It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Please take a survey and tell us what you think!

Last week, we launched the first ever DLC on GOG.com (for tactical-strategy game Omerta: City of Gangsters). The launch was a bit rushed on our end, and we did a bad job communicating what it was, and why we're adding it to the store. That was a screw-up on our part, and we're sorry. We've read all of your comments (and there were a lot!) and it's lead us to wonder about DLC and other new models of gaming that are happening right now. There's a survey at the bottom of this newspost, where we'd like to hear more about what you think GOG.com should do in the future, but don't jump down there just yet.

First, we wanted to explain the reasoning behind offering DLC for sale. It boils down to this: the number of newer games that have DLC keeps growing every year. As publishers and developers look at ways to remain profitable--look at how many big studios have gone bankrupt in the last 3 years if you think that's not a challenge--they're exploring new things like DLC, episodic content, and so on. GOG.com loves games, and we're committed to bringing the best games in history--classic or new--here to the site for you to enjoy. To sign some of these newer titles, however, we need to make a decision: do we sell DLC for these newer games, or do we not offer DLC and, increasingly, find that what we sell doesn't contain all of the content available for the game, content that hardcore fans of the game will probably enjoy?

We thought about it and decided that the best thing for us to do was to offer you the freedom to choose. We don't like telling you what to do with your games, whether it's how you want to back it up or how often you want to reinstall it, and it felt like refusing to sell DLC for new games was another instance where we were limiting your freedom. In our minds, if you don't like DLC, you're free to ignore it; if it represents a good value to price to you, then, you're free to buy it here--DRM-free, of course--from GOG.com.

For classic games, our goal always remains to bring you the definitive version of the game--with all expansion packs--at one price. Sometimes, for one reason or another, we don't get the expansion packs. At least, not right away (::coughcoughSidMeier'sAlienCrossfirecough::), but the goal remains that way and it won't change.

New games are different, though. Classic games aren't being actively developed, and they aren't being updated with new paid content, so it's easy to negotiate a single fixed price. For new games, that's not the case, and we can't promise a fixed price for all of the expanded content ever for a new game. We will try to get you all of the DLC that we can for free, but let's be realistic: developers release paid DLC because they want more money. Offering it for free is not always in the cards. Offering it for free 6 months, a year, or 18 months after the launch? That's more likely to be possible, and it's certainly something that we would love to be able to do for all of our games. We can't promise anything, but that's another goal for us.

So, as we mentioned above, we didn't do a very good job letting you guys know about this ahead of time, and as such your response was--unsurprisingly--pretty strong. To help determine what you want us to do in the future, we've prepared a short survey for you about DLC, episodic content, and other possible new areas of gaming that GOG.com might venture into offering you. Please take a moment and answer the survey, and leave us a comment below. We'll pick 10 winners who comment below and give them any game from the catalog--even Omerta and its DLC, if you like. :)

tl;dr version: We're sorry about how we communicated to you during DLC launch. We hope you'll give us feedback on what new things GOG.com might start selling in the future.

The survey is now closed. Thanks for your time and your insights, everyone. We'll take a close look at the outcome. This will surely help us in making GOG.com an even better service custom-tailored to its users tastes and expectations. Again, thanks for your opinions!

As promised, we'll pick 10 posts from the comment thread and give their authors a game of their choice. We'll PM you to ask you what would you like to get.
Post edited March 15, 2013 by G-Doc
Sean1223: I just had another idea. GOG could sell emulated versions of old console games (NES, SNES, Genesis, N64, etc.)! The emulation program could be packaged with the game, just like Dosbox is packaged with many GOG games.

Many old console game abandonware would be a nightmare of legal rights, but if some agreements could be made for certain classic console games, this would be a great opportunity for GOG to make more money, for the old developers and publishers to make money (if they still exist), and also for players to try out or replay old console classics.
or you could just download the p2p program called frostwire and download a whole collection of them companies do not care about 20+year old games they make no $ off of anymore
This idea is very good, really let me benefit...
kilios01: or you could just download the p2p program called frostwire and download a whole collection of them companies do not care about 20+year old games they make no $ off of anymore
You come to a place called Good Old Games, and whip out the antique Usenet argument of "20+year old games they make no $ off of anymore"? Look around you to see exactly how many companies and creators do care about making money off their properties. Look around you to see the people and the customers making such an argument redundant.

I say antique Usenet because one of the refrains often heard in the rom sharing groups back in the N64 days was "Nintendo will never sell these games again". Oh surprise... Virtual Console. It's never off the table, as long as the creators or the publishers still exist, and the demand is there. Abandonware is a myth that teenagers with more time than money succumb to, because creators don't actually forget about what they've made. Nor do they forget who owns the rights to make the decisions about re-releasing them. That's where GOG comes in. :)
Post edited June 28, 2013 by MogicCap
What about series bundles like on Steam? With like a 15-20% discount and all.
Linux games please!
I'm totally fine with DLC. It allows you to choose between two options:

1. Get an buggy, incomplete game at a huge price ("full price") and pay the same amount again for the remaining content.

2. Wait until the Game gets "old" and get the complete bug-fixed pack below 10 bucks at a sale (and DRM-free).

Currently publishers or developers punish people buying at release time, so I don't do that. I just wait...
kilios01: or you could just download the p2p program called frostwire and download a whole collection of them companies do not care about 20+year old games they make no $ off of anymore
MogicCap: You come to a place called Good Old Games, and whip out the antique Usenet argument of "20+year old games they make no $ off of anymore"? Look around you to see exactly how many companies and creators do care about making money off their properties. Look around you to see the people and the customers making such an argument redundant.

I say antique Usenet because one of the refrains often heard in the rom sharing groups back in the N64 days was "Nintendo will never sell these games again". Oh surprise... Virtual Console. It's never off the table, as long as the creators or the publishers still exist, and the demand is there. Abandonware is a myth that teenagers with more time than money succumb to, because creators don't actually forget about what they've made. Nor do they forget who owns the rights to make the decisions about re-releasing them. That's where GOG comes in. :)
nintendo will never sale a COMPLETE collection even though 80% of their library is crap, yes they will sale some of the classics but there were over 750games just in the NES library, I have the mods, I dont file share any of it,download it once for me and only me I support Gog.com and steam I think what they are doing is great, but some people would lke to have ALL the library like me for times that they are just bored and want to relive their childhood and paying $10 for super mario bros3 does not do that on the virtual console some people dont have wii's I am fortunate to have all my old games I phycally own 50% of the nes library myself so yes I think I am entitled to some Rom dumps of some 20-25year old nintendo games. there will never be demand for obscure works of crap such as color a dinosaur and bubble bath babes...lol so that's the only way to go about getting them
I think you lot have managed to fill a hole for us older gamers who are not computer wizards but simply want an old favourite game working on our current O/S.

I already own the original boxed version of the French "Imperialism", I was more than happy to pay less than a pint of beer for your fixed version that actually works and runs on Win 7.

My vote for an old classic I'd next like will be Medieval Total War, I haven't been able to get it working since ME.

Keep up the good work you blokes!
moriety: My vote for an old classic I'd next like will be Medieval Total War, I haven't been able to get it working since ME.

Keep up the good work you blokes!
Some get Medieval Total War to run fine on Win 7 , even on 7/64bit, using the xp2 or xp3 compatibility mode, as administrator . Another trick is to copy the content of the disc on the hard disk, to set the compatibility of the intaller to xp , to install, to patch and then set the compatibility of the application to xp.

From what I heard/read, this works well for systems with AMD GPUs
Did we get our two old releases this week?
GOG.com: Please take a survey and tell us what you think!

Last week, we launched the first ever DLC on GOG.com (for tactical-strategy game Omerta: City of Gangsters). The launch was a bit rushed on our end, and we did a bad job communicating what it was, and why we're adding it to the store. That was a screw-up on our part, and we're sorry. We've read all of your comments (and there were a lot!) and it's lead us to wonder about DLC and other new models of gaming that are happening right now. There's a survey at the bottom of this newspost, where we'd like to hear more about what you think GOG.com should do in the future, but don't jump down there just yet.

First, we wanted to explain the reasoning behind offering DLC for sale. It boils down to this: the number of newer games that have DLC keeps growing every year. As publishers and developers look at ways to remain profitable--look at how many big studios have gone bankrupt in the last 3 years if you think that's not a challenge--they're exploring new things like DLC, episodic content, and so on. GOG.com loves games, and we're committed to bringing the best games in history--classic or new--here to the site for you to enjoy. To sign some of these newer titles, however, we need to make a decision: do we sell DLC for these newer games, or do we not offer DLC and, increasingly, find that what we sell doesn't contain all of the content available for the game, content that hardcore fans of the game will probably enjoy?

We thought about it and decided that the best thing for us to do was to offer you the freedom to choose. We don't like telling you what to do with your games, whether it's how you want to back it up or how often you want to reinstall it, and it felt like refusing to sell DLC for new games was another instance where we were limiting your freedom. In our minds, if you don't like DLC, you're free to ignore it; if it represents a good value to price to you, then, you're free to buy it here--DRM-free, of course--from GOG.com.

For classic games, our goal always remains to bring you the definitive version of the game--with all expansion packs--at one price. Sometimes, for one reason or another, we don't get the expansion packs. At least, not right away (::coughcoughSidMeier'sAlienCrossfirecough::), but the goal remains that way and it won't change.

New games are different, though. Classic games aren't being actively developed, and they aren't being updated with new paid content, so it's easy to negotiate a single fixed price. For new games, that's not the case, and we can't promise a fixed price for all of the expanded content ever for a new game. We will try to get you all of the DLC that we can for free, but let's be realistic: developers release paid DLC because they want more money. Offering it for free is not always in the cards. Offering it for free 6 months, a year, or 18 months after the launch? That's more likely to be possible, and it's certainly something that we would love to be able to do for all of our games. We can't promise anything, but that's another goal for us.

So, as we mentioned above, we didn't do a very good job letting you guys know about this ahead of time, and as such your response was--unsurprisingly--pretty strong. To help determine what you want us to do in the future, we've prepared a short survey for you about DLC, episodic content, and other possible new areas of gaming that GOG.com might venture into offering you. Please take a moment and answer the survey, and leave us a comment below. We'll pick 10 winners who comment below and give them any game from the catalog--even Omerta and its DLC, if you like. :)

tl;dr version: We're sorry about how we communicated to you during DLC launch. We hope you'll give us feedback on what new things GOG.com might start selling in the future.

The survey is now closed. Thanks for your time and your insights, everyone. We'll take a close look at the outcome. This will surely help us in making GOG.com an even better service custom-tailored to its users tastes and expectations. Again, thanks for your opinions!

As promised, we'll pick 10 posts from the comment thread and give their authors a game of their choice. We'll PM you to ask you what would you like to get.
I would love to see that gog.com sells the rewamped version of Lords of Midnight for pc. Their website is here http://thelordsofmidnight.com/index2.html#ordering check it out maybe you can make a deal and sell it here.
Mithorn: I would love to see that gog.com sells the rewamped version of Lords of Midnight for pc. Their website is here http://thelordsofmidnight.com/index2.html#ordering check it out maybe you can make a deal and sell it here.
Already confirmed to come here. See this post.
Mithorn: I would love to see that gog.com sells the rewamped version of Lords of Midnight for pc. Their website is here http://thelordsofmidnight.com/index2.html#ordering check it out maybe you can make a deal and sell it here.
Yeah, like JMich said, it's already on its way.

Which is good because now that I'm aware of it I'm eagerly awaiting its arrival.
Is still possible to suggest games? While i think there is a good chance it has already been suggested, i would like to see "Starship troopers (2001)" often called also "starship troopers terran ascendancy". Also, "reach for the stars" and "rebel raiders - operation nighthawk" wouldnt be bad (altough the last one, while "old", still install and works ok up to windows7).
I also wonder if, one day, we will see here metal gear solid1 and 2, the pc version of the first 2 playstation games.
0rigami: Is still possible to suggest games? While i think there is a good chance it has already been suggested, i would like to see "Starship troopers (2001)" often called also "starship troopers terran ascendancy". Also, "reach for the stars" and "rebel raiders - operation nighthawk" wouldnt be bad (altough the last one, while "old", still install and works ok up to windows7).
I also wonder if, one day, we will see here metal gear solid1 and 2, the pc version of the first 2 playstation games.
Checkout the wishlist: http://www.gog.com/wishlist/games

Starship Troopers: Terran Ascendancy has 338 votes at the moment.
Reach for the Stars has 22 votes
"rebel raiders - operation nighthawk" doesn't seem to have been suggested yet. Maybe you could add it?
Metal Gear Solid seems to be one of the most wanted games on your list with 7,348 votes.