It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

If there's one classic game that earned the title of "genre-defining masterpiece" then it's our beloved System Shock 2.

In true GOG fashion, we are celebrating the 20th anniversary of this fan-favorite with -85% discount. If you already finished it at least seven times, then we have prepared more discounts on a bunch of games that were inspired by System Shock.

The Thief series (-75%) removes the horror aspect but emphasizes stealth and sneaking. And both Deus Ex games (-75%) enrich the experience with a cyberpunk setting and even more freedom of choice. Finally, the BioShock series (up to -75%) focuses more on the shooter elements and often is called the spiritual successor to the System Shock games.

And if all that System Shock like gameplay is not what you want for your weekend, we have a variety of other games prepared: Classic RPG Ultima Underworld 1+2 (-75%), your favorite assassin from the <span class="bold">Hitman</span> series (-75%), a creepy dystopia in We Happy Few (-50%) and many more.

The Weekend Sale ends August 12th, 1pm UTC.
pkk234: What do you guys think of Deus Ex Invisible War?
Apparently incomparable to the first one, but decent by itself.

Is it fun? Why is worse than the first one?

Just tryin to gauge whether I should snag it.
I'd say it's worth playing through at least once. It's dirt cheap, and not too long, so even if you find it meh or mediocre, you probably won't have too many regrets about the time or money spent.

I think they did have some good ideas that later made it into Deus Ex 1 mods (e.g. passive augs, unique weapons, some weapon mods).

They also had a bunch of stupid ideas, such as very limited inventory space, removal of skills, universal ammo (all weapons use up the same type of ammunition!), and overall simplified mechanics (arguably things like multitooling, lockpicking, and hacking were already too simple in DX1 since all you do is click and stand and wait; instead of making it more interesting, they kept it as it is but also combined lockpicks & multitools into one item and simplified computer UIs).

Then there are the technical issues: crashes, multitools that don't always stack (even though it's supposed to be a single type of item, there are actually two different types of multitools so you need two inventory slots or you won't be able to pick up some of them), multitools that respawn infinitely (e.g. in the church), blurry graphics (unless you disable the pixel shader effects they so hyped at launch)...

For me IW is also much less immersive than DX1. I'm not sure exactly why but I can think of a few reasons: the graphics somehow feel more cartoonish, locales feel less real, the outdoor levels are so cramped that it hardly feels like outside (can't see much horizon, you're always stuck in a tiny maze of buildings that surround you and block the view), guns feel plasticy/toyish/have no impact, no blood (I can't remeber if there's a bleeding particle effect, but you won't see the bloody splashes and pools and gibs of DX1), even the death screams feel toned down like they were trying hard to do a PG-13 star wars game, pew pew. On the flip side, you can perform a school massacre and grab upskirt screenshots of dead ragdoll schoolgirls, go figure.

And yeah, the story.. well, I'm no good at criticizing stories but it feels like a very mediocre scifi plot that only exists as an excuse for you to be out there doing stuff. Unfortunately even seeing faces from the old game can be quite a disappointing experience, they just failed to turn them into interesting encounters.
Post edited August 09, 2019 by clarry
GOG.com: Deus Ex games...
adamhm: It would be nice if Square Enix would release more games here
sadly no, and we go

Anyway, SS2 easily worth the 1.49, though by now I can't help but assume everyone has it. :P
Post edited August 10, 2019 by tfishell
low rated

Is it fun? Why is worse than the first one?

Just tryin to gauge whether I should snag it.

Sweet sale GOG.
It's more "linear" than the first with universal ammo(good as it saves space but bad as it makes it so that running out of ammo means you can;t use another gun), more mutitools than one would ever need, and a few other issues here and there.

It is still somewhat decent, though, imo.....the intro alone is pretty good, for starters, and the ways one can get to new areas via which pilot you pick in the game to hire/save is also a nice touch...as are the weapon mods(silencer/glass breaker to break alarmed glass panels to access some stuff, etc) & some factions.
ChrisGamer300: I prefer SS1 over 2, it's a shame to see SS2 take all the credit in the series all the time !
TBF it's easier to control for most people and is nicer looking to some....plus the mod community is nice to have with all the free mods(christine's mods are especially nice).

I like both, though, tbh.
Cadaver747: Deus Ex IW is very bad from plot perspective and technically it's even worse that the first one due to XBOX RAM limitation: the levels are extremely short and divided into several sections. It is always nice to play a console port on PC, thanks to smart decision of developer / publisher.

============================
pkk234: Is it fun? Why is worse than the first one?
Cadaver747: The game can be fun occasionally, a few side quests may even put a smile on your face. For me that game was slightly better than Deus Ex: Human Revolution (boring, long, stupid) and Deus Ex: The Fall (boring, short, ugly, unfinished).
It is worse than Deus Ex 1 because they f@cked up all good from its predecessor. RPG / upgrade module system is not fun. Introduction completely destroys the feel of Deus Ex universe (the bomb), the plot is a weaker parody from the first game (different factions, one shadow government, same ultimate goals). Some character models might look uglier than in the first game. I recommend to turn off "visual" filters in options to get a clear crispy picture, by default it's almost unbearable. The Greys can communicate and their background is not that fascinating. One interesting character if you are lucky, could be none.

My personal games rating from best to worst:
Deus Ex > Deus Ex: Mankind Divided > Deus Ex: Invisible War > Deus Ex: Human Revolution > Deus Ex: The Fall > Deus Ex Go.
Tbf even the first Deus Ex had issues like the washed out & dull color scheme, how wobbly weapons could be if untrained(a tad unrealistic imo), the cliched plotline(albeit used well), etc. We just usually tend to see it more with nostalgia goggles as with all great firsts in series we enjoy.

=====================

Fwiw I found Human Revolution to be pretty decent(combat was repetitive but fun) in many ways....the ENDING's choices not mattering kinda s**ked balls, though.

Also in IW of course people will be trying to do the same things...humans/etc always want power/control, after all.
Post edited August 10, 2019 by GameRager
all glory to the hypnotÄiÔŘď  M\©. "ňh ¶ëÖĐ< ÚÖÁ€Ó¨~`ú ›-Q1iűůpT !źŤ$=ěďÍ ¨ ¸SÝ-٦m Z‘…gŮ)Ô™¤• ´Ţ v'˝ö{ °ĺV}\ŕäEş µv/_:*Ž&”Ć ƒ€ýá ţˇ9¶ÖXĂ ÎSHODAN!!!
Post edited August 10, 2019 by Kunovski
Kunovski: all glory to the hypnotÄiÔŘď  M\©. "ňh ¶ëÖĐ< ÚÖÁ€Ó¨~`ú ›-Q1iűůpT !źŤ$=ěďÍ ¨ ¸SÝ-٦m Z‘…gŮ)Ô™¤• ´Ţ v'˝ö{ °ĺV}\ŕäEş µv/_:*Ž&”Ć ƒ€ýá ţˇ9¶ÖXĂ ÎSHODAN!!!
Glory to the Many!
Can anyone tell me what about post 18 pissed some off? Was it the criticism of Deus Ex, or the support of the game's sequels? o.0

Gah, if only low rating required a reason to be listed when doing so...it'd make it easier to tell what others got irked over.

Kunovski: all glory to the hypnotÄiÔŘď  M\©. "ňh ¶ëÖĐ< ÚÖÁ€Ó¨~`ú ›-Q1iűůpT !źŤ$=ěďÍ ¨ ¸SÝ-٦m Z‘…gŮ)Ô™¤• ´Ţ v'˝ö{ °ĺV}\ŕäEş µv/_:*Ž&”Ć ƒ€ýá ţˇ9¶ÖXĂ ÎSHODAN!!!
Tarhiel: Glory to the Many!
All hail the pleasure of the mass.

Also this is a reminder to all on gog: There are only 137 shopping days(give or take) until Christmas. Beep boop bop.
Post edited August 10, 2019 by GameRager
Well shit what incredible timing. "Welcome to Manhattan 47. Your target is in the secure wing of the local police station. This should be an easy job. The guards have all been paid and all the cameras have been turned off. Good luck." - ...

(I do try to avoid getting political on this forum generally. and for all I know broke community guidelines with this post :-P)
Post edited August 11, 2019 by tfishell
GameRager: Can anyone tell me what about post 18 pissed some off? Was it the criticism of Deus Ex, or the support of the game's sequels? o.0
My little analysis in a teacup, for whatever it may be worth:

I've been downvoted here when I've said negative things, even when I thought it was called for, given the context. So I would guess that, similarly, you got downvotes because you said a number of negative things.

I *personally* didn't think the particular negatives you said were all that bad, but then again, you are a prominent poster, so you will stick in people's minds one way or another, and in the past you have posted things that attracted downvotes, and a negative impression can tip the balance in people's minds when evaluating future posts.

To you that may seem like "blanket downvotes", but I observe that (for instance) your current post (#21) has not been visibly downvoted in the last 7 hours, so I suspect there is some actual cause and effect at work.

If you care, you could emphasize the positive in your future posts rather than sharing the negative half of your thoughts; that would very likely help. Depends on one's priorities, as always.

Cheers.
Post edited August 11, 2019 by faroot
I keep being tempted by We Happy Few, but I keep not buying it because of randomly generated levels.
Some good games in this sale, but why adding the Hitman games twice?
https://twitter.com/NightdiveStudio/status/1160590229390016513

At 8 pm EST Nightdive and a few others (including Lawrence Sontagg of Funhaus and Inside-Gaming fame) will be on Twitch to talk System Shock 2's development.
faroot: My little analysis in a teacup, for whatever it may be worth:

If you care, you could emphasize the positive in your future posts rather than sharing the negative half of your thoughts; that would very likely help. Depends on one's priorities, as always.

Cheers.
The advice is civil and good advice, so thanks for that and being polite about it....+1 and thanks again.

StingingVelvet: I keep being tempted by We Happy Few, but I keep not buying it because of randomly generated levels.
What's so bad about randomly generated levels, if I may ask? Many good or great games like the first two diab los did it to some extent, iirc.

tfishell: https://twitter.com/NightdiveStudio/status/1160590229390016513

At 8 pm EST Nightdive and a few others (including Lawrence Sontagg of Funhaus and Inside-Gaming fame) will be on Twitch to talk System Shock 2's development.
I wonder why nightdive is chiming in on SS2.....I know they are doing the SS1 remake, but why talk about SS2?

I truly hope they are not thinking of adding more to their plate with a SS2 remake.
Post edited August 12, 2019 by GameRager
<happy system shock 2 dance>
20 years? wow i'm getting old then
anyway been there, played that... got the achievement

thanks Gog
GameRager: What's so bad about randomly generated levels, if I may ask? Many good or great games like the first two diab los did it to some extent, iirc.
Good levels and missions require craftsmanship and design. Diablo is just a mindless click and loot game, not the same as an FPS or Immersive sim.