It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Here's your new Throwback Thursday! In this week's episode of our ongoing series on some of our favorite classics, we're inviting you to explore not just one, but two worlds.

In The Longest Journey, Funcom's perfection of a Point-and-Click adventure, you'll get to visit over 150 stunning locations. Its riveting story will force you to walk the thin line between two worlds, to try to maintain the balance between order and chaos, magic and science, dreams and reality. And true to its epic name, The Longest Journey offers a satisfying 20 hours long odyssey.

But for a more personal opinion, read what one of our GOG teammates has to say about The Longest Journey and why it's a timeless adventure.

Recommended by Asia, Comms Team

I remember my first encounter with April Ryan when I was a teenager. Multidimensional travel was my thing then, and the twin worlds of Arcadia and Stark reminded me in many ways of The Neverending Story, which I loved as a kid. TLJ captivates you with its characters that still feel like flesh and blood after so many years, the compelling story that you'll rediscover with each playthrough, and the music that makes this game truly iconic.

The Throwback Thursday series is done in cooperation with The Video Games History Foundation – a non-profit organization dedicated to preserving, celebrating, and teaching the history of video games. If you want to support them, we encourage you to check their donation page. And if you'd like to see all the games in this ongoing series, go to its dedicated page.
finkleroy: I noticed a lot of people are saying that this game runs in ScummVM. It does not, though it can be run in ResidualVM, optionally with the HD mod and HD cutscenes mod. ResidualVM is currently being integrated into ScummVM, so it should support it at some point, but for now, you'll have to run it in ResidualVM.
Thanks for the info. I was about to try it with ScummVM on Linux. But it looks like we still need some time before the game easily runs on Linux.

toma85: ScummVM supports The Longest Journey since version 2.5.0, see
https://www.scummvm.org/news/20211009/
I still do not have ScummVM 2.5 on my system, but that sounds promising.
Post edited December 16, 2021 by eiii
toma85: *snip*
It's very strange that the game isn't on their list of supported games, and its current status is officially listed as, "The ResidualVM Stark engine is being merged into ScummVM. In the latest daily builds of ResidualVM, The Longest Journey was completable."

The real question is if it's now supported by ScummVM, will the HD mod and HD cutscenes mod work with it, or will we still have to use ResidualVM for those?
Post edited December 16, 2021 by finkleroy
finkleroy: It's very strange that the game isn't on their list of supported games, and its current status is officially listed as, "The ResidualVM Stark engine is being merged into ScummVM. In the latest daily builds of ResidualVM, The Longest Journey was completable."
The wiki pages seem not to be updated yet. This is indeed confusing. There is still Escape from Monkey Island left from ResidualVM. Currently, you have to use daily builds of ScummVM to play MI4. However, it is still bugged.

finkleroy: The real question is if it's now supported by ScummVM, will the HD mod and HD cutscenes mod work with it, or will we still have to use ResidualVM for those?
Yes, this mod should also work with ScummVM 2.5.0 now. It should also work with the latest daily builds.
Post edited December 16, 2021 by toma85
finkleroy: The real question is if it's now supported by ScummVM, will the HD mod and HD cutscenes mod work with it, or will we still have to use ResidualVM for those?
ResidualVM was merged into ScummVM a while before the 2.5.0 release, so I expect everything that has previously worked with ResidualVM will now work with ScummVM.

As to The Longest Journey, it does indeed work in ScummVM now, but there are still quite a few bugs to address last I saw the bug tracker... nothing critical though, so I expect you can complete the game if you stick to the usual/most walked path.

MarkoH01: Then Dreamfall Chapters came which made things even more confusing and still did not tell us exactly how it was all connected.
Interesting... can't say I share your confusion about the narrative, since it seems pretty clear to me, minus some mystery left here and there for good measure. I was quite "happy" with the ending, though it was an emotional roller-coaster... I played all the games, in various stages of my life and when it ended I felt... empty and sad. It's probably one of the best stories I've seen portrayed in a video game series to this date. It's truly more of an interactive book than a game series, and I say this in the most positive way possible.
Post edited December 16, 2021 by WinterSnowfall
WinterSnowfall: Interesting... can't say I share your confusion about the narrative, since it seems pretty clear to me, minus some mystery left here and there for good measure. I was quite "happy" with the ending, though it was an emotional roller-coaster... I played all the games, in various stages of my life and when it ended I felt... empty and sad. It's probably one of the best stories I've seen portrayed in a video game series to this date. It's truly more of an interactive book than a game series, and I say this in the most positive way possible.
I wasn't refering to the complete narrative - I was more talking about everything was connected (i.e. the origin of the narrator).
MarkoH01: I wasn't refering to the complete narrative - I was more talking about everything was connected (i.e. the origin of the narrator).
Lady Alvane? I sort of got the gist of where she came from (and why she did)... though indeed there's no explicit backstory covering this exact topic.
I just tested out the game with the HD mod and HD cutscenes mod in the latest stable build of ScummVM, and it appears to work fine.
finkleroy: I just tested out the game with the HD mod and HD cutscenes mod in the latest stable build of ScummVM, and it appears to work fine.
That's reassuring, since the game never quite worked in wine.
"A rubber ducky!"
Three things I remember the most are (in no particular order):

=> Tale of Homecoming
=> Three female children - Abratha, Abelexe and you gotta be kidding (Abpalmana)
=> Crow (best sidekick in any adventure game, ever)
Blowing the dust off some of my old screenshots...
Attachments:
guard01.jpg (92 Kb)
guard02.jpg (96 Kb)
guard03.jpg (94 Kb)
guard04.jpg (104 Kb)