It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Quake II needs no introduction – this 1997’s critically acclaimed first-person shooter and sequel to Quake has become a staple in the hearts of every FPS enthusiast, and, after all those years, still remains as an iconic title and a must-have addition to any gaming library.

From today onwards, when purchasing Quake II you’ll become the owner of not only the original, untouched version of the game that has been available for years, but also the newly released enhanced version of the game with improved visuals, all-new campaign content, enhanced multiplayer support, crossplay, controller support, and more.

Moreover, if you already had the original Quake II in your library, you’ll receive the enhanced version for free!

Check out all the goodness that the enhanced version brings and enjoy the timeless shooter once again!
unabomber1986: I have a problem with an online multiplayer game. I am getting a message like this :"One or more accounts failed to signs into multiplayer"
From my experience, you need to use GOG Galaxy for it to work.
Guess I was wrong. The bots in multi are actually okay. Still not as good as anything one can find in UT or Quake 3, but they're good enough that one of them can even manage to win a match from time to time; only on their highest "nightmare" difficulty setting though. That said, on occasion one will completely bug out and just run around aiming and shooting at the ground for reasons.

Out of curiosity, I bothered to install Quake 3 again via ioquake3 and I was pleasantly surprised to actually run into some people there, so I had some fun playing on a RetroFFA server that just uses vanilla maps. Strangely enough, I think I may like multiplayer in Quake 2 more. *shrug* Somehow it just doesn't feel quite as hectic. Gotta get my hours in because I'm fairly sure the people playing online right now are very likely going to fizzle out within a month's span, so got to get the good stuff before it's gone again.

Well, to that effort I already put some ~18 hours into online matches. (Yikes!) Already found out which maps I like and those I don't - the Quake 2 64 maps are tiny. Since most everybody else doesn't even seem to bother to set up their games properly, I just ended up hosting my own with a minimum 8-player slots filled with bots if empty. Seems to be working reasonably well.

This is actually my first time ever being able to play Quake 2 online/multiplayer, and I must say I'm having a very good time with it. I've sorely missed the deathmatches of old. All these modern live service games just don't really do it for me. Either way, I'm getting a lot out of this remaster for the price of nothing. Can't beat that! ;)
Post edited August 14, 2023 by P-E-S
it's just me or the weapons don't look like they're melting anymore?
Currently rushing the new DOOM 1 EE, itching to get to DOOM 2 naturally.

Sweet memories of Quake 2 on-line DeathMatches, but they were soon
overshadowed by Half Life.

And then along came a little thing called Counterstrike 1.6, with beautifully
customisable bots.

I was thoroughly spoilt for MP by that.
If you're looking for the enhanced version as someone who already purchased the original version...

When the surprise (for me) Quake 1 remaster came out, I recall it downloading automatically when I opened GOG Galaxy. However, it seems that this is not the case for Quake 2, or my memory is wrong.

In order to get the enhanced version, which the blog post says you own if you already have the original Quake 2, I had to search for it in GOG. You can also find it in your "Owned Games" tab in GOG Galaxy. I also applied the "Not Installed" filter, and learned that I owned a few other versions of games that I didn't know about.

Hopefully this helps someone. I can't wait to check out the enhanced version!
Yeah, I am not sure what the story is with GOG's varying approaches, but they do occur.

When I heard owner's of Quake 2 were given the Enhanced version I went straight to me library, expecting it to appear at the start of the first page of games you see. That was not the case, though I noticed that the Seven: Enhanced Edition game had once again been shuffled back to the start of the list, so GOG had clearly modified something in my library.

Then I thought, maybe it is just included as part of a download of the original Quake 2 entry, so did a search to pull that up. But no, there it was, the Enhanced version had its own entry, slotted in, probably next to the original Quake 2 entry, which I probably bought in 2017. I probably would have had to navigate 19 pages and then scroll to find it without the benefit of search.
Post edited August 22, 2023 by Timboli
P-E-S: Guess I was wrong. The bots in multi are actually okay. Still not as good as anything one can find in UT or Quake 3, but they're good enough that one of them can even manage to win a match from time to time; only on their highest "nightmare" difficulty setting though. That said, on occasion one will completely bug out and just run around aiming and shooting at the ground for reasons.

Out of curiosity, I bothered to install Quake 3 again via ioquake3 and I was pleasantly surprised to actually run into some people there, so I had some fun playing on a RetroFFA server that just uses vanilla maps. Strangely enough, I think I may like multiplayer in Quake 2 more. *shrug* Somehow it just doesn't feel quite as hectic. Gotta get my hours in because I'm fairly sure the people playing online right now are very likely going to fizzle out within a month's span, so got to get the good stuff before it's gone again.

Well, to that effort I already put some ~18 hours into online matches. (Yikes!) Already found out which maps I like and those I don't - the Quake 2 64 maps are tiny. Since most everybody else doesn't even seem to bother to set up their games properly, I just ended up hosting my own with a minimum 8-player slots filled with bots if empty. Seems to be working reasonably well.

This is actually my first time ever being able to play Quake 2 online/multiplayer, and I must say I'm having a very good time with it. I've sorely missed the deathmatches of old. All these modern live service games just don't really do it for me. Either way, I'm getting a lot out of this remaster for the price of nothing. Can't beat that! ;)
We've always been able to play Q2 online. Q2pro client has built in server browser and there's usually always games up. Tastyspleen servers have been running for years and there's players on every day. Usually on weekends there's CTF matches. I've played Q2 and Q3A (not live) online for years.

I'm curious to see if everyone that's been playing Q2 all these years will migrate to enhanced version once they drop the dedicated server patch.

http://q2s.tastyspleen.net/
Post edited August 23, 2023 by Flesh420.613
I was actually expecting to have to pay for this one, nice surprise to find it in my account already. One point to house Bethesda.

Now how about that Doom 2016 then?
csanjuro: it's just me or the weapons don't look like they're melting anymore?
New engine, so no more low-precision vertex transformations, ergo no more jellyweapons.
Post edited August 23, 2023 by ReynardFox
Not interested in this game myself, but for those who may want/need to change the game settings, or those who want to know what settings are available before they buy the game, there's an article about that here:
https://bethesda.net/en/article/3v0hSLOuXLhA2QhYEwA9pC/quake-ii-enhanced-accessibility-options