It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

tinyE: You just ripped that off from Bill O'reilly.
Rusty_Gunn: Honest, I don't watch Bill O'reilly, so I didn't know he said first. But to me it just seemed obvious that Gamergate was part of something larger.
Yeah, a war against culture in general, otherwise I can't explain why sites like RPS and Gamasutra seemed to take the brunt of the gamergate wave but larger portals went by unscathed, almost like they were more concerned with intellectualism in the gaming press rather than real corruption. :/
Det_Bullock: Well, he fully concurs with the article (language notwithstanding), and I happen to more or less concur with the article myself.

In general I think that Gamergate is at best a waste of time and energy on the wrong targets, at worst an excuse to go against said targets under an apparently noble cause.
richlind33: Gamergate, or Chris Kluwe?
richlind33:
I don't know about the rest but I concur from what was said in the article by and large, though I'm not surprised a guy who uses that kind of blunt language might have gotten in trouble on the internet.
iiago: I can't believe this thread is still going.

Depression Quest was 3 years ago.
Rusty_Gunn: Gamergate is but one theatre (of war) in a much larger culture war that's still happening
Not a smart one. Even the name is kind've stupid. Even if all those allegations about "ethics in games journalism" were true, to equate it to Watergate shows a complete lack of perspective.
Rusty_Gunn: Gamergate is but one theatre (of war) in a much larger culture war that's still happening
iiago: Not a smart one. Even the name is kind've stupid. Even if all those allegations about "ethics in games journalism" were true, to equate it to Watergate shows a complete lack of perspective.
Welcome to modernity.
iiago: Not a smart one. Even the name is kind've stupid. Even if all those allegations about "ethics in games journalism" were true, to equate it to Watergate shows a complete lack of perspective.
The gate suffix doesn't equate something to Watergate, it merely denotes it as a controversy or scandal.
iiago: Even if all those allegations about "ethics in games journalism" were true, to equate it to Watergate shows a complete lack of perspective.
allegations about "lack of ethics in games journalism" is only part of it (at least to me) there's the attempt by academics & regressives to try to appropriate & co-opt gaming culture. And I'm not talking about a "Whitey with Dreadlocks" situation that doesn't deprive the original culture.
This whole thing did manage to bring attention to the extremely casual corruption in gaming journalism and did its job more or less well in spite of the also very successful hate and slander campaign against it which causes ripples still to this day.
At this point I consider it done and don't really care about all the other places any activist movement always tends to go in the end when they don't really know where to aim their energy/activism although I think opposition to the always active authoritarian forces (left and right) is a good thing.
From what I gathered, most of the more constructive liberal core of this movement has tended to other matters by now or is just silently watching for new cases of corruption in small and big outlets/publishers and is pleased if nothing comes up although the effort spent there doesn't seem to be so big anymore.
Post edited February 23, 2017 by Klumpen0815
Rusty_Gunn: Honest, I don't watch Bill O'reilly, so I didn't know he said first. But to me it just seemed obvious that Gamergate was part of something larger.
Det_Bullock: Yeah, a war against culture in general, otherwise I can't explain why sites like RPS and Gamasutra seemed to take the brunt of the gamergate wave but larger portals went by unscathed, almost like they were more concerned with intellectualism in the gaming press rather than real corruption. :/
Gawker went by unscathed? Before being taken down by Hulk, it lost millions in ad revenue as a result of email campaigns. Also, what about the email campaigns to the FTC regarding their guidelines about disclosure and native advertising? They changed their guidelines, and the they themselves said that the emails helped.

And what about ''intellectualism'' is gone as a result of GG then? You can still find intersectional voodoo manifestos labelled as reviews on any big site you choose. Anita isn't being shelled or whatever and all manner of various organizations still go on their own ill-informed spiels about the importance of making game characters fat or ugly or gay or whatever.
Great video from Sargon: The Weapons of Culture Warriors.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KP7vi9oLk54

Going to buy Milo's book when it comes out.
Post edited February 23, 2017 by GreasyDogMeat
I'm locking this thread - it's a sad state of affairs. If anyone has any questions as to why, I suggest you consult the forum house rules first - see here: https://support.gog.com/hc/en-us/articles/212182929-What-are-the-house-rules-Code-of-Conduct-for-posting-on-the-website.