It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

high rated
What has been your favourite classic game to appear on GOG in 2015 ?
All these lists are gonna spring up this week about top new games in 2015, but what about the classics making a re-appearance ? My favourite game to play this year have been an oldie but goodie, hence this marvelous post.

Classic games released so far in 2015, there's still a few days to go mind you, by my count:

Albion
Al-Qadim: The Genie's Curse
Anno 1503 A.D.
Anno 1602 A.D.
Anno 1701 A.D.
Aquaria
Archimedean Dynasty
Crusader Kings
Cyberia 2: Resurrection
D&D Stronghold: Kingdom Simulator
Death To Spies: Moment Of Truth
DOOM II
Dragon Wars
Dungeons & Dragons: Dark Sun Series
Dungeons & Dragons: Krynn Series
Dungeons & Dragons: Ravenloft Series
Europa Universalis II
Europa Universalis III Complete
Europa Universalis: Rome Gold
F.E.A.R. Platinum
Falcon Collection
Fallout
Fallout 2
Fallout Tactics
Fantasy General
Final DOOM
FireStarter
Forgotten Realms: The Archives - Collection One
Forgotten Realms: The Archives - Collection Three
Forgotten Realms: The Archives - Collection Two
Hearts of Iron II: Complete
Hearts Of Iron III
Impossible Creatures
Little Inferno
Loom
Lula The Sexy Empire
Majesty Gold HD
Mortal Kombat 1+2+3
MX vs. ATV Unleashed
Outlaws + A Handful OF Missions
Overclocked: A History of Violence
Pacific General
Pax Imperia: Eminent Domain
Prehistorik 1+2
Prisoner of Ice
Quake
Quake 2
Quake 3
Return to Castle Wolfenstein
Revenant
Shadow of the Comet
Shadow Watch
Simon the Sorcerer 4: Chaos Happens
Sin GOLD
Star Trek: 25th Anniversary
Star Trek: Judgement Rites
Star Trek: Starfleet Academy
Star Trek: Starfleet Command,
Star Wars Dark Forces 1
Star Wars Dark Forces 2
Star Wars Rebellion
Star Wars TIE-Fighter
Star Wars X-Wing
Star Wars: Jedi Knight - Jedi Academy
Star Wars: Jedi Knight II - Jedi Outcast
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2
Star Wars: Rebel Assault 1 + 2
Star Wars™: Rogue Squadron 3D
Starship Titanic
Superpower 2
System Shock: Enhanced Edition
Terra Nova: Strike Force Centauri
The Dig
The Elder Scrolls Adventures: Redguard
The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall
The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
The Elder Scrolls: Arena
The Elder Scrolls: Battlespire
The Moment Of Silence
The Settlers: Rise Of An Empire
The Ultimate DOOM
Timelapse
Turok: Dinosaur Hunter
Warhammer 40,000: Chaos Gate
Warhammer 40,000: Final Liberation Epic
Warhammer: Shadow of the Horned Rat
Warrior Kings: Battles
Venom. Codename: Outbreak
Wings Of Prey: Special Edition
Wolfenstein 3D
World in Conflict: Complete Edition
Worms World Party Remastered
X Gold
X2: The Threat
X3: Reunion
X3: Terran War

Please note I may very well have missed a few or included some not actually released this year.
I went through the whole freakin' post section page by page.

My definition of a 'classic' is quite generous and covers games up to 2010....or was it 2005 ? I don't remember...I've already had a few Christmas beers when I decided to do this thing...'yes' Christmas beer is a thing in Sweden.
I don't know where the line is exactly drawn but personally I don't see why any game released after 2010 (2005?) should warrant the title 'classic'.

Anyway, my GOG Classic Game Release of 2015 is.....Star Wars Dark Forces !!!
There's a beautiful story behind it.
I first saw Brad at Giant Bomb play it, thinking it looked fun I bought it for myself. I've never played the game before.
And the game was awesome, it had fun level design, a cool storyline, great weapons and pleasant music.
However the big impact was that it rejuvenated my interest in FPS...well the older ones anyway...and I then went on to buy and play classic Doom, Quake and others. It was a genre I felt tired of, but one that this particular game made fun again.

Edit: for f...sake, my spelling...
Edit 2: removed Flight of the Amazon Queen and Duke Nukem: Manhattan Project (not released on GOG this year)
added Turok: Dinosaur Hunter and Crusader Kings.
Edit 3: now in alphabetical order
Post edited December 28, 2015 by R8V9F5A2
R8V9F5A2: I went through the whole freakin' post section page by page.
Have you ever heard of MaGog
It would have made the task 1000 times easier. :P

Anyway, thanks for putting that list together. It's easy to forget how many epic classic releases we got on GOG this year.

It's very hard to pick only a few favorites out of that EPIC list but these were the most surprising ones for me:

The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
Fallout Classics
Quake 3

Btw, you did forget at least one: Crusader Kings.
Dark Sun! Dark Sun! Dark Sun! Dark Sun! Dark Sun!

Dark Sun.
I guess Revenant and the badly named and split up Forgotten Realms Archives.
The one that enjoyed the most: Star Wars: Dark Forces

The most surprising release: Lula - The Sexy Empire

The one I was most excited about: Eye of the Beholder
From this list, Fallout Tactics.
For some reason i love this game, i have finished it several times.
Dark forces 2: Jedi Knight is mine, it held up very well. Also got to play through its expansion for the first time.
It's so hard to choose, but I think it's one I haven't seen on the list:

Turok: Dinosaur Hunter

Yeah, the price is ridiculous, but still one on my favorite FPSs. The atmosphere, the level design, the joy of exploration, the many neat weapons, the awesome boss battles... It was a blast to complete it again.
The one i love most is the Krynn Series, but I am happy about all the SSI titles ;)
Maybe Morrowind, as in "OMFG Bethesda on GOG? How can this be?".

Second place goes to any Paradox games, for a similar reason: "OMG Paradox too? Stop the madness! Errr, on the second thought, DON'T stop it!".

Third place goes to any Star Wars games (Disney/LucasArts), and fourth place to X-series, albeit this last one wasn't really a surprise, I was expecting them to come at some point and I was rather surprised it took this long.
I love the topic but if you asked my that two days ago I would have given you one answer.
The next day you wouldn't have gotten a different one.
Today, a different one. :P

A lot of those, it's not so much the games, as the fact that they are here period. Just not having to deal with all the bullshit of installing those Star Wars games from my discs would immediately put them at the top of the list.

EDIT: Case in point. Since I posted this I've gone from FEAR to Grid and back to FEAR.

No, Grid. Wait....
Post edited December 26, 2015 by tinyE
tinyE: I love the topic but if you asked my that two days ago I would have given you one answer.
The next day you wouldn't have gotten a different one.
Today, a different one. :P

A lot of those, it's not so much the games, as the fact that they are here period. Just not having to deal with all the bullshit of installing those Star Wars games from my discs would immediately put them at the top of the list.

EDIT: Case in point. Since I posted this I've gone from FEAR to Grid and back to FEAR.

No, Grid. Wait....
Haha - yes, this. Really jazzed to see so many great releases come here this year (and 2014 was no slouch, either), whether or not I actually buy and play any of them.

gOg classic releases of the year... hard to say. As tinyE points out, just that they're here at all is really fantastic. And do I pick from only those I've played in the past, or include those that I'm just generally glad they made it here? Maybe a little of both:

Gold Box games. I mean, really. The friggin' GOLD BOX games! Awesome. These were a big gorram deal when they were new: D&D on the PC. And they were / are fun. Really looking forward to revisiting some of the titles.

Elder Scrolls, in part because Bethesda got here, and in part because Morrowind (the only one I've played) really is a great game.

Wolfenstein 3D, because it's the one that really started the ball rolling with respect to FPS games. Granted, if it weren't this title then someone else would have come along to create the genre eventually, but this one brought the genre to widespread attention and it was / is FUN!

The return of the Fallout games. Because Fallout. Big thank you to those who made this happen.

System Shock, because now I can play it (eventually) before playing System Shock 2. Made the decision, when I purchased SS2 upon its release here, that I would not install it until the first one came along. And now it's here. Still haven't played either one but that's not the point. ; )

Honorable Mention to the X games. For starters, because a game with the name of "X" is not easy to search for on the internet! Haha - but now I don't have to. From my little bit of playtime (bought on Amazon a few years back), it's an enormous sandbox that could keep one occupied for a very long time. I'll revisit once I replace the joystick.

Another Honorable Mention goes to the Falcon flight sim games. For one, this place could use more vehicle sims. More importantly, Falcon is the possibly the most faithful recreation of a fighter jet one can find. Maybe the most faithful recreation of ANY vehicle. Wouldn't be surprised if this is the series that single-handedly put Thrustmaster into prominence.
Classic game, Morrowind for me, The game will always remain a testament of how an open world RPG should be. I'll still buy Oblivion when it's released here though.
Wolfenstein 3D
System Shock Classic Edition is my favourite this year.

And even though I have a newly-found grudge against Bethesda: Doom, Doom 2 and Daggerfall are fantastic editions to the library.

It was also great to finally play Saints Row the Third and F.E.A.R.