Add me to the people that prefer DosBox over Scummvm whatever the second is. Sometimes I play on android, for which Magic Dosbox does the magic for me. I could run through Windows 95 but that didn't work. Lands of Lore 2 works perfectly under Dosbox, as it could still use its executables.
And I bought the game (Kyrandia 3) not only because I like it but because it seems to be full. When I played and completed it, aside from reading how to play through (which I would figure out myself now), it was without sound and audio. Now the GoG version should have it... well
I do not appreciate monopolizing their way like that 'Force us to use their app,strip any executables, even for dosbox, nope only scummvm) - and no I do not need all the Startup folder installs.
UPDATE for DOSBOX:
Looks like im unexpectedly quick figuring out to make games work on DosBox with little to no research and I need Kyr3 with sound because in the far past I played this without any sound, speech or anything. Here is how :)
- You need the DOS version of the game with its exec's. The one that worked for me can be found abandonwaredos. com/abandonware-game.php?abandonware=Legend+of+Kyrandia+3%3A+Malcolm%27s+Revenge&gid=1450 (remove space before COM). The file is Malcoms_revenge and as you can see it's only 30MB because a lot of the audio is missing and dialogs.
- Unpack that version from the file you saved, you will use it as a base and get the files from GOG over here.
- Install your GOG version, I order the short version and the GOG version by file types. In the Malcolms_Revenge
- do you see any AUD files? that's right there are none, copy them from the GOG folder to Malcolms_Revenge. TITLE1.AUD may exist but is 0byte filesize, so copy that one too from the GOG. PAK files are good.
- Ignore any saves, scummvm folders, goglog, gog ico, webcache and such related files you do not need to copy those
- Copy all TLK, all VQA and WESTWOOD.001 files from GOG into Malcolms_Revenge
Your game has the files to run with sound.
- For first run, run the setup while in DosBox, even tho I mostly use Sound Blaster Pro 2.0, you should select Sound Blaster in the setup to hear music and audio and speech and yep it is just like how it should sound.
- Run KYRANDI3.BAT, and while Intro does not load as if missing (there is K3Intro0.VQA), at least all the rest is fine. Note: There could be better versions of Kyrandia 3 but some require windows and would not work at all.
For Android (Magic Dosbox)
Create a profile for the game, usually 16 MB RAM, your card can be Sould Blaster Pro 2.0 but remember the game's Setup should use Sound Blaster (it does not detect Sound Blaster Pro)
I also mount the game's folder as CD in Magic DosBox, in PC's DosBox there are commands to do the same, in case it asks for a CD.
Post edited July 06, 2019 by Impc7r