on my monitor stating "Signal out of range". I don't have this problem with any other game or application. It works at the lower resolution but the fix is less than ideal.
For all those problems, most likely the monitor/graphic-card combinations is not covered in the corresponding inf-files for the requested refresh-rate. Those two inf-files (kind of) create a table with matching combinations, if for any reason somebody forgot to add this combo, it ain't working....

few steps to do without modifying any file first:

try changing the refresh rate in windows.
>>IF<< you are sure the monitor can run the requested modes (refresh as well as resolution) untick the box in properties: hide modes not supported by this monitor. (to find those, check under properties, details and select inf-name)

If you want to change the inf-files, I suggest only modifying the monitor one. The inf-files for the GPU are mostly overbloated as they do contain not longer only ONE 'table' but for a range of cards.

As indicated in post 12, sometimes you can run specific settings for game depending on your GPU-software....

Otherwise you would need to check both inf-files for the monitor as well as for the GPU for the mode you are looking for......sometimes easy, sometimes not....and as I don't know which file you are using, no direct advice I can give you there. It is all just about matching those two files.....(mostly)....

In my case the corresponding line looks like:
[GL2460.AddReg]
HKR,"MODES\1920,1080",Mode1,,"30.0-83.0,50.0-76.0,+,+"
HKR,,ICMProfile,0,"GL2460.icm"

A nice straight forward selection......all modes possible, some others don't have this....

You can also find inf-files on the web, generic ones supporting 1080p on all monitors, but be careful when using those. I always modified the supplied ones.

Last point, out of range normally means that the GPU did disable the signal and the monitor is just not receiving anything anymore. You would get the same message if you just disconnect the cable ;)
(Yes you 'could' get the same message if the monitor would receive an unsupported signal)

Disclaimer ;) changing the inf-files is done on your own risk ;)