It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

blakstar: I'll see if I can make some sense out of this then -- for all I know, it might come down to something like differences in the proprietary and non-proprietary drivers. I've had some games show surprising results when run on different drivers.
JudasIscariot: Maybe. All I know is that I use proprietary drivers as I can't be bothered to switch to non-proprietary ones because a) if I submit a bug report for a native game most developers will not even look at the open source graphics drivers and b) I tend to run into games that do not like the Nvidia open source drivers.
I tend to use the proprietary drivers on my Nvidia machines, but non-proprietary ones on my AMD/ATI ones, as the open source driver seems to behave much better on those machines -- so I guess I'm playing the field in that respect! :-)
JudasIscariot: Maybe. All I know is that I use proprietary drivers as I can't be bothered to switch to non-proprietary ones because a) if I submit a bug report for a native game most developers will not even look at the open source graphics drivers and b) I tend to run into games that do not like the Nvidia open source drivers.
blakstar: I tend to use the proprietary drivers on my Nvidia machines, but non-proprietary ones on my AMD/ATI ones, as the open source driver seems to behave much better on those machines -- so I guess I'm playing the field in that respect! :-)
Ah yes, I hear that the open source driver for ATI/AMD cards is the polar opposite of Nvidia's open source driver (read: good) when it comes to performance, for most games. SOMA will not work on the open source ATI/AMD drivers, though :P
Post edited April 20, 2016 by JudasIscariot
blakstar: I tend to use the proprietary drivers on my Nvidia machines, but non-proprietary ones on my AMD/ATI ones, as the open source driver seems to behave much better on those machines -- so I guess I'm playing the field in that respect! :-)
JudasIscariot: Ah yes, I hear that the open source driver for ATI/AMD cards is the polar opposite of Nvidia's open source driver (read: good) when it comes to performance, for most games. SOMA will not work on the open source ATI/AMD drivers, though :P
I guess I'll have to play that one on my Windows machine then! :-P

(As and when I get round to buying it, that is :-) )

EDIT: Ermmm, I meant the game, not the Windows PC!
Post edited April 20, 2016 by blakstar
JudasIscariot: I only suggested quartz because other Paradox games whined about quartz being missing in terminal :)
blakstar: I'll see if I can make some sense out of this then -- for all I know, it might come down to something like differences in the proprietary and non-proprietary drivers. I've had some games show surprising results when run on different drivers.
I thought this was gstreamer related. Along with what A/V plugins/filters you have installed. IIRC, it's briefly touched upon in one of the larger bug reports. I don't have the link handy though.
Did anyone manage to fix HUD issues in Requiem: Avenging Angel?
Post edited April 20, 2016 by shmerl
Gydion: That's a poor setup though with using your CA cert also as a SERVER cert. IMO, better to mint a new CA and create a separate server cert with it. Fairly weak out-of-band, but you can stick the certificate fingerprints, as text, in your play.it thread here on GOG (or anywhere not on the play.it site itself).
Thanks for the tips, I’ll try to set this up soon ;-)
Matruchus: Makes no difference. Still the same. Just to note that there was only one gog version of Pharaoh previously reported tested at Wine HQ and that was on a very old version of Wine.
It's not that old, I see 1.6.2 and 1.7.26, both of which I used until very recently. I've just tested the game with the latest stable version of Wine (1.8) in a clean prefix, and it runs perfectly, including the intro. I wonder if the problem could be due to your graphic drivers. I tested it on a laptop with an old intel card.
Gydion: I thought this was gstreamer related. Along with what A/V plugins/filters you have installed. IIRC, it's briefly touched upon in one of the larger bug reports. I don't have the link handy though.
OK -- the install the games worked on was stock Debian 8 with MATE desktop.

Gstreamer files installed were as follows:
gstreamer1.0-libav
gstreamer1.0-plugins-base
gstreamer1.0-plugins-good
gstreamer1.0-plugins-ugly
gstreamer1.0-pulseaudio
gstreamer1.0-x
libgstreamer-plugins-base1.0-0
libgstreamer1.0-0
blakstar: If I can get the game working 100% under Debian, with no winetricks, you shouldn't need to install quartz.

If I can, I'll put together another Linux machine, and see what I can produce -- you run Arch, don't you. Granted, I won't necessarily be able to completely replicate the hardware, but much of it is fairly similar these days.
JudasIscariot: It's Antergos, an Arch-based distro that uses all of the official Arch repos.

I only suggested quartz because other Paradox games whined about quartz being missing in terminal :)
Please note -- this is not actually a game report. -- just trying to help out Judas!

OK, here's my progress report so far -- I set up Antergos (2016.3.20-i686 (32-bit)) on an old laptop of mine. Please note that I chose the MATE desktop, since it was one of the lighter ones, given the age of the laptop.

Specs are as follows:

CPU: AMD Sempron 3200+
GFX Card: Nvidia GeForce 6100 Go
GFX Driver Version: 304.131-11
RAM: 2GB
Wine version: 1.9.8-1 w/ no winetricks installed at all

I tried both Europa Universalis 2 and Crusader Kings Complete. Apart from some minor flickering when changing resolutions, both games played their opening videos just fine, and also allowed me to skip them when I pressed the ESC key.

Europa Universalis 2 froze the first time, when setting up the sound during game initialization, but when I tried another couple of times, it was just fine, so I put that down to some random glitch.

Nothing else had been installed on the OS, just the necessary files (Wine plus dependencies and the Nvidia driver) to run the two games.

EDIT: Slight typo in gfx card spec -- typed 600, instead of 6100
JudasIscariot: It's Antergos, an Arch-based distro that uses all of the official Arch repos.

I only suggested quartz because other Paradox games whined about quartz being missing in terminal :)
blakstar: Please note -- this is not actually a game report. -- just trying to help out Judas!

OK, here's my progress report so far -- I set up Antergos (2016.3.20-i686 (32-bit)) on an old laptop of mine. Please note that I chose the MATE desktop, since it was one of the lighter ones, given the age of the laptop.

Specs are as follows:

GFX Card: Nvidia GeForce 600 Go

I tried both Europa Universalis 2 and Crusader Kings Complete. Apart from some minor flickering when changing resolutions, both games played their opening videos just fine, and also allowed me to skip them when I pressed the ESC key.

Europa Universalis 2 froze the first time, when setting up the sound during game initialization, but when I tried another couple of times, it was just fine, so I put that down to some random glitch.

Nothing else had been installed on the OS, just the necessary files (Wine plus dependencies and the Nvidia driver) to run the two games.
Hmmm, not sure what's going on then.

I'll have to try on another clean prefix I suppose :)

Thank you for looking into the issue, though :D
Post edited April 20, 2016 by JudasIscariot
blakstar: Please note -- this is not actually a game report. -- just trying to help out Judas!

Specs are as follows:

GFX Card: Nvidia GeForce 600 Go

JudasIscariot: Hmmm, not sure what's going on then.

I'll have to try on another clean prefix I suppose :)

Thank you for looking into the issue, though :D
No problem -- glad to help! :-)
blakstar: Gstreamer files installed were as follows:
Bug 9127 (MPEG-1) was the one I was thinking of.
blakstar: Gstreamer files installed were as follows:
Gydion: Bug 9127 (MPEG-1) was the one I was thinking of.
Not really applicable then, unfortunately.

I've had all my videos playing just fine, no quartz installed, and I've been trying to ascertain why certain other people in this thread have had trouble playing them.

Europa Universalis 2 and Crusader Kings don't require quartz for their videos, so some other factor is causing the problem.

BTW I always install each of my games under a separate prefix, so no two games interfere with each other during testing/playing.

Thanks for the heads-up on the bug though!
blakstar: Not really applicable then, unfortunately.

I've had all my videos playing just fine, no quartz installed, and I've been trying to ascertain why certain other people in this thread have had trouble playing them.
Wine does have a [url=http://source.winehq.org/git/wine.git/tree/HEAD:/dlls/quartz]builtin version[/url] of quartz. Quite possible it isn't applicable though. Particularly as that bug is specific to MPEG-1.
blakstar: Not really applicable then, unfortunately.

Gydion: Wine does have a [url=http://source.winehq.org/git/wine.git/tree/HEAD:/dlls/quartz]builtin version[/url] of quartz. Quite possible it isn't applicable though. Particularly as that bug is specific to MPEG-1.
Sorry, my wording's probably getting a bit sloppy -- I know that Wine has various built-in libraries, otherwise various DirectX stuff wouldn't work either.

I always test my games without winetricks of any kind, so as to get the best idea of the level of Wine compatibility.
Post edited April 22, 2016 by blakstar