Steps so far:
1a) WinXP Service Pack 2 mode - Seemed to make a big difference
1b) Administrative mode
1c) Disable full-screen optimizations - Seemed to make it closer to a reasonable frame rate
1d) Set High DPI Scaling to System (Enhanced) - Unsure if there's a difference; at the least, did not hurt
2) Install latest NVIDIA drivers
3) Intel's driver update utility just cycled through "download -> install -> ask for restart -> download -> ...", so was not useful in my case, unfortunately.
4) NVIDIA control panel:
4a) Set high-performance mode for nwmain.exe - No apparent difference, but it might help someone else.
4b) Set OpenGL graphics to use graphics card for nwmain.exe - No apparent difference, but it might help someone else.
5) Disable GeForce Experience In-Game Overlay - This seemed to make some noticeable difference
6) It may also help to turn off Windows 10's Game Bar, but mine was already off.
At this point, my frame rate is acceptable. The test scene is my wizard, panther familiar, Tomi Undergallows, and a Summon Monster II (boar) at the gates of the Peninsula District during the prison outbreak in OC1.
Also, if you want to play on Windows XP, I would recommend against buying a laptop. Instead, buy VMWare Workstation Player. Or use the free version.
No effect whatsoever.
New post, because > 5 min, I guess. Also, want to make sure people see this.
As per this thread:
1) Set "Client CPU Affinity=-2" in nwnplayer.ini
2) Set sound to use "Miles Fast 2D Positional Audio" in the advanced sound settings
With all changes, game now plays smoothly, with no apparent lag.
No apparent effect.
When I opened task manager, I noticed that Neverwinter Nights was not using more than 0.7% of the processor, but fiddling with affinity and the like only made it crash.