It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

dewtech:
mk47at: I hope that they don't know (or care) that you consider them “not so bright”. ;-)
Heh, take your feelings and shove 'em
They aren't so bright in computers and electrical works, I am not so bright with car mechanics and get their help with that or with cooking or somwthing else like knitting, taking care of kids and so on.

EDIT: self-censored myself
Post edited May 02, 2018 by dewtech
with current installers it would be not that hard to include extra script to install dependencies, even prepend it ahead of the current shell script unpacking the data, so the installer itself can contain the `sudo apt-get install somelib:386 ...` line (probably being optional behind some text-mode menu to pick the line for 16.04 or 18.04 buntu), resolving dependencies for the supported systems. Or maybe the string on game page being in the form of terminal command, so you would need to just copy/paste it into terminal (maybe having a javascript button to actually put it into cliboard upon click).
Post edited May 02, 2018 by ped7g
mk47at: @linuxvangog: I'm wondering if you test games with different LC/LANG settings. I've encountered many problems (e.g. “Cook, Serve, Delicious 2” and “Stardew Valley”) with games that use Unity3d/mono on de_DE.utf8 that can be fixed by using LC_ALL=C, so it seems that they are cause by a decimal separator issue.
linuxvangog: Some of our computers have Polish language set up by default (since our offices are in Poland and we're mostly Polish after all). These usually reproduce this issue reliably, however some affected titles might have slipped through our fingers. I encourage you to report such findings to our support: https://support.gog.com/
Most of the time locale issues happen when using Mesa graphics drivers.
Do you have in your test park some machines using non-English locale and Mesa drivers?
immi101: flatpak still has problems with opengl support and joystick support
that makes it rather unsuitable for distributing games (atm)

and iirc some unity engine games try to connect to udev (for input device discovery i presume). Afaik that will never be allowed in flatpak.
Thanks for the details. It looks like the good old installers will have to do, even for the less experienced people.
linuxvangog: We are constantly working on expanding our Linux offer. When there is something missing, common reasons for that are either technical or legal, for example:

- Major technical obstacle discovered during our QA process, such as gamebreaking bugs, overcomplicated installation process, issues with Galaxy features integration or in rare cases even third-party DRM in builds sent by publisher;
- A deal for publishing the Linux version wasn’t signed / agreed to;
- Developer turned down our request to supply a Linux version of their game.
Digital_CHE: It will be good to know exactly which one of the above was the reason why the linux version of Metro Redux, The Saints Row games and Dying Light are not available on GOG.
Still waiting for Dying Light and Metro Redux myself. The former has Multiplayer so maybe another Galaxy victim? And I believe the latter did get into GOG's hands but was withheld from release for unexplained reasons.

I wish GOG were a little more open regarding some of this, the Linux community can be quite resourceful.
kneekoo: The "not so bright" people wouldn't do much better with a .tar.gz file either. With Flatpaks, they should.
I don't see how Flatpak is any better than what GOG are doing now with regular bundling and LD_LIBRARY_PATH. The only benefit of Flatpak that I see is sandboxing, but it's a different feature that you can also achieve with apparmor.
Post edited May 03, 2018 by shmerl
shmerl: I don't see how Flatpak is any better than what GOG are doing now with regular bundling and LD_LIBRARY_PATH. The only benefit of Flatpak that I see is sandboxing, but it's a different feature that you can also achieve with apparmor.
To be honest, considering the large honking space Flatpack needs and the weird cache/packing issues that can occur, I see flatpack as having more downsides than up.
shmerl: I don't see how Flatpak is any better than what GOG are doing now with regular bundling and LD_LIBRARY_PATH. The only benefit of Flatpak that I see is sandboxing, but it's a different feature that you can also achieve with apparmor.
Darvond: To be honest, considering the large honking space Flatpack needs and the weird cache/packing issues that can occur, I see flatpack as having more downsides than up.
I haven't actually read up on my snaps, flatpaks and whatnots yet, but isn't it because they bundle the program + all of it's library dependencies in 1 package, that's why I thought it could be a good idea, as it would be as easy as enabling flatpak/snap and just installing it, undependant on the distro you are using.

immi101: .....
Welp, my joysticks work with flatpak emulators...... WFM I guess.
immi101: .....
dewtech: Welp, my joysticks work with flatpak emulators...... WFM I guess.
which is why I said there are problems, not that it doesn't work at all ;)
openGL support should also mostly just work, but it's get icky when your distro update its nvidia driver and flatpak hasn't updated theirs yet. Then you will just sit without any 3D support until flatpak is updated.
The whole strict separation of libraries doesn't really work very well for GL implementation who depend on kernel drivers.
it adds to the small, but nagging issues that make distributing flatpaks just not worth it imho.
dewtech: Welp, my joysticks work with flatpak emulators...... WFM I guess.
immi101: which is why I said there are problems, not that it doesn't work at all ;)
openGL support should also mostly just work, but it's get icky when your distro update its nvidia driver and flatpak hasn't updated theirs yet. Then you will just sit without any 3D support until flatpak is updated.
The whole strict separation of libraries doesn't really work very well for GL implementation who depend on kernel drivers.
it adds to the small, but nagging issues that make distributing flatpaks just not worth it imho.
>nvidia
>linux

you were asking for trouble.
dewtech: >nvidia
>linux

you were asking for trouble.
you have a point there :)
but I don't think that attitude would work for a business like GOG.
Honestly, hard drive space is relatively cheap. I would prefer that games be distributed as Flatpaks, that way all the necessary libraries are bundled. So many issues getting some games to work in Debian because of missing or incompatible libraries.
I think Flatpaks are a great idea – if you want me to stop buying games.
Do you use apparmor?
I might have some questions about it in relation to ./play.it and games isolation ;)
vv221: Do you use apparmor?
I looked it at it, but didn't use in practice yet. You can create profiles for different programs with it.

dewtech: I haven't actually read up on my snaps, flatpaks and whatnots yet, but isn't it because they bundle the program + all of it's library dependencies in 1 package
You can do the same thing with regular directory structure and LD_LIBRARY_PATH if needed. Not sure how flatpak handles dynamic loading, may be it's somehow different. But I thought the main upside of flatpak is not bundling, but sandboxing.
Post edited May 04, 2018 by shmerl