It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Here's your new Throwback Thursday! In this week's episode of our ongoing series on some of our favorite classics, we're inviting you to explore not just one, but two worlds.

In The Longest Journey, Funcom's perfection of a Point-and-Click adventure, you'll get to visit over 150 stunning locations. Its riveting story will force you to walk the thin line between two worlds, to try to maintain the balance between order and chaos, magic and science, dreams and reality. And true to its epic name, The Longest Journey offers a satisfying 20 hours long odyssey.

But for a more personal opinion, read what one of our GOG teammates has to say about The Longest Journey and why it's a timeless adventure.

Recommended by Asia, Comms Team

I remember my first encounter with April Ryan when I was a teenager. Multidimensional travel was my thing then, and the twin worlds of Arcadia and Stark reminded me in many ways of The Neverending Story, which I loved as a kid. TLJ captivates you with its characters that still feel like flesh and blood after so many years, the compelling story that you'll rediscover with each playthrough, and the music that makes this game truly iconic.

The Throwback Thursday series is done in cooperation with The Video Games History Foundation – a non-profit organization dedicated to preserving, celebrating, and teaching the history of video games. If you want to support them, we encourage you to check their donation page. And if you'd like to see all the games in this ongoing series, go to its dedicated page.
Definitely one of the greatest adventures out there. I recently replayed it, and was happy to see it was pretty much as good as I remembered it. Good thing about the ScummVM support for it, as it made the game run much smoother too, probably better than when I first played it.

I can't say the same for the sequel, but I guess I shouldn't diss it in a thread celebrating the original. XD
The real advantage of ScumVM/Residual is the multiplatforming, modern compatibility and that the game runs at higher resolution than the vanlla 640x480.
The backgrounds are static prerrendered art but the characters are benefited of the higher res, looking more crispy and without the pixelation. Probably even bugfixing and real stability with modern OS's. But in my experience the game runs fine without ScummVM, even the boxed version.
Post edited December 16, 2021 by Gudadantza
I played Dreamfall soon after it came out, solely by chance. Can't remember a thing about it if you asked, but i enjoyed the experience at the time enough to recall it even all this time.

So I can't help but recommend The Longest Journey to those curious enough to try. All i can advise though is to expect nothing and enjoy the walk.
The Longest Journey is certainly an experience for point and click adventure gamers. It's remarkable in its ambitious story and ideas, and it does really justify its title -- but not in a boring way (well, apart a couple of repetitive/dragged out segments).

There's a fan-made HD mod out for it, which has really positive reviews -- I've only played the intro parts with it (using ScummVM latest builds), but it is impressive.

https://tljhd.github.io
I think this adventure deserves a good place in the point and click adventures history in its own right. It was published in a time when the genre wasn't what it was in the past and this title was one of those good quality adventures helping in a renaissance of some kind. Less AAA than Broken Sword or Syberia, the game was a hit and very well received.

Maybe the female character, like in Syberia helped. The appealing of the script, characters. more expansive length than the standard in the genre, the story, the two different worlds and a not too hard, not too easy difficulty. Also the superb art and relative quality of life features in a pseudo 3D adventure.
Post edited December 16, 2021 by Gudadantza
one of my all-time favorites and one of the very few games I played more than once. dreamfall had shitty combat and even worse stealth but the story was great, leading me to help kickstart dreamfall chapters, to date the only game I found worthy. many years later I still haven't played it, want to replay tlj and dreamfall first, but the first is long and the other still has shitty combat and stealth. maybe one day...
Haven't played this one yet, but I played Dreamfall. I wish GOG would get the original Norwegian voice-acting though. I've heard a lot of good things about it.
Great, great game, except for that, what was it, rubber-duck-chewing-gum-subway-key puzzle
PraetorianWolfie:
Nice! Will have to do that when I try out the series again.
One of the last big budgeted, true classic adventure games. Shame the sequels ditched the puzzle solving in favour of endless fetch quests and clunky combat.
Great game, I have a boxed copy from back when it came out. :D
I remember how I had technical problems with the sound when I bought the original release years ago. I also remember how amazed I was about the scope of the game and about the amount of perfect voice over (played the German version and it was rare that a German dub could really be enjoyed back then). The game looked amazing and imo it still does look beautiful and it has so many nice cutscenes as well. Years later I noticed the problem now isn't the sound anymore it's the GPU and it took years until I finally stumbled over a solution involving dgvoodoo because without any kind of hardware acceleration (which simply did not work on some cards) the game looks rather ugly. Never tried the ScummVM version yet. Anyway, I am glad that this game can be played again because it is one of a kind ... it also has A LOTof spoken text in it so you should expect to hear lots of talk without any actual interaction for quite some while. And then there is the epilogue of the game ... we all hoped that the sequel (Dreamfall) would clear things up a bit more but it did't. Then Dreamfall Chapters came which made things even more confusing and still did not tell us exactly how it was all connected. "The Long Journey Home" was announced to truly give us closure ... but it was abandoned. The game is still ebjoyable on its own but it will leave some questionmarks as well.
I noticed a lot of people are saying that this game runs in ScummVM. It does not, though it can be run in ResidualVM, optionally with the HD mod and HD cutscenes mod. ResidualVM is currently being integrated into ScummVM, so it should support it at some point, but for now, you'll have to run it in ResidualVM.

Sadly, there are a couple of possible softlocks that are only possible when running it with ResidualVM, but it's still far less buggy to run it in ResidualVM than it is to run it on its own. Just make sure to save early and often. You'll have 99 save slots. Use them. When you meet the guy who already knows who you are even though you don't know who he is, go to see him ASAP to avoid a possible softlock. Also, make sure to save right before you enter the castle in case you get stuck standing next to, instead of on, the walkway.
finkleroy: I noticed a lot of people are saying that this game runs in ScummVM. It does not, though it can be run in ResidualVM, optionally with the HD mod and HD cutscenes mod. ResidualVM is currently being integrated into ScummVM, so it should support it at some point, but for now, you'll have to run it in ResidualVM.

Sadly, there are a couple of possible softlocks that are only possible when running it with ResidualVM, but it's still far less buggy to run it in ResidualVM than it is to run it on its own. Just make sure to save early and often. You'll have 99 save slots. Use them. When you meet the guy who already knows who you are even though you don't know who he is, go to see him ASAP to avoid a possible softlock. Also, make sure to save right before you enter the castle in case you get stuck standing next to, instead of on, the walkway.
ScummVM supports The Longest Journey since version 2.5.0, see
https://www.scummvm.org/news/20211009/