It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

DRM-free approach in games has been at the heart of GOG.COM from day one. We strongly believe that if you buy a game, it should be yours, and you can play it the way it’s convenient for you, and not how others want you to use it.

The landscape has changed since 2008, and today many people don’t realize what DRM even means. And still the DRM issue in games remains – you’re never sure when and why you can be blocked from accessing them. And it’s not only games that are affected, but your favourite books, music, movies and apps as well.

To help understand what DRM means, how it influences your games and other digital media, and what benefits come with DRM-free approach, we’re launching the FCK DRM initiative. The goal is to educate people and ignite a discussion about DRM. To learn more visit https://fckdrm.com, and share your opinions and stories about DRM and how it affects you.
low rated
Is this childish bollocks still here? One of many disappointments from GOG.
David_Healey: 1: Yes, there should be no DRM ever. Companies should not restrict their customers. But regardless of what I think, GOG made a statement, pinned to the top of this thread, that they clearly don't stand by.

2: It is GOG's fault, let me explain.

a) GOG has created a proprietary system. For a developer (such as firefly) to make use of that system they must have GOG's permission to use it, and GOG has provided them with the necessary API/Server details to interface with it. GOG could have said no, not unless you also make an option that doesn't restrict our users or you release the server software so people can run their own server.

b) GOG has created a proprietary system. If they release the system as free software, or at least release the API/Server interface then I could connect through a different client that doesn't include the DRM.

You're right about the game not including LAN originally, I was confusing it with Stronghold 2 which did include LAN until it was removed in a downgrade.
Hoo boy.

1. FWIW, I too wish there was no DRM. Unless you plan on becoming world dictator, I don't think there's much you can do about it though. GOG has sold games that required CD keys or other such things in order to connect to multiplayer servers since its inception. I agree that the FCKDRM thing is ridiculous and hypocritical though.

a) Without this system, Stronghold Crusader 2 would have either not come here at all or come here without any multiplayer. It's as simple as that. The game was Steam exclusive until it came out here.

b) Even if the APIs were public, this hypothetical third party client would still require your GOG login. As for the other bit, you seem to be confusing DRM-free (free as in lack of) software with the free (free as in libre) software movement. GOG has never had a stance on open source software.
high rated
erbello: DRM Shops shouldn't use a "buy" word, but instead: "rent", "borrow" or "buy a ticket".
Great idea, off course. Exactly this do digital stores like Steam, EGS - don't sell Games but sell right to install games and play them, and when Internet goes down - f*uck you (without internet connection gamers can't download games and play games). GOG with it offline installers - for those who don't mind online coop or multiplayer - best choise, that's my opinion!
SirPrimalform: 1. You're going to have to elaborate. If you're saying it's not "ok" to ever sell anything with DRM then I suggest you don't look at any other online games store because you're going to have a bad time. GOG is better than the other available options, but if they've decided to allow DRM on multiplayer games then that's their prerogative. If there are no stores doing what you want then I suggest you start your own.
2. It isn't GOG's fault if a developer abuses a multiplayer framework to use as DRM. If Stronghold Crusader II had LAN and this was removed, the culprits are Firefly Studios. GOG neither requires nor asks developers to remove LAN.

Oh, and of course it matters which game.

https://en.softonic.com/articles/stronghold-crusader-ii-like-a-castle-in-the-sand
Here's an article from around the time the game was released.

So it rather sounds like the game never supported LAN in the first place, rendering your accusations that GOG has removed LAN even more ridiculous.

Because GOG didn't remove a feature a game never even had? Ok Mr Logic.
David_Healey: 1: Yes, there should be no DRM ever. Companies should not restrict their customers. But regardless of what I think, GOG made a statement, pinned to the top of this thread, that they clearly don't stand by.

2: It is GOG's fault, let me explain.

a) GOG has created a proprietary system. For a developer (such as firefly) to make use of that system they must have GOG's permission to use it, and GOG has provided them with the necessary API/Server details to interface with it. GOG could have said no, not unless you also make an option that doesn't restrict our users or you release the server software so people can run their own server.

b) GOG has created a proprietary system. If they release the system as free software, or at least release the API/Server interface then I could connect through a different client that doesn't include the DRM.

You're right about the game not including LAN originally, I was confusing it with Stronghold 2 which did include LAN until it was removed in a downgrade.
Devs should just make more singleplayer games and provide an option to download their games from their own host/server, just in case GOG kicks the bucket of [modded].

[Modded: please do not use inapropriate language.]
Post edited January 20, 2021 by ponczo_
darthspudius: Is this childish bollocks still here? One of many disappointments from GOG.
Whether its 'childish bollocks' or not - it seems to be gone now - see:
https://www.gog.com/forum/general/drm_on_gog_list_of_singleplayer_games_with_drm/post331

(And no message or anything from GOG of course.)
darthspudius: Is this childish bollocks still here? One of many disappointments from GOG.
Zrevnur: Whether its 'childish bollocks' or not - it seems to be gone now - see:
https://www.gog.com/forum/general/drm_on_gog_list_of_singleplayer_games_with_drm/post331

That's normal in marketing, once they feel the program is done they move on to something else, have never seen another company announce they were ending previous marketing they just move on to the new stuff. An example would be McDonald's, Ronald McDonald used to be the marketing face but now it's almost like he never existed in marketing and unless the restaurant has a play area you just don't see him.
Zrevnur: Whether its 'childish bollocks' or not - it seems to be gone now - see:

wolfsite: That's normal in marketing, once they feel the program is done they move on to something else, have never seen another company announce they were ending previous marketing they just move on to the new stuff. An example would be McDonald's, Ronald McDonald used to be the marketing face but now it's almost like he never existed in marketing and unless the restaurant has a play area you just don't see him.
Donald McRonald lives forever.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q16KpquGsIc
Whatever your thoughts on GOG's policies it was an embarrassing marketing gimmick that is better left behind.
low rated
I forgot about this crap. Urgh... have the edgy 15 yr olds responsible grown up yet?
high rated
The basic idea; a rallying point of DRM free stores with direct involvement of said stores, was a good one. The title choice was off and the lack of upkeep and interaction (which includes course corrections like maybe a bit less of a potty mouth approach) was IMO the actual embarrassing part though.

If they where honest (yeah, yeah; which at least by now we all know they aint; but lets assume for a second) their first Galaxy partners would had been FireFlower and making up with whatever ire they have with Zoom to bring them too instead of Sweenys Steam knockoff.
Post edited March 01, 2021 by Anothername
Many gamers didn't like it because it was about a Taiwanese fighterjet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AIDC_F-CK-1_Ching-kuo
Post edited March 01, 2021 by Strijkbout
low rated
Hoo boy, blast from the past! xD
We've moved from the FCK DRM initiative to the FCK GOG initiative.
ReynardFox: We've moved from the FCK DRM initiative to the FCK GOG initiative.
After GOG decided that they are OK with DRM now in general. Not just for multiplayer anymore.
low rated

So typical of GOG. I‘m sure that my boycot was the right decission. For me, there is no difference between GOG, Steam, Origin and Epic.