It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Indie Devs! Join the DRM-free revolution, reach more people, get an advance on royalties.

GOG.com, in our continued efforts to bring you all the best games in history for PC and Mac, is looking to make it easier for indie game devs to submit their game to GOG.com. To that end, we have launched a new portal on GOG.com today, containing the essential information on the way we work with our indie partners, and an easy entry form providing direct contact with our team. All this, and more, found under the URL:

www.gog.com/indie

For those of you who are fans of GOG.com the service, this doesn't mean much of a change, except that we hope we will have ever more exciting indie games to release while we continue our schedule of regular awesome classics as well. For those of you who are developing games, though, we hope to make this a painless process where you can be sure that you will hear honest feedback from us about your game and where we want it on GOG.com.

We are also disclosing our revenue share--a 70/30 share, as is industry standard--unless we offer you an advance on your royalties, in which case it's a 60/40 share until we have recouped the cost of your advance. There's been some speculation on the part of developers in the past as to what it is that we offer indie devs, and we wanted to make sure that was clear up front. We've invited some of our indie dev friends to talk briefly about the experience of putting their game on GOG,com, and here's what they had to say:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/oqIc7vix2YU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

If you're a fan of classic games, brace yourself for a thundering great RPG on Thursday. If you're a dev, fill out the form today, to join the DRM-free revolution, reach more people with your work, and possibly get an advance on royalties!
Post edited August 20, 2013 by TheEnigmaticT
shmerl: I must have missed that, but what's a TET you were referring to?
TET stands for TheEnigmaticT, our head of marketing and the voice of This Week on GOG.
Post edited August 20, 2013 by JudasIscariot
JudasIscariot: TET stands for TheEnigmaticT, our head of marketing and the voice of This Week on GOG.
Ah, thanks :)
JudasIscariot: TET stands for TheEnigmaticT, our head of marketing and the voice of This Week on GOG.
shmerl: Ah, thanks :)
Quite welcome :)
Trilarion: As long as there are at least one or two non-indie releases every week I'm perfectly fine with everything else. (Not so interested in indies.)
The indie games of today will be the good old games of tomorrow.

Ten years from now, you'll be glad GOG decided to add indie games to the catalogue, so they're archived and have a place somewhere for future gamers.
Im all for GOG getting a bigger library to choose from. Especially if it is new and recent titles. Most of what I buy from GOG tends to lean toward the indie side (vs the old side) However, personally I can only speak for myself but I really REALLY hope GOG is more stringent with what they will sell compared to Steam, Desura and the litany of other indie vendors out there.

There are entirely too many indie games out there most of which would be better used as a tech demo to present to a bigger studio instead of trying to make a profit directly from it. It does not take long before all that "indie goodness" turns into a slog through a quagmire of practically indistinguishable repetition. I just do not see that being good for GOG, or the indie developers in the long run.
ZivilSword: Bastion was already two times on a Humble Bundle. I am sure it will come again until Christmas 2014. :)
shmerl: It's in the Humble Store for the regular price: http://www.humblebundle.com/store/bastion
I know that, its also at GG....but i want it here
edit:
that and many more good indie games ;-)
Post edited August 20, 2013 by Schnuff
Haaha, what's a TET?! :D

(I know people can't possibly know it from the get-go, but it's still funny xD).
thelovebat: ... The indie games of today will be the good old games of tomorrow.

Ten years from now, you'll be glad GOG decided to add indie games to the catalogue, so they're archived and have a place somewhere for future gamers.
Not sure about both. Indie games are different from the conventional games, small and very often plattformers and quite often of poor quality. Maybe many of them will not become classics. I don't care much about them now.

I'm really more interested in somewhat older but popular games. The AA-AAA of yesteryear. That's what interests me most. If they never come to GOG I have to get them somewhere else.

I am mostly indifferent towards indies and much more interested in non-indies.
Post edited August 20, 2013 by Trilarion
viranimus: Im all for GOG getting a bigger library to choose from. Especially if it is new and recent titles. Most of what I buy from GOG tends to lean toward the indie side (vs the old side) However, personally I can only speak for myself but I really REALLY hope GOG is more stringent with what they will sell compared to Steam, Desura and the litany of other indie vendors out there.

There are entirely too many indie games out there most of which would be better used as a tech demo to present to a bigger studio instead of trying to make a profit directly from it. It does not take long before all that "indie goodness" turns into a slog through a quagmire of practically indistinguishable repetition. I just do not see that being good for GOG, or the indie developers in the long run.
True, I'd agree that their should be a pretty high bar for the criteria so that there aren't numerous games which don't have anything to offer other than a name and the fact that they're developed by one indie studio or another; however, I think the quagmire of indistinguishable repetition really comes from derivative titles, like when some of the classics in the GOG catalog first came out they were followed closely by sometimes dozens of look-a-likes with shoddy quality. Sometimes a few that copied the original game's idea actually were good in and of themselves and in some cases improved upon the ideas. Still see this often today, but I think the real indistinguishable games are many of the top shelf publisher offerings today in that ModernShooterA, ModernShooterB, ModernShooterA-2 / DrivingGameA, DrivingGameB / MMOa, MMOb / RPGa, RPGb, RPGb-2 could oftentimes each be the same game with a different name and sometimes graphical improvements for the latest hardware, even if it hasn't gotten to the point of sports game with a year in the title. There seem to always be a few exceptions that offer something new or interesting whether it be story, comedy, novel game mechanic, hybrid combination of genres but for the most part it seems like almost all non-indie games lack imagination or creativity and while they may be fun to play for a time if you like that style won't be something you will want to come back to play again in a few years.

I think indie games don't have that issue, that while graphically many are not super impressive they are the games today that are exploring new ideas and game mechanics and hopefully the good ones will rise to the top and be classics in their own right in years ahead.
Trilarion: Not sure about both. Indie games are different from the conventional games, small and very often plattformers and quite often of poor quality. Maybe many of them will not become classics. I don't care much about them now.
Really? I don't think you can qualify Torment - The Tides of Numenera, or Divinity Original Sin as platformers of poor quality. Though both can be probably qualified as "indies".
shmerl: Really? I don't think you can qualify Torment - The Tides of Numenera, or Divinity Original Sin as platformers of poor quality. Though both can be probably qualified as "indies".
Are they released yet?
keeveek: Original Sin should come out this year I think, and Tides of Numenera in 2015. What was your point? Does it make them less indie or something? They were brought as examples which demonstrate that "indie" is a broad definition and is by no means limited to low quality platformers.

Other examples which already came out - Torchlight, Amnesia, Legend of Grimrock and etc. etc. They don't look low quality to me, and not platformers either.
Post edited August 20, 2013 by shmerl
shmerl: What was your point?
I just wouldn't judge the games quality this long before release.
I expect them to be good, knowing their developers and what they demonstrated so far, especially the Divinity Original Sin. Surely, to really evaluate them we'll have to wait.

Example: https://youtube.com/watch?v=h64dENQZcY0
Post edited August 20, 2013 by shmerl
Trilarion: Not sure about both. Indie games are different from the conventional games, small and very often plattformers and quite often of poor quality. Maybe many of them will not become classics. I don't care much about them now.
shmerl: Really? I don't think you can qualify Torment - The Tides of Numenera, or Divinity Original Sin as platformers of poor quality. Though both can be probably qualified as "indies".
I don't know anything about Divinity Original Sin but The Tides of Numenera is hardly a Indie in my book. That's a small to medium size gaming company working on it. Don't get me wrong, I am delighted they are making the game but they are definitely not an indie.

Zafehouse Diaries and Cat Lady are examples of indie IMO.