It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Get ready, as our Winter Sale brings in yet another giveaway!

This time you can get nothing else, but part of the legendary Worms series – Worms Revolution Gold Edition! Be quick to claim your copy though; the giveaway lasts only until December 30th, 2 PM UTC!

We all know this absolutely ICONIC 2D artillery turn-based video game series, with funny little worms as main characters. Worms Revolution is yet another entry on the classic title; it introduced several new features and beautiful 3D graphics, all while retaining the well-known 2D gameplay. Inclusion of dynamic water, physics objects, worm classes – it’s all here! You can also customise your experience by choosing what classes you play with, what they look like, and even how they speak!
Lodium: The point of my post was to point out its quite ridiculus calling the early years in videogaming history with lan drm free
or like you did having rose tinted glasses looking back on an area thats gone past
The arcade cabinets back then was owned by companies so not even single player games was owned by people
since you had to put a coin into the machine to able to play it

Only once Pong machines and atari games starting getting sold to priviate people instead of the games being controlled by the companies you coud see the resemblence of drm free multiplayer
and even that was quite restrictive the way most people think of Drm free multiplayer when using the term drm free multiplayer

What most people mean is beeing able to play lan connetcted games remotly not needing to be in the same room as other players and not the game mode contolled by the gamecompanies or corparations

Remember
the complaint was about the content beiing gated by a client was the argument

one can also argue that the early examples Play by mail was kinda also controlled to a degree since you had to pay large bils to the companies that operated the dial up modem lines.
Gaming online was not cheap during the early years of the internet
rjbuffchix: Oh, I remember you now. You're the guy who criticized LAN when I suggested it in a different topic :) I'm not sure exactly where you're coming from. Gaming as a whole was a niche in the past and in many ways more expensive...so I'm not sure why you single out LAN in particular. Hell, I'm pretty sure I've read anecdotes about a certain game wreckin people's computers such that they had to buy a brand new computer, which certainly wasn't cheap. There are cost barriers in the present day too...not everyone can afford internet or electricity even now and this will only get worse with more overpopulation and inflation. In the present day, LAN and DRM-free multiplayer is not too much to ask for those who are fortunate enough to be part of the gaming hobby.

It's okay to be against the cost barriers as well as against the DRM barriers. Due to macro-level conditions, I don't think there is much that can be done about the cost barriers...for instance, if a customer cannot afford internet, I'm sure GOG would love it to change so the customer could afford it and shop here, but there is nothing GOG could really do about the cost barrier of that hypothetical person. By contrast, DRMed multiplayer is an active choice made by gaming companies and GOG could choose to exclude it from the store. I don't know where exactly the line should be drawn but it should be much more narrowly defined than at present, considering many games here have multiplayer unnecessarily locked behind the Galaxy client requirement.
im not singling out lan in particcular
im singling out a rose tinted look at the past wich wasnt like you belive it was
The contrnt wasnt less gated back in the past in the early years of videogame history
but you seeam to think thaty gogs client is somehow worse when the internet providres charged a fortune if you wanted to play by mail or worse than when the arcade cabinet owners called the shots

Honestly i think the complaint shoud be rather directed in the reduction of consumer protection thats beeing going on
wich at the end off the 90,s and 2000,s was better than they were in the past at the atari age and the recent years with games going digital

And the reduction in consumer protection
is not only gogs fault
This has been happening for years even before gog existed
And consumers havent protested much
remember back in the 90,s and the start of 2000,s you actually owned the game copy and coud burn it, destroy it etc
Nowadays you only rent a licence so its a clear reduction in cunsumer protection

Theres been no boycott of valve or mass protest at valve
even if valve have contrubuited to the reduction in consumer protection
theres been talk but talk is cheap
Post edited December 28, 2022 by Lodium
Lodium: ...since you had to pay large bils to the companies that operated the dial up modem lines.
Heh, I used internet at work after hours. A lot of us did. The boss was understanding. Also, several of us did not have any kind of PC at home.
Lodium: ...since you had to pay large bils to the companies that operated the dial up modem lines.
Themken: Heh, I used internet at work after hours. A lot of us did. The boss was understanding. Also, several of us did not have any kind of PC at home.
I dont tthink luck has anything to do with the content beeing considered gated or not
i was sometimes lucky to get to loan one of the local dial up lines in the area while growing up
that doesnt mean the content wasnt being gated which was the argumet against gogs client in this trhead
Mind you a client the game devs themself can choose to use or not use
or iclude lan play with their game

Theres even games here that have had their lan feature removed here before it realesed on gog
where the lan feature had been missed for years on steams or other plattforms before the devs decided to use the gog client here
but for some weird reson some pepople here still thinks its gog fault when the lan feature is missing here
and are trying to make the gog client far worse than paying out the nose wich was more common way of gating the games in the past
but no, no
stilll gogs client arre somewhat worse than play by mail that costed a fortune is the claim here
wich i find is a riddiculus claim
At least in single player games you coud just pay the hardware and the games themself wich was expensive enough
50 USD dollars was much more money in 1he 1990,s compared to what its now

Gog is just providing the tools wich devs can choose to use
its a sillu argument claiming its gog that its gating the content
when the game devs themself can code a lan feature in their game or bring the old one they had in adition to the client
There are some games that have both the possibiltys here
so why is he not directing his complaint at the game devs?

Sometimes remasters of games had their lan feature removed but people still blames gog for
wich i find bizzare

this game isnt here but people was smart enough to blame the correct people
Battle Realms: Zen Edition
LAN and Direct IP Multiplayer modes have been removed. Now, by clicking 'Multiplayer', the player will be taken directly to the Steam Lobbies.

Unfortunately both of those game modes provide security issues that currently can't be resolved due to the game's age and Steam network not really properly supporting LAN.

While ruling out Direct IP was a rather easy decision to make, we did want to save the 'old school' spirit by leaving LAN intact, looked for possible solutions but couldn't come up with anything substantial. So it will also have to go unfortunately.

Steam Multiplayer should by now be an overall better way to play online, but yes, it requires internet connection.

Heres another example
Crusader Kings II
Paradox released the game on Steam with their own multiplayer system (which has LAN). They kept using that system up until RoI I believe it was and then they switched over to the Steamworks multiplayer system (which doesn't have offline LAN) because of issues they had using their own system. All Steam ever did was update your game to WHAT THE DEVELOPERS RELEASED. Steam had absolutely 0 to do with that. It was 100% the developers choice to remove that feature and use Steamworks multiplayer instead. Valve didn't come along and say 'hey you remove LAN from your game'.
Post edited December 29, 2022 by Lodium
My first gift. Thanks.
Lodium: im not singling out lan in particcular
im singling out a rose tinted look at the past wich wasnt like you belive it was
The contrnt wasnt less gated back in the past in the early years of videogame history
but you seeam to think thaty gogs client is somehow worse when the internet providres charged a fortune if you wanted to play by mail or worse than when the arcade cabinet owners called the shots
Yes it was less gated in the past and the past was better, even if the issues you mention were a problem. Mandatory clients ARE worse than "type the number code from page 2 of the physical manual". The majority of the games being made by corporations IS worse than the majority of games being made by hardcore enthusiasts. The fact that gaming was expensive yet had more DRM-free components IS STILL better than Scheme sales of DRMed games for $1 a piece and client-locked multiplayer. Sorry, we're just not going to agree. It's not nostalgia. The past was objectively better to me for the reasons I've mentioned. So I will keep talking up offline multiplayer such as in this Worms game :)

Lodium: Theres been no boycott of valve or mass protest at valve
There was from me. Scheme's taking over PC gaming ruined it for me and I left the hobby for many, many years. Nearly a decade and a half. I was so disgusted I didn't even give GOG a chance until I realized Fallout New Vegas was here. GOG then proceeded to release more and more games with client-locked multiplayer, lol.
Lodium: im not singling out lan in particcular
rjbuffchix: Yes it was less gated in the past and the past was better, even if the issues you mention were a problem. Mandatory clients ARE worse than "type the number code from page 2 of the physical manual". The majority of the games being made by corporations IS worse than the majority of games being made by hardcore enthusiasts. The fact that gaming was expensive yet had more DRM-free components IS STILL better than Scheme sales of DRMed games for $1 a piece and client-locked multiplayer. Sorry, we're just not going to agree. It's not nostalgia. The past was objectively better to me for the reasons I've mentioned. So I will keep talking up offline multiplayer such as in this Worms game :)

Lodium: Theres been no boycott of valve or mass protest at valve
rjbuffchix: There was from me. Scheme's taking over PC gaming ruined it for me and I left the hobby for many, many years. Nearly a decade and a half. I was so disgusted I didn't even give GOG a chance until I realized Fallout New Vegas was here. GOG then proceeded to release more and more games with client-locked multiplayer, lol.
no it wasnt less gated

As i pointed out it was gated by cost
the removal of the cost gate happened inn the end of the 1990,s when tecnology moved forward allowiing more cheap internet for more people
before this internet connection was quite expensive
just look at the number of users of internet and email i provided earlier in the trhead
and thats for the whole world
thats peanuts in the ammount of users compared to today
On can not claim that cost of the internet wasnt an barrier to entry multiplayer games in the early videogame history
art least not like multiplayer over lan that most peole understand it in todays gaming

even arcade cabinets was gated as it costed money to play on the machines
and it wasnt uncommon for the owners of the arcade cabinets to jack up diffilculty or other methods to make players use more money

and single induviduals talk here is cheap
one person alone dont have a a sway over consumer practices on the industry as a whole
and i dont think the gog userbase is a big enough factor to change the industry policy as it was back in the end of 1990, to the start of 2000.s
As an example
Loads of players threatened to boycott cod bur when it came down to it only a fraction did and the rest that claimed they woud boycott the cod devs bougth the next game in the series

the same example can apply to paradox games
paradox games have become less consumer friendly
loads of people have trheathened to boycott or whatever but paradox games seeams to keep selling
otherwise they wount keep putting them out or make new eu and hoi games, crusader kings games and so on

And gogs client isnt mandatory to my knowledge
i have played multiplayer games that is on gog withouth the client
but your experiency may wary//be diffrent
the blizzard games om here dosnt require the gog client to my knowlegde
https://www.gog.com/en/game/diablo

Btw
i woud argue the classical lan experience gathering several people in a room withouth intenet have higher entry than it used to have
when considering fuel cost and energy cost
there woudnt loads of opertunitys for somone to be able to host a lan party woith ten people or something whitouth getting hit hard in the wallet in the terms of cost nowadays and the tranportation cost for each indivudual participant
Post edited December 30, 2022 by Lodium
Thanks for another freebie!
aerodeon: I am clicking on the banner just above Deal of the Day. I click on Add to my library.
BreOl72: Well if you really click on the green button (and not on the banner surrounding it), that should do the trick.

However, I noticed in your screenshots that you're using Galaxy...and that thing isn't exactly free from flaws.
Have you tried to start Galaxy anew?

From reading some other threads/comments here in the forum, I assume, that restarting (usually) resolves such issues.
I don't use Galaxy myself, so I can't really give you any better advice on that. Sorry and good luck!
Fonzer: Thanks for the gift but as i noticed the number in games didn't go up in my library so maybe something dissapeared but i don't know what that could be.
Or maybe it just didn't count the new gift game even though i have it in my library.
BreOl72: Are you sure you didn't already own the game prior to this giveaway?
Because that would be a possible explanation as to why the number doesn't change.
Just an idea.

For me (I didn't own this game before), the number went up by one. Just like it should.
I've signed out of Galaxy and signed back in. The Add to Library button just takes me to the page where the game costs money. When I add it to the cart, it wants to charge me.

I've tried using Chrome and Edge to get the game too. Signing in is fine, but the green button again takes me to the page where the game costs money. I'm in the UK, so I think the giveaway is valid.

There's only about 3 hours left of the giveaway before it expires and no reply from support. Maybe GOG shouldn't try a freebie when they don't have any staff at the office to handle when it doesn't work.

It's fine. Thanks to everyone for your suggestions and help, though. It is much appreciated.
aerodeon: There's only about 3 hours left of the giveaway before it expires and no reply from support. Maybe GOG shouldn't try a freebie when they don't have any staff at the office to handle when it doesn't work.
They may still be able to give you the code later once support is able to respond since you wrote them during the giveaway. I'm not sure about giveaways but before the refund system was automated they did give me a code to get the sale price when support replied a while later after I requested a refund to get the lower sale price during the sale. Does the current giveaway work for you? Strange issue, hopefully they will fix it.
Nice! Not only for another giveaway but also for something a bit more interesting (to me). Thank you!

:D
Post edited December 31, 2022 by Waganari