It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

rampancy: Is there a specific bug/glitch I need to look out for?
Gydion: Borked physics. Sliding all over the place when going downhill.
It looks like that's tied into the "Game Runs Too Fast" issue that plagues both this game and RS3D; after running directx9 or running CPU Grabber before playing the game, the game feels far more reasonable to play.

It is interesting to compare though what he considers "reasonable" with what my own experience; out of the box the first level was also playable despite the speed issue, but the probe droid bobbing looked as if someone had taken footage of the game and pressed FF on the video. The blasters are another give away; when the game is running too fast it feels like firing a gatling gun or minigun instead...

I've tried to find footage of the original PC version's Hoth level, and I've found and [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzqPwfJriCw]this. The latter appears to be likely made with the GOG release as it was released on May 8th. The latter video is pretty much the speed I've considered to be "acceptable" and is what I've got the game running at right now. The former video seems to run a little slower, but not by a huge margin.
Post edited May 15, 2016 by rampancy
Has anybody succeeded to run the GOG versions of Seven Kingdoms 2 on Linux with Wine?

The original version of the game is rated garbage on WineHQ and the new HD version does not have an entry.
Post edited May 23, 2016 by eiii
I've tried to run Soulbringer (setup_soulbringer_2.0.0.37.exe) under Linux/Wine. The game installs and starts (using SBLang.exe or SoulbringeVCnoeax.exe), plays the intro movies up to a screen with "Soulbringer" written on it. Then it stops, nothing happens, the music is still playing, but I cannot continue from that screen, no matter what key or mouse button I press. There are no messages on the console, which could give me a hint.

Any ideas?
eiii: Has anybody succeeded to run the GOG versions of Seven Kingdoms 2 on Linux with Wine?

The original version of the game is rated garbage on WineHQ and the new HD version does not have an entry.
To answer your question, I actually went and bought the game ($2.49 isn't too much of a gamble anyway), just to test it out. The first version I tried out was the newer HD edition of the game (OS X 10.11.5, WINE 1.9.9). The game itself seems to start up just fine, but it seems to suffer from redrawing issues in actual game play, making the game still unplayable. directx9 in Winetricks and ddr=gdi didn't seem to work.

I'm currently at work now but when I get back I plan to test it out in CrossOver, WINE 1.9.10 and Staging, in addition to testing the original release.

IIRC, there's also a Linux-compatble GPL version of the game, though I don't remember if it only supports the first Seven Kingdoms game.
eiii: I've tried to run Soulbringer (setup_soulbringer_2.0.0.37.exe) under Linux/Wine. The game installs and starts (using SBLang.exe or SoulbringeVCnoeax.exe), plays the intro movies up to a screen with "Soulbringer" written on it. Then it stops, nothing happens, the music is still playing, but I cannot continue from that screen, no matter what key or mouse button I press. There are no messages on the console, which could give me a hint.

Any ideas?
What version of WINE are you using? 1.9.10 was supposed to have solved a show-stopping bug with graphics acceleration. I can get the game to at least a playable state under 1.9.10/Staging 1.9.10, but I've run into an issue with flickering graphics that may be OS X specific.
Post edited May 23, 2016 by rampancy
rampancy: IIRC, there's also a Linux-compatble GPL version of the game, though I don't remember if it only supports the first Seven Kingdoms game.
There's also an open source engine for Seven Kingdoms 2, but I doubt that it will run the HD version. At least the description does not mention it. A confirmation if it runs the old version, which GOG adds as a goody, would still be nice.

rampancy: What version of WINE are you using? 1.9.10 was supposed to have solved a show-stopping bug with graphics acceleration. I can get the game to at least a playable state under 1.9.10/Staging 1.9.10, but I've run into an issue with flickering graphics that may be OS X specific.
I've tried Wine 1.8, 1.9.5 and even 1.2. Soulbringer is rated "Gold" on WineHQ already since Wine 1.1. But I may give it another try when I get a newer version of Wine 1.9.
Post edited May 23, 2016 by eiii
eiii: I've tried to run Soulbringer (setup_soulbringer_2.0.0.37.exe) under Linux/Wine. The game installs and starts (using SBLang.exe or SoulbringeVCnoeax.exe), plays the intro movies up to a screen with "Soulbringer" written on it. Then it stops, nothing happens, the music is still playing, but I cannot continue from that screen, no matter what key or mouse button I press. There are no messages on the console, which could give me a hint.

Any ideas?
I had this issue, seems to be fixed as of Wine 1.9.10
adamhm: I had this issue, seems to be fixed as of Wine 1.9.10
That already makes two. :) Thanks for the confirmation!
Then I'll wait for Wine 1.9.10 to come to Debian (or compile it myself if I get impatient).
adamhm: I had this issue, seems to be fixed as of Wine 1.9.10
eiii: That already makes two. :) Thanks for the confirmation!
Then I'll wait for Wine 1.9.10 to come to Debian (or compile it myself if I get impatient).
you could try PoL they normally have the new Wine's within hours of it being released
eiii: I've tried Wine 1.8, 1.9.5 and even 1.2. Soulbringer is rated "Gold" on WineHQ already since Wine 1.1. But I may give it another try when I get a newer version of Wine 1.9.
Well, when I saw your mention of a black screen I immediately thought of Bug #24916, which WINE 1.9.10 fixed.

The other question I'm curious about is when you launch the game, what rendering mode did you select? The black screen bug happened only when the game's D3D mode was used.
rampancy: IIRC, there's also a Linux-compatble GPL version of the game, though I don't remember if it only supports the first Seven Kingdoms game.
eiii: There's also an open source engine for Seven Kingdoms 2, but I doubt that it will run the HD version. At least the description does not mention it. A confirmation if it runs the old version, which GOG adds as a goody, would still be nice.
Well, after some extended testing I can confirm that both the original and the HD release of Seven Kingdoms 2 don't work, in both WINE 1.9.9, CX 15.1, and WiNE/wine-staging 1.9.10. I still keep running into a redraw issue where the game just renders a static screen and displays corruption whenever I move the cursor around.

Capitalism 2 (also from Enlight) has the same problems for me too.
Turok is Mac native as of today so perhaps the entry should be updated for Windows now or are the Mac and Linux Wine versions pretty close that what works for one will work for the other?
I need your help and guidance, oh masters of the Wines!

I own a Thrustmaster GP XID gamepad, and it's always worked great for me with native Linux games (both on Ubuntu, Mint, and now Arch), using xboxdrv. But alas, when trying Windows games via Wine, things have been much worse...

So far, the controller only worked out of the box with just a pair of little games: Mr. Bree+ (not the GOG version) and Super Panda Adventures, but nothing else. Were not for these 2 games detecting it, I'd have thought there was something wrong with either my gamepad or with my build of Wine (Arch Linux package v1.9.9-2). Plus, and interestingly enough, not a single Unity game seems to detect it...

I've read some of you also had trouble at some degree when dealing with Wine and gamepads, and I'm aware of the existence of qjoypad and x360ce, but I've got no idea how I should use any of them (e.g. I've tried following this post by niniendowarrior, but when it came to run x360ce, it didn't work).

So... any advice for my gamepad-related woes? Preferably, any tutorial or beginner's guide you could point me to? Thanks in advance!
muntdefems: So... any advice for my gamepad-related woes? Preferably, any tutorial or beginner's guide you could point me to? Thanks in advance!
Might this help?

https://www.reddit.com/r/linux_gaming/comments/2l6ogh/controller_in_wine/

http://steamcommunity.com/app/221410/discussions/0/828938354860178892/
JudasIscariot: Turok is Mac native as of today so perhaps the entry should be updated for Windows now or are the Mac and Linux Wine versions pretty close that what works for one will work for the other?
While WINE itself may be the same between OS X and Linux (esp. in environments like PoL/PoM), there are enough differences between OS X and Linux on other levels (e.g. hardware drivers, display server, OGL implementation, etc.) that what may work on one, won't necessarily work on the other... (Soulbringer, on WINE 1.9.10 being a recent example; it seems to work great for Linux users on 1.9.10, but in my experience, it won't work well on OS X.)
Post edited May 24, 2016 by rampancy
rampancy: The other question I'm curious about is when you launch the game, what rendering mode did you select? The black screen bug happened only when the game's D3D mode was used.
I do not get that far. The game stops on the start screen (after the into movies), without getting to a menu. I use SoulbringeVCnoeax.exe. When I use the other exe files nothing happens at all. Is there a way to change the rendering mode from outside of the game?

rampancy: Well, after some extended testing I can confirm that both the original and the HD release of Seven Kingdoms 2 don't work, in both WINE 1.9.9, CX 15.1, and WiNE/wine-staging 1.9.10. I still keep running into a redraw issue where the game just renders a static screen and displays corruption whenever I move the cursor around.
That doesn't sound good. Looks like I'll stick with Seven Kingdoms 1 for now. Thanks for all your testing!
Post edited May 24, 2016 by eiii
muntdefems: So... any advice for my gamepad-related woes? Preferably, any tutorial or beginner's guide you could point me to? Thanks in advance!
rampancy: Might this help?

https://www.reddit.com/r/linux_gaming/comments/2l6ogh/controller_in_wine/

http://steamcommunity.com/app/221410/discussions/0/828938354860178892/
Thanks! Will give those a go tonight at home. :)