It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Game: Subterrain
Installer MD5: 5afba419266173c5d5bee3da6db6e4b7 setup_subterrain_2.6.0.9.exe
WineHQ AppDB link: https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=34539
Distro: Antergos 64-bit
Kernel version: 4.6.2-1
Graphics card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 560Ti
Graphics driver & version: Proprietary 364.19
Wine version(s) tested: Wine 1.9.12

Install notes: Just install the game.
How well does it run: Perfect
Details:

First, you will need to create a 32-bit prefix and set it to Windows 7 mode in the Wine configuration window.

Second, you will need to run winetricks and make sure that you put a checkmark in the box for "glsl=disabled" if you are using winetricks with the GUI (I don't know how to do this via the command line). Please make sure to use this setting as otherwise you will have issues with the mini-map not redrawing when you enter an already explored area as well as the larger map in the Map menu not showing AT ALL. Until I realized what winetrick to use I was playing with a non-functioning map and had to use beacons just for the tram and stairs so make sure "glsl=disabled" is checked in winetricks.

I did not test the game's gamepad support but since the game plays rather well with the keyboard + mouse.

I've played the game for the past week now and I haven't experienced any crashes or bugs.
Post edited December 09, 2016 by JudasIscariot
Gydion: Strangely, I am able to change resolutions in Wine 1.9.12. Given the comment on the bug report I'm not sure why.
I'm puzzled myself, given Alexandre Julliard's comment on why this bug occurs. But resolution/renderer switching works as it should in 1.9.11 too, so I'm not complaining.

xixas: ...
Thank you very much for your extensive information. I've added it to my original post and made sure to credit you as well.

xixas: Do you happen to have a link to reference the exec options/effects?
Yes; you can try the guide at Homeworld Access. There's also a more comprehensive listing at Relic's forums.
Game: Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers - 20th Anniversary Edition (GOG-4 version)
Installer MD5: 51716ea88c2faa1dc346ae2d4c2cc1b4 setup_gabriel_knight_sotf_20th_anniversary_edition_2.2.0.4.exe

WineHQ AppDB link: https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=31819

Distro: Arch Linux 64 bits
Kernel version: 4.6.2-1
Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650
Graphics driver & version: Proprietary, v364.19
Wine version tested: regular Wine v1.9.12

Installation: Installs OK (apart from the usual error messages at the end of the process)
How well does it run: Perfect, apparently
Details: The CPU usage seems strangely high for this game. I experienced some short delays during gameplay, usually after a spoken line (be it from dialogue, or a description by the narrator). Don't know whether they're an effect of the aforementioned high CPU usage, are caused by Wine for another reason, or they also happen when playing natively on Windows. However, as mildly annoying as I've found them they don't prevent you from playing the game at all.
rampancy: I'm puzzled myself, given Alexandre Julliard's comment on why this bug occurs. But resolution/renderer switching works as it should in 1.9.11 too, so I'm not complaining.
Looking at those bug reports again it seems they are for the retail release and the original demo. My guess is the changes Gearbox did to force the renderer changed the game's behavior.

As suspected moving the Homeworld1Classic & Homeworld2Classic folders each to their own blank prefix works just fine. The installed files for the Remaster take 6.5 gig by themselves. The patch 2.1 does include the -locale fix for Homeworld2Classic. One might want to apply that first.
Post edited June 14, 2016 by Gydion
I'm trying Two Worlds in Wine, and it's somewhat messy. For instance I figured I need to install something call xact to make sure sound even works. It's still seem to miss cutscenes, and Wine AppDB is way outdated. Any advice on how to make it fully playable?

The related error message seems to be:

err:msvideo:ICLocate Required media codec 'vidc WVC1' not found!
Post edited June 15, 2016 by shmerl
shmerl: err:msvideo:ICLocate Required media codec 'vidc WVC1' not found!
Hi,

I don't have time to try it at the moment, but this issue should be related to this.
So, I would have tried to download and install the suggested file into the game's wine prefix.
Post edited June 15, 2016 by vanchann
shmerl: err:msvideo:ICLocate Required media codec 'vidc WVC1' not found!
vanchann: Hi,

I don't have time to try it at the moment, but this issue should be related to this.
So, I would have tried to download and install the suggested file into the game's wine prefix.
Yes, I added that dll using this as a guide: https://www.playonlinux.com/en/topic-8356-Two_Worlds_Epic_Edition_GoG.html

(I just compared, it's exactly the same dll as in your link above).

It didn't help though. Even after placing it in system32 and registering it, it still doesn't find the codec. I also installed all kind of stuff like in that GOL recipe, i.e. quartz, devenum, wmp10 and etc. No dice so far. May be my prefix is all messed up already. I'll try again from scratch another time.
Post edited June 15, 2016 by shmerl
So I am trying to build an Arch package of Wine 1.9.12 because there is a patch https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=40792#c8 that may make Unreal Engine 4 games run or something and I was wondering if it's possible to compile Wine with Nvidia libraries instead of the Meas things that the original PKGBUILD calls for.

Any Arch experts in the house???
JudasIscariot: So I am trying to build an Arch package of Wine 1.9.12 because there is a patch https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=40792#c8 that may make Unreal Engine 4 games run or something and I was wondering if it's possible to compile Wine with Nvidia libraries instead of the Meas things that the original PKGBUILD calls for.

You should be able to build it with Mesa libs, and then use Nvidia. They use the same interface (OpenGL), so it shouldn't matter to the binary what actual dynamic library you feed it to at runtime.

And Nvidia simply doesn't provide sources for their OpenGL, so no idea how you would be able to build against it even if you wanted to.
Post edited June 16, 2016 by shmerl
JudasIscariot: So I am trying to build an Arch package of Wine 1.9.12 because there is a patch https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=40792#c8 that may make Unreal Engine 4 games run or something and I was wondering if it's possible to compile Wine with Nvidia libraries instead of the Meas things that the original PKGBUILD calls for.

shmerl: You should be able to build it with Mesa libs, and then use Nvidia. They use the same interface (OpenGL), so it shouldn't matter to the binary what actual dynamic library you feed it to at runtime.

And Nvidia simply doesn't provide sources for their OpenGL, so no idea how you would be able to build against it even if you wanted to.
Well, two of the Mesa libs ( mesa-libgl and lib32-mesa-libgl) wanted to remove the Nvidia libs I have so no thank you :)
JudasIscariot: Well, two of the Mesa libs ( mesa-libgl and lib32-mesa-libgl) wanted to remove the Nvidia libs I have so no thank you :)
On Debian at least, both can be installed at the same time if you use Nvidia installer.

In your case just use chroot for your build environment, or full blown VM. That's the most flexible approach.

Debian has debootstrap for making chroots. Arch should have something similar.
Post edited June 16, 2016 by shmerl
JudasIscariot: Well, two of the Mesa libs ( mesa-libgl and lib32-mesa-libgl) wanted to remove the Nvidia libs I have so no thank you :)
shmerl: On Debian at least, both can be installed at the same time if you use Nvidia installer.

In your case just use chroot for your build environment, or full blown VM. That's the most flexible approach.

Well, there is pacstrap (though I haven't used it). You can setup an Arch (or Gentoo, for that matter) chroot by following the installation instructions, but skipping parts involving things like disk partitioning, bootloader installation, and similar tasks; just install the chroot. You can usually even get away without an init system in the chroot.
Purpose of MESA when using proprietary graphics drivers

As for the conflict that seems to be an Arch makepkg issue. Your nvidia drivers do provide libgl. That seems incorrect on its face. Might be worth asking about.
Gydion: Purpose of MESA when using proprietary graphics drivers

As for the conflict that seems to be an Arch makepkg issue. Your nvidia drivers do provide libgl. That seems incorrect on its face. Might be worth asking about.
Well, the Wine I built seemed to have worked as I could play games and such but I reverted back to stock Wine 1.9.12 for now just in case :)

shmerl: On Debian at least, both can be installed at the same time if you use Nvidia installer.

Yes, I am reading about chroot in the Arch wiki. Seems easy enough for even me to understand :) I might try the chroot way next time :)
Post edited June 17, 2016 by JudasIscariot
te_lanus: Extra Notes: a slightly smoother operation can be archieved via setting DirectDrawRenderer to OpenGL & setting "offscreen rendering mode" to "backbuffer" causes some glitches in the interface, but has the smoothest experience.
I just bought Industry Giant 2 during the sale because of your report. :)

I just wanted to point out it's one of odd games that actually works better in Wine with open source drivers. I haven't tested Nouveau, but with radeonsi it's nearly perfect without having to use backbuffer and put up with the annoying interface and map glitching. The only issue seems to be very slight rendering problems on maps that have water.

I tried submitting the new version and test results to Wine App DB. Anyone know how long it usually takes for them to approve something?