It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

immi101: don't get me wrong, I absolutely share your sentiments wrt LTS distributions. But that doesn't change the fact that the free, unrestricted and ever moving nature of the linux/open source ecosystem stands in eternal conflict with (most) commercial software developers who very much prefer a more static, controlled environment to limit support & maintenance costs.
From all I've been reading, Windows 10 constantly breaks things with it's updates and constantly moving nature of it's “Windows as a service” mentality. :-P
immi101: don't get me wrong, I absolutely share your sentiments wrt LTS distributions. But that doesn't change the fact that the free, unrestricted and ever moving nature of the linux/open source ecosystem stands in eternal conflict with (most) commercial software developers who very much prefer a more static, controlled environment to limit support & maintenance costs.
mk47at: From all I've been reading, Windows 10 constantly breaks things with it's updates and constantly moving nature of it's “Windows as a service” mentality. :-P
I have been of the opinion that the Windows/Linux debate has shifted more to Linux on that point since 10 I regularly see folks posting bugs and fixes for something that a Windows 10 update has broken. Not to mention the back and forth that occurs as to who is to blame.

I also know from personal experience that Microsofts testing has gone down there are tons of extra undocumented dependencies and bugs that show up if you don't have everything installed just as Microsoft wants it. Mostly not things the average user might encounter but seems to go hand in hand with the problems folks have every update.

Oh and just a small point the first Linux distro I used for more than a week was Arch, the issue with it isn't that its hard for Linux newbs its that it takes a willingness to learn, and probably a bit of computer technical knowledge. I'd always failed to get into Linux cause I had no idea how to get it to work the way I wanted it to. With Arch by following the wiki guide by the time I had it up and running I knew how. Not taking issue with the suggesting its not for the average user/gamer just that its a bad first Linux experience.
Post edited April 28, 2018 by Cusith
mk47at: From all I've been reading, Windows 10 constantly breaks things with it's updates and constantly moving nature of it's “Windows as a service” mentality. :-P
yeah, you certainly hear a lot of complaining from the win10 corner ;), will be interesting to see how that plays out in the long term.
though I suspect that a lot of businesses are so entrenched in the MS ecosystem that Microsoft will have to fuck up hard and for quite some time before you see people leaving.
Cusith: Oh and just a small point the first Linux distro I used for more than a week was Arch, the issue with it isn't that its hard for Linux newbs its that it takes a willingness to learn, and probably a bit of computer technical knowledge. I'd always failed to get into Linux cause I had no idea how to get it to work the way I wanted it to. With Arch by following the wiki guide by the time I had it up and running I knew how. Not taking issue with the suggesting its not for the average user/gamer just that its a bad first Linux experience.
the Arch wiki is really great. I often find myself ending up there when looking for something. even though i am not using Arch ;)
Post edited April 28, 2018 by immi101
Lots of negativity in here. Thank you GOG and Ubuntu devs for working to end the Microsoft monopoly on gaming even such a small thing is a step in the right direction. I recently made the switch to Linux for everything except my main system (too many programs i use on a daily basis don't exist on Linux) especially Microsoft forcing upgrades on people and spying on us all for the privilege of using their crap OS.

I mainly use Red Hat and CentOS but I will give Ubuntu another look.
linuxvangog: Will be glad to answer any questions that you might have :) And happy upgrades to everyone!
I've been thinking if I had any questions - but I really don't. Just praise - Linux releases Just Work, as they should, and although I realize there's a lot of hard work going on behind the scenes to make that happen, I hardly ever think of it, as that Just Working has been the norm for a long time now, and I simply don't expect anything else.

And meanwhile I also notice the steady influx of ever more Linux titles, and that also makes me happy. Sure, there's notable exceptions - individual games which should have a Linux version here, but don't - but I know that's something to talk to the publishers about, not to you.

So, thank you for making this all seem natural and effortless.

(I just wish the same could be said about other important areas, like say... privacy by default?)
Dorzalty: And Arch will just make them cry. haha but yea, just saying, that's why GOG isn't going with things like Arch. They're not just trying to go for users like you, but for the vast majority of people…
Who knows?.. Maybe soon GOG will have to target Arch, given the trends.
:)
Alm888: Who knows?.. Maybe soon GOG will have to target Arch, given the trends.
I wonder how it would look if the sample size was bigger? That's only of 7000 users.
Post edited April 29, 2018 by Darvond
Dorzalty: And Arch will just make them cry. haha but yea, just saying, that's why GOG isn't going with things like Arch. They're not just trying to go for users like you, but for the vast majority of people…
Oh my, that's pretty impressive (I did not expect that), however I don't think it'll ever catch up. Not, at least, until they do something about the installation process. If the Ubuntu one is already "too confusing" for newbies just switching over from Windows, Arch is a no-no for people like them, which of course are the people Ubuntu targets.
The major thing I find missing in Ubuntu is the 'u' between 'n' and 't'. I always want to add it. And yes, I use Ubuntu because it's so damn easy and hassle free.
Dorzalty: Oh my, that's pretty impressive (I did not expect that), however I don't think it'll ever catch up. Not, at least, until they do something about the installation process. If the Ubuntu one is already "too confusing" for newbies just switching over from Windows, Arch is a no-no for people like them, which of course are the people Ubuntu targets.
The good thing of this is that some official flavors of Ubuntu like Xubuntu and Lubuntu has windows alike menu system...And with the right Windows theme, the average joe that came from Windows will find a very familiar environment.
Themken: A tad sad to see them dropping the Unity DE now that it is working well. I think Canonical (the developer of Ubuntu) has done a lot for Linux on pc as compared to servers, routers, workstations and such.
Well, this IS open source we're talking about. If enough people still want Unity, they can fork it. But with Wayland looming larger over the horizon, it would need to be completely reworked anyway.
Darvond: I wonder how it would look if the sample size was bigger? That's only of 7000 users.
That's only of 7000 gamers, and that's where it really counts.
Small or not, I find this sample more reliable than Steam Hardware Survey's. :)
mk47at: @linuxvangog: I'm wondering if you test games with different LC/LANG settings. I've encountered many problems (e.g. “Cook, Serve, Delicious 2” and “Stardew Valley”) with games that use Unity3d/mono on de_DE.utf8 that can be fixed by using LC_ALL=C, so it seems that they are cause by a decimal separator issue.
Some of our computers have Polish language set up by default (since our offices are in Poland and we're mostly Polish after all). These usually reproduce this issue reliably, however some affected titles might have slipped through our fingers. I encourage you to report such findings to our support: https://support.gog.com/
linuxvangog: I encourage you to report such findings to our support: https://support.gog.com/
Not if I have to enable zendesk scripts and reCaptcha to do unpaid work for a company. I'm willing to help other uses on the forum, but that would go too far.
mk47at: to do unpaid work for a company.
Reporting bugs is not a paid task, and it's your own interest.